PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks I guess!

5 posters

Go down

Thanks I guess! Empty Thanks I guess!

Post  sam0402 Sun May 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Stalking these forums for weeks has had a major improvement on my pike fishing, good for the pike but not so much for me Shocked today I went pike fishing with my friend, caught a few smaller ones (10-15lb) and my friend hooked into a bigger one (20lb-ish) unfortunately when it was close to the bank it suddenly darted into a sunken tree and got itself completely tangled, without thinking I had my jacket and shoes off and my phone out of my pocket and was straight into the water to free it. Anyway to make a long story short the pike got away perfectly fine, healthy and hook-free and I spent another 2 hours on the bank soaked, freezing, with a handful of teeth marks and a couple of new hook piercings!

well my conscience is clear but unfortunately my throat and nose are not and I can't stop shivering. does anyone have any suggestions if this ever happens again that perhaps will keep me dry and not ill?

So far all I can think of is taking a towel and a spare pair of clothes just incase Suspect

sam0402

Back to top Go down

Thanks I guess! Empty Re: Thanks I guess!

Post  lowdouble Mon May 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Well done Sam, very courageous Very Happy . You did the right thing for sure. Make sure your gear is strong enough to straighten a hook without snapping off, That way if a bait or fish is tethered by one of your rigs you can pull free. And yes always keep warm dry clothes in the car or boat for emergencies.
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sam0402 Mon May 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Well I had 15lb mainline and I think the wire trace was around 24lb. the hooks weren't stuck in the snag it was the trace and line, I didn't want to risk forcing it though and the line snapping.

Thanks though, from now on I'm never going fishing without spare clothes haha Very Happy

Last edited by sam0402 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong information.)

sam0402

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 pm

You could take a wetsuit next time haha only kidding that's pretty decent thing to do all I can think of is what low double said maybe try bullying it away from snags or something I guess but sometimes you can't really help it going into one
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Mon May 13, 2013 5:31 pm

well done that man Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  sam0402 Mon May 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Haha feel like death today, fever and cold. please don't be weil's disease hahaha pale pale pale

sam0402

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed May 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Coincidence mate. You don't get the cold by being cold. It's a virus.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  sam0402 Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 pm

ah true, you don't get a cold by being cold. however people regularly come into contact with virus's that cause colds and their bodies fight it off perfectly well but when your body is exposed to the cold for too long your immune system doesn't work as well and you have a much greater chance to develop the symptoms of an illness, rather than your body just fighting it off without you even realising it was there in the first place.

sam0402

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri May 17, 2013 3:30 pm

I get that but it would take more than a dunking to cuase your immune system to fail that quickly.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down