PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kayak good or bad idea?

+4
doug6364
Leebob
noodle
tomthepiker
8 posters

Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty kayak good or bad idea?

Post  tomthepiker Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:48 pm

as the title says really! anyone got any experience with them? are inflatable ones any good? and anywhere with good prices for them? Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty Re: kayak good or bad idea?

Post  noodle Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Inflatables and hook could be deemed a bit risky

Prowler 13 or a big game were the common options when i was looking at them i bought a boat instead
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty Re: kayak good or bad idea

Post  Leebob Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:37 pm

All i would say on this matter is watchout for the hill billies with banjo's Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

da da ding ding ding ding ding ding affraid affraid affraid
Leebob
Leebob

Back to top Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty kayak, good or bad idea

Post  doug6364 Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 pm

There seems to be more and more about using kayaks for fishing.

I will do a "normal dinghy" boat, definately not inflatable , but you wouldnt get me in one of those things. They just arnt stable are they ?
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:13 am

Leebob wrote:All i would say on this matter is watchout for the hill billies with banjo's Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

da da ding ding ding ding ding ding affraid affraid affraid
lol! lol! lol! lol! il keep an eye out
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:20 am

doug6364 wrote:There seems to be more and more about using kayaks for fishing.

I will do a "normal dinghy" boat, definately not inflatable , but you wouldnt get me in one of those things. They just arnt stable are they ?
im not sure how stable they are iv seen a couple of guys when we go surfing they dont seem to bad when there cruising it over the waves but then again they havnt got a rod and a nice big chunky pike on the end so dont know how easy or akward it is if you catch while on one, theres not alot of movement with it scratch my bro is getting one for bit of sea fishing i think, so i may pinch his when he gets bored of it lol! lol!
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 am

noodle wrote:Inflatables and hook could be deemed a bit risky

Prowler 13 or a big game were the common options when i was looking at them i bought a boat instead
thats a very good point il end up hooking it and sinking knowing my luck lol!
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

tomthepiker wrote:
noodle wrote:Inflatables and hook could be deemed a bit risky

thats a very good point il end up hooking it and sinking knowing my luck lol!

they are fairly stable probably more so than a small boat 8ft boat you can stand on them as well if you can balance a bit.

as for playing fish its seems not to present a problem, my mate jono did get a bit of grief with a double figure trout once though, im not sure of the exact details but i think it was getting a bit of air and then went underneath the yak Razz

im considering it again but one of the provisos is i get an outboard on it, nothing special a 36lb thrust electric and two 80ah batteries will be enough, although i keep looking at little petrol numbers Twisted Evil

noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  izzetafox Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 am

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have only just joined and as a kayak angler I thought I could reassure you that stabilty is not the issue that many think.
This 120lb skate was caught by todaymeuller and posted on Anglers Afloat.

kayak good or bad idea? 8085562773_1a982c4e14_b

They have been caught a lot bigger!
Tope up to 50lb+ are frequently caught along with big conger, cod, rays etc so don't be afraid.

Pike are frequent targets too.
This was my best some 5 years ago, and yes I know there should be a mat, I was new then, I now always carry an unhooking mat.
kayak good or bad idea? IMGP0365
There are many kayak anglers now on freshwater and a lot of their time is spent fishing for predators.

Terry

izzetafox

Back to top Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty better still one of these pal very stable

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 pm

kayak good or bad idea? 18312
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty as long as you dont look like stubbo pugwash

Post  catchafishy123 Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

kayak good or bad idea? Pictur26
catchafishy123
catchafishy123

Back to top Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty Horses for courses

Post  izzetafox Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Great boats but all at a price. Smile

Kayaks are for a different job, car top, launch anywhere, get just about any where.

They are not meant as a replacement in fact many kayakers are also Portabote owners. But for someone on limited funds a kayak is ideal and some venues with lots of weed can be a problem for electric outboards. Mad

It's whatever floats your boat...to coin a phrase. Wink

Terry

izzetafox

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:06 pm

you swine i will have to dig out that photo of you ..........and you know which one catchyfishy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:08 pm

izzetafox wrote:Great boats but all at a price. Smile

Kayaks are for a different job, car top, launch anywhere, get just about any where.

They are not meant as a replacement in fact many kayakers are also Portabote owners. But for someone on limited funds a kayak is ideal and some venues with lots of weed can be a problem for electric outboards. Mad

It's whatever floats your boat...to coin a phrase. Wink

Terry
bet your kayak cost more than mine just look on ebay you will pick up a bargain like i did and you know you can get weed cutting props Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm

I bought a kayak sea fishing one went down canal few didn't fish but it was good exercise I also got chased by a swan wasn't the proudest moment of my life paddling like a mad man to get away lol!
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  izzetafox Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm

tomthepiker wrote:I bought a kayak sea fishing one went down canal few didn't fish but it was good exercise I also got chased by a swan wasn't the proudest moment of my life paddling like a mad man to get away lol!
fishing

Any sit on top can be for sea or coarse, don't feel restricted.

The main criteria are greater distances to be covered would best be done with a longer kayak, simlarly with fast tides. But 13ft will do both adequately. By the same token 8-10ft is great for inshore work but even better for lure fishing in land where minimal tackle is carried and they are very stable too.

One rule we always work to, as I guess everyone afloat should, WEAR A FLOATATION DEVICE! Very Happy

Terry

izzetafox

Back to top Go down

kayak good or bad idea? Empty iv got an inflatable kayak

Post  treble Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 am

i bought an inflatable kayak last year. its very stable on the water. it has 3 separate air chambers aswell as inflatable seats so its unsinkable and iv already burst it with my hooks and repaired it in 5 mins with the basic repair kit that came with it and carried on fishing. great for crossing big waters instaed of walking it. only disadvantage would be that it drifts quite quickly in the wind because of its weight and flat base. get one that can be used with an outboard motor, thats my next toy to buy Idea

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  izzetafox Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:55 pm

treble wrote:i bought an inflatable kayak last year. its very stable on the water. it has 3 separate air chambers aswell as inflatable seats so its unsinkable and iv already burst it with my hooks and repaired it in 5 mins with the basic repair kit that came with it and carried on fishing. great for crossing big waters instaed of walking it. only disadvantage would be that it drifts quite quickly in the wind because of its weight and flat base. get one that can be used with an outboard motor, thats my next toy to buy Idea

Apparently some people with 'pump ups' put a piece of carpet or car foot mat ove the side of the kayak for protection. They can be kept in place by velcro pad.

I tested one on Coniston last Spring it was ok until as you say you get into the wind. I would not want to have to paddle far into a decent headwind on a big water, but in the right place they can be great and you can fit them in the boot. Very Happy

Terry

izzetafox

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm

in most cases it would be difficult to burst the inflatable but i put a rod with dead bate in the kayak on the bank, pushed the kayak off to take it out with a plan to drop the bait far out and paddle back in. i dived into it, my boot caught the trace and drove it into the side of the kayak

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down