PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drifter float?

+5
Eric Edwards
Dave-Newman
matt859
stubbo
crocadile dundee
9 posters

Go down

drifter float? Empty drifter float?

Post  crocadile dundee Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:56 am

hello lads, i am fishing a big water at the weekend and just thought i would ask if its worth giving the drifter float ago and whether anyone has had good catches on the method?

crocadile dundee

Back to top Go down

drifter float? Empty drifter

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 am

ive caught plenty of fish on the drifter one of my favourite mehods you can cover a lot of water with it
i prefer a windy choppy day ,braid 30lb floating , but dont fish extreme range is my advice dont forget if you hook a very large pike you have got to get it back think of the snags , islands submerged obsticles .depends on the venue really.
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

drifter float? Empty drifter float

Post  crocadile dundee Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:22 am

thanks for the reply, i have used it a couple of time but not had anything to shout about what would you sat was the best bait to use on this method? if you dont mind me asking

crocadile dundee

Back to top Go down

drifter float? Empty Re: drifter float?

Post  matt859 Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 am

If im using a drifter float then I like to use a smallish roach as bait. I just assume pike are used to picking up drifting course fish, cant imagine a drifting half herring being natural to them.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:40 am

matt859 wrote:If im using a drifter float then I like to use a smallish roach as bait. I just assume pike are used to picking up drifting course fish, cant imagine a drifting half herring being natural to them.

now that is a fair shout. Thinking about it, its obvious reference what bait to use when drifting.

i would use a coarse bait (roach, skimmer, dace), BUT my question would be, what depth??
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:38 pm

high enough so that the bait doesnt snag in the weeds on the bottom and low enough so that any pike waiting in ambush in the weed have a chance of getting to them with a quick attack. I start off about 2/3rds down.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm not having that. A pike's got a brain about the size of a pea, a small pea, and I'm pretty sure they don't know that herrings only live in the sea, or what a herring is, or what a sea is.

Whatever you do use for bait, you'll find it easier to use if you fish it head-up the trace. It'll make no real difference to your catch rate but it'll be a whole lot easier to reel in from 200yds.

Lovely method, caught my best ever pike on it (not the biggest).
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Oh what a very argumentative retort Eric. I dont really care if your having it or not, I suggested Roach as the pike are more likely to find them than they are Herring. I have a brain a bit bigger than a pea and its what I think. If you dont agree then tuff.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Easy boys, its all gone a bit PMT on here. Anyway – i fished last week with 4 deadbaits on a large reservoir which only allows you to fish two banks. I have taken a drifter with me over the last two seasons. The wind is always in the wrong direction. All of a sudden leaves started blowing past me and within seconds i had a rod in, drifter and livebait on and out it went. Slowing the drift down i covered a lot of water in excess of 300yds. The other fisherman on the bank were gutted, as firstly nobody were prepared as the wind is always in your face. Unfortunately i did not catch, but every second i felt as though it would go. It is an extremely underused method and i have caught many low doubles on other waters. Another good way of fishing the win is with a balloon and dead bait that allows you to dump the balloon at distance leaving your dead bait at range where there is little pressure from other fisherman. With either technique i would always recommend braid as it allows total control and instant contact. Give it a try this weekend if conditions allow. It’s an exciting and stimulating way of fishing. bounce
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:45 pm

No PMT from me Sainty. I have also used a balloon (well condoms actually) for drifting a bait out, but like you say the wind has got to be in the right direction.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Great technique, however i cant image the abuse i would get if my wife found empty condom rappers in my tackle box. Sad Sad Sad
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Now don't get a cob on. Anthropomorphism leads you nowhere in piking, that's all I'm saying. A pike's not going to refuse to eat a herring just because they're no normally found in the water, like I say, they don't know what a herring is.
If it works for you then do it, but it doesn't work for me.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

drifter float? Empty drifter float

Post  crocadile dundee Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm

thanks for all the replys this information is well needed, most of my fish caught on drifter where roach just of bottom like couple of inches off touching silt weed, drifter seems for deadly than what i thought Very Happy

crocadile dundee

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm

crocadile dundee wrote:thanks for the reply, i have used it a couple of time but not had anything to shout about what would you sat was the best bait to use on this method? if you dont mind me asking
done well with small skimmer bream and very small joey macks small trout
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  brownfox Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Had my only 30 using this method on a 5 inch live trout fished down a 30ft gulley on a large mere. In pre braid days with a line greaser remember them. The only problem i found with the method (ET Drifter) was when the wind blew the vane sideways you cant see it yes you can correct it, if your attention is only on that rod as it should be to prevent deep hooking. But we all know in practice you usually have more rods so your attention is divided.
I agree with the previous point made restrict the distance fished to a managable one depending on weather i would gues about 150yrds my own 30 was taken at 200yrds and i used binoculars to watch the float i still struggled to see it because of the waves.So keep the float within easy sight.
brownfox
brownfox

Back to top Go down

Post  micpiker Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:19 pm

something else for the xmas wish list.

anyone else have to google 'Anthropomorphism'? Laughing

micpiker

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:38 am

micpiker wrote:something else for the xmas wish list.

anyone else have to google 'Anthropomorphism'? Laughing
Yes I'm about to lol!
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down