PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

quick hits and mackeral heads

3 posters

Go down

quick hits and mackeral heads Empty quick hits and mackeral heads

Post  Trevski Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi all, just thought I'd share a little something with my fellow esox seekers.....

I recently discovered that a well known online deadbait supplier started to stock 1kg bags of Mackerel heads at a very reasonable price.... [ not sure if they are intended for Eel fisherman or similar ] and decided to use them as chum as they are naturally full of blood n juices etc.

I got to my local water this morning pre-dawn [ drenched in the process ] and chucked in several of the Mackerel heads prior to dropping in a half Mackerel under a float set up.

To my surprise and delight I won a five minute fight with a lovely green lady of 19.3 pounds, obliterating my current PB.

Could be sheer chance or luck, but I won't be without a bag of heads when I next go out......

maybe it'll make the difference for you too.....
Trevski
Trevski

Back to top Go down

quick hits and mackeral heads Empty Re: quick hits and mackeral heads

Post  mal wynne Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:57 pm

well done on the pb mate , the mackie heads did,nt do any harm anyway Smile

mal wynne

Back to top Go down

quick hits and mackeral heads Empty quick hits

Post  Trevski Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks Mal,

I have a suspicion that it's the same fish my lad caught at 17.6 about 3 months ago...

I meant to mention in my original post that I've changed my approach this season. I've spent a lot of time on the bank doing the dawn till dusk thing.....which paid some dividends it has to be said. But on those blank days it can be dreadful.

This season I'm going for short sessions, only 4 or 5 hours at a time during the two main feeding times....., and so far its going well.

Has anyone else changed something this season that's working for them?

Trevski
Trevski

Back to top Go down

Post  Idlepiker Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:06 am

I've started ignoring weather forecast it worked yesterday, they said it was going to be a really bad day, and it wasn't.
Idlepiker
Idlepiker

Back to top Go down

quick hits and mackeral heads Empty weather

Post  Trevski Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:55 am

I remember a very well known pike angler publishing an article in which he said something along the lines of "...and everyone knows that you don't catch fish after it rains"

I beg to differ, I am relying on the weather reports less and less lately. The only weather I really can't abide is high winds.....
Trevski
Trevski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down