PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW RIVER VENTURE

4 posters

Go down

NEW RIVER VENTURE Empty NEW RIVER VENTURE

Post  sweets34 Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 pm

looking for some advice on how to tackle a river for pike,never fished for them on a river before so any help with rigs<tactics,bait etc would be great,static or roving,likely hotspots.Also if the river is up a bit after rain is it best to avoid the river until it drops again? its not a big river really,avon,bristol avon in the wiltshire area.cheers guys

sweets34

Back to top Go down

NEW RIVER VENTURE Empty Re: NEW RIVER VENTURE

Post  doad Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:46 am

alright mate iv done a a bit of river fishing. and i always find fishing close in try and find the slack water when its higher.i like to fish a running lead on a lead boom it lifts ur bait of the bottom and allows it to waft in the current letting all the scent of your bait flow in the current. also be mobile because if its only a small river if your not getting a take keep moving as it can pay off. hope that helps. Cool
doad
doad

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am

not done loads of river fishing but when i do i like trot a big float into likely areas under banks, trees. overhanging branches and the likes plumb it up and fish a foot of bottom to start with then try differant depths i like to use smallish roach /dace /chublets
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnym Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm

ive fished the brisol avon a lot over the years and as doad says be mobile never more than 30mins in a swim .the wier pools are the only spots i would spend a morning or longer in.ive never fancied the river in flood for pike preferred to target barbel then ,whereabouts you from?

johnnym

Back to top Go down

Post  sweets34 Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm

I live near chippenham,actually fished at lechlade on thames today,had 1 out only about 7lb,lost 1 and few missed,walked miles,upstream and down,nice bit of river,all action on the lures.

sweets34

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnym Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:22 pm

have you tried the stretch through the park ? i seem to recollect local newspaper reports of two very big 20s caught in one session,although that was a few years ago.have a chat to an old mate of mine, colin who owns premier angling hes very knowledgable about the avon .

johnnym

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down