PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pike Groundbait

+7
fatcaff
Andy Macfarlane
Roly
adie1200
matt859
noodle
big_d2008
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pike Groundbait - Page 2 Empty Re: Pike Groundbait

Post  matt859 Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 pm

smaller bleps will go further.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Neath Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:35 am

Went out to a new water last weekend and, having saved a load of mackerel heads from the summer (I live on Skye so catch quite a few on my little boat) and having read your tutorial, set about making up a few b*lls of groundbait. I hadn't got any actual groundbait and, living up here, there's no way of getting it other than internet but I did have a load of crusts in the freezer. Once thawed, I just whacked it in the blender and turned it into fine crumb, then put it to one side. The fish heads followed (made a serious mess of the blender!) and I mixed it all together with a couple of tins of tuna and a spot of sunflower oil and, as an experiment, put a dollop of paprika in too, just to give it loads of scent. Andy's since mentioned anniseed and I know paprika works for carp so thought it wouldn't hurt. Into b*lls and in the freezer.
Once on the bank and thawed, I actually broke open the balls and placed an Alka Seltzer in each one to be thrown in before moulding them back together. I'd read somewhere (Mick Brown maybe?) that this helped create more of a visual 'explosion' and helped spread bits of fish and general scent everywhere. I didn't catch anything that day but, from the oil slick and gentle fizz on the surface, reckon the method has got to help.
I've tried feeding with the bits of fish in the past with great success but hadn't tried with actual groundabait so cheers Big D for making me get the blender out and try something different.
Need to get on a 'known' water now and see how it works.
Richard Neath
Richard Neath

http://www.richardneath.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:54 pm

Well Rich am glad you enjoyed messing about like a kid as much as I did. That little tip with the alkaselsa is definately getting tried on my next trip out.
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Pike Groundbait - Page 2 Empty pike groundbait

Post  crocadile dundee Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:49 am

looks like a very good ground bait mate, always thought about using groundbait but never bothered!

crocadile dundee

Back to top Go down

Pike Groundbait - Page 2 Empty Alka Seltza

Post  Richard Neath Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:12 am

Morning Big D That trick with the Alka Seltzer was, I found out last night, in a book by Martyn Page and Vic Bellars (Pike - in search of Esox Lucius), from 1990. They actually reccomend putting the tabs in a feeder though with the broken up bits of fish and groundbait.
I've always thought this could lead to pike picking up the feeder and giving the potential for a bite-off, foul hooked fish or just loads of missed runs so have never tried it.
Any thoughts on sticking your groundbait in feeders? Personally, I prefer your idea of chucking the b*lls in.
Richard Neath
Richard Neath

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Rich

I have just bought some huge open ended feeders which i intend to try out soon on the drains. I got the idea from a baitbox pike bomb but they are sealed at both ends and I have heard stories of fish picking them up with oil soaked sponges in. I thought if I used a huge open ended feeder there will be no problems with there being a cage full of food after 2 mins am just gonna move the rig back 6-12 inches so the cage feeders out the way and my bait is over the feed and fizz.

These are the feeders I got. I am still gonna be using a float ledger rig with this just running free on the line behing the lead

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/products/Barbus-Weir-Pool-Feeders-%E2%80%93-Twin-Pack.html

Big D
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Neath Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Sounds good to me - might be sorting out a few big feeders myself! It's gotta work...
Richard Neath
Richard Neath

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Thats what i though how can it not lol I won't be getting out for the next two weekends but will be trying it next time I am out which will be 10th and 11th Nov not like am counting haha
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Ive been using feeders for the last few outings and the ones I use ive made myself from hair curlers from the pound shop. Buy a packet of hair curlers take the velcro off them add a strip of lead and bobbs yer uncle.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Roly Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:52 pm

OK Big D'

Latest here' was out last week, lashed out a few balls of the good stuff.......... Noticed an immediate and dramatic increase in the amount of silver (prey) fish about. It was really quite noticable. We had a few deads out and my son was working a sink and draw smelt.
About an hour in I had a dropped run on a popped up smelt and 10 mins later the young lad got a couple of plucks at the sink an' draw but no contact......then it all went quiet. That was it, even the silver fish disappeared.

Hardly very scientific but the last 2 occaisions we fished there we blanked but we have had doubles and jacks from there previously.
Did they work? I dunno' but certainly the prey fish moved into the swim very quickly, maybe it was the crumb I used.

Dropped runs are unusual for me especially on smelts. Maybe so many prey fish in the swim was a distraction for the Pike. I'm out again tomorrow and a few days next week Very Happy Very Happy so will try them again. I've also put together a homemade feeder (a 35mm film cannister with a load of decent sized holes melted into the body of it using a soldering iron, attached by a swivel arrangement) may try that with an oily sponge or chopped mackerel head stuffed into it..........or both!

Roly
Roly

http://riverbarrowpiker.blogspot.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Garrypiker Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Great info will be trying this for my overnighter in a few weeks!!

Garrypiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Garrypiker Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 pm

I have just used this recipe to make grounbait for the first time. I used 3 cod fillets and 5 mackerel for my fishy paste I now have 37 balls of groundbait in my freezer!!! Thanks for the recipe mate I will let you know how my trip goes next weekend Very Happy

Garrypiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2