PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drifter float

4 posters

Go down

drifter float Empty drifter float

Post  pike Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:15 pm

hi all
Haven't fished a drifter float before but fishing a big gravel pit in 2 weeks time so gonna give it a go but dont have any braid and not really keen to buy some as its quite exspencive so was thinking of fishing a dart style driter float but not really sure if it with drift if im not using braid so should i forget the whole idea or just fish it with mono???
cheers
PIke

pike

Back to top Go down

drifter float Empty Re: drifter float

Post  noodle Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:28 pm

pike wrote:hi all
Haven't fished a drifter float before but fishing a big gravel pit in 2 weeks time so gonna give it a go but dont have any braid and not really keen to buy some as its quite exspencive so was thinking of fishing a dart style driter float but not really sure if it with drift if im not using braid so should i forget the whole idea or just fish it with mono???
cheers
PIke

mono will work but buy some mucilin or line floatant you cannot fish a drifter with a sinking line in way shape or form
two reasons sinkin line or untreated mono sinks and will kill the drift
anything that sinks will tangle and more importantly lead to bite offs

what rods are you plannig on using?

and braid isnt the expenseive thing you may imagine 20quid or so how uch alien is mono?
and ive b alien raid thats seven years old and still in good workig order
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pike Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 pm

im using just 12ft 2 1/2 tc carp rods with bait runner reels and how would u grease 150 yrds of line ??

pike

Back to top Go down

Post  pete777 Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:01 pm

pike wrote:im using just 12ft 2 1/2 tc carp rods with bait runner reels and how would u grease 150 yrds of line ??
your rod isnt strong enough mate,ive just started drifting and use a 5.5lb t.c rod,buy some braid,its better for setting the hooks at distance with no stretch Smile

pete777

Back to top Go down

drifter float Empty drifter float fishing

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:41 pm

having done quite a lot of drifter fishing over the years my prefered rod is a 12 and a half foot rod and a 3 and ahalf pound test curve rod i would say 5lb test could be abit on the stiff side when playing a fish close in mate .I use t.f.g banana high viz yellow which floats superbly the reason for the long rod is line pick up that extra length really helps .You can fish dead baits or lives on this rig.. Cool
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:31 pm

[quote="pete777"]
pike wrote:im using just 12ft 2 1/2 tc carp rods with bait runner reels and how would u grease 150 yrds of line ??
your rod isnt strong enough mate,ive just started drifting and use a 5.5lb t.c rod,buy some braid,its better for setting the hooks at distance with no stretch Smile [/quote

if you buy braid a 2.5 will be fine beleive it or not. you can even use a boat rod (pike boat rod) for drifting with braid the only real extra that matters is length longer rods make control easier
pete 5.5 is way too much
and how to grease 150 yards of mono isnt hard, butt ring add mucilin and let athe line flow through keep repeting this process every few dozen yards, and a pad of cotton wool work some mucilin into it and on the retrieve hold you line between it

easy but your mono will not be worth using for bottom fishing for a bit

for both mono and braid i used the same rod a 13 ft 3.5 tc rod
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  pete777 Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:35 pm

not had any probs with it casts better

pete777

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm

pete777 wrote:not had any probs with it casts better

er it will do spod rods are designed to cast big clunky weights

doesnt mean it will play fish well, although i know one angler who uses spod set ups to good effect for distance

i must admit i have some heavy rods for boat fishing though they are glass and very through actioned (5lb test built for vundu but make nice trolling rods Wink )

noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  pike Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:26 pm

ok thanks for the help guys I've got a 13 ft 3.5tc rod so will use that

pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:41 am

pike wrote:ok thanks for the help guys I've got a 13 ft 3.5tc rod so will use that
is it the greys drifter rod mate good choice Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down