PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tackle tarts

+8
kell
robh107
MAD BAD ANGLER
greg
Andy Webster
Andy Macfarlane
Bazz
nickcarpy
12 posters

Go down

tackle tarts Empty tackle tarts

Post  nickcarpy Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:10 pm

are you a tackle tart?do you av tohave both rods ,reels ,buzzers ect matching?or just odd rods ect?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

tackle tarts Empty Re: tackle tarts

Post  Bazz Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm a tackle tart! Rolling Eyes Though i dont set them up together or set up at identical height & length etc.. Laughing

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Definitely not. I buy stuff to fit a situation or suit a need. I don't buy gear to match. That's like playing golf with a bag of putters. When you put your appearance before your requirements, you've lost the point in fishing. It's a messy affair, not a fashion parade.

....salute...Andy.... scratch
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:08 pm

You should see my gear mate. Most of it is over 15 years old, very battered and apart from 2 rods (original Daiwa esox) and 2 reels (original shimano 4000 baitrunners) that everything is random.

Andy Webster
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm

definatley not. if it does the job. and the price is fair i'll have it.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 pm

i like my tackle to match e.g rods/alarms, but i don't have the latest or newest tackle. i always look for a bargain (e bay) but the most important thing is that it has to do just what you want it to do. Very Happy
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm

I suppose it's nice IF it matches but I'd never buy something BECAUSE it matches. That's just daft IMO. Besides, if I was that obsessed with stuff matching, I can always use a can of spray paint. That would be nice eh?...spray all your gear HI-Viz yellow....lol

....Andy.... flower
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:59 pm

i'm not a tackle tart by any means.... i just buy and use stuff in pairs because it suits my requirements i.e. my piking gear.....
2x century armalite 2 3/4lb tc (larger lakes/long distance fishing)
2x daiwa whisker 2 1/4lb tc (close range/open water i.e no snags)
1x shimano 3500 baitrunner (used to be a pair but the other ones now had it after 15 years hard use)
1x daiwa bri-ab 5000 baitrunner (replaced the old shimano and soon to be a pair because the other shimano is on the way out too and i like 'em)
1x mitchell reel (not sure what model but its a great lil reel for lure fishing)
2x fox micron p (with modified clip cos i didnt like the gates)
banksticks (random depending on requirements)
2x john roberts butt grips (to stop an angry fish dragging my gear in on a take)
2x randomly bought v-type rests that dont match (high sided so they stop the rod being dragged off to a side)
plus assorted running ledger/float ledger set ups to suit various venues
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 pm

i like the fish on my set ups to be the same size wo betide a 29 and a 30 lol Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 pm

er no idea ill mix and match if its needed but do tend to use pairs of rods purely as im fishing on water so rods can be similar, and it makes life that bit easier to swap and change
reels though are all the same on the day bit an al about that, og the handles have to be in the right place as well (just off vertical towards the rear of the reel)

rod wise (im sure im reoeting myself now lol)
two pikers in 3.25
two super ultegras in 3.0
one super ultegra in 2.75
one aero specimen in 3.5 (13 ft)
one century canon in 2.00
two esox spinflex in 2.5 9ft
reels for everything bar the 9 footers are penn surfmaster/carpmasters just a different colour
and okuma undertakers for the short rods
i also use a shimano moocher reel to an abu silver crest 15-20lb class boat rod for slow deep trolling (30ft plus with baits) the rod although a sea tool has a softer action than a jerkbait rod and has a very through action which helps absorb lunges on smaller trebles, also being 6 ft and two piece is nice to have in the boat 'just in case'

not that ive done much of this yet but the rod works well with pike
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 pm

I must admit i'm a bitof a tackle tart Laughing I only buy stuff thats going on the cheap generally tho - or i ask for it as xmas pressies etc.

My rods don't match - apart from my 2 carp rods (diawa whiskers bought second hand for £15 each)
One pike rod was a car boot bargain that i've had for 10 yrs and one is a blank made in a local tackle shop for £40 (very good it is too) and i just bought a diawa dictator 3lb tc cause it was reduced from £110 to £55 just because it didn't have a bag Very Happy

2 reels match but only cause i got them as a pair for £50 Others are second hand buys.

I like the Korum luggage just because it's so b***dy good and will last years and years.

I do like to buy a good quality terminal tackle - hhoks, trace wire, floats and lures etc tho, although i'm starting to make more and more stuff like that myself these days so i'm cutting costs there too. These days i'm happy with what i've got + intend to use it till it breaks - which hopefully will be a long time Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

tootall wrote:I must admit i'm a bitof a tackle tart Laughing I only buy stuff thats going on the cheap generally tho - or i ask for it as xmas pressies etc.

My rods don't match - apart from my 2 carp rods (diawa whiskers bought second hand for £15 each)
One pike rod was a car boot bargain that i've had for 10 yrs and one is a blank made in a local tackle shop for £40 (very good it is too) and i just bought a diawa dictator 3lb tc cause it was reduced from £110 to £55 just because it didn't have a bag Very Happy

2 reels match but only cause i got them as a pair for £50 Others are second hand buys.

I like the Korum luggage just because it's so b***dy good and will last years and years.

I do like to buy a good quality terminal tackle - hhoks, trace wire, floats and lures etc tho, although i'm starting to make more and more stuff like that myself these days so i'm cutting costs there too. These days i'm happy with what i've got + intend to use it till it breaks - which hopefully will be a long time Cool

one of the most sensible things ive seen in a long time
good on you
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 pm

i only replace a major piece of tackle if it breaks too..... i've had all 4 of my rods since i was 14/15 years old (over 13 years ago!!!)
that goes for the 1 remaining shimano baitrunner too
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 pm

i tend to break things, and then break some more, and again

ive snapped lures in half smashed coutless eyes a good few rods and reels
bent stainless sticks snapped stainless buzz bars

the list goes on

as one friend kindly noted id break a tonka toy (and there were two less polite ones he used, one involving a ball bearing and one that is not suitable to be alluded to in here)
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:16 pm

lmao noodle..... its a good job my uncle is good at rod repairs, i managed to break one of my armalites just infront of the last eye before the tip shortly after buying them. i managed it by first strapping it to my pushbike (across the crossbar so it was streamlined with the frame), and then promptly catching a wall with the tip as i turned the corner.
he repaired it good as new although you can see the repair because of the reinforcements he had to make to the exterior of the blank.....and it must be good, i've had fish to 26lb on it since!!!
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  adamscott Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 pm

robh107 wrote:i only replace a major piece of tackle if it breaks too..... i've had all 4 of my rods since i was 14/15 years old (over 13 years ago!!!)
that goes for the 1 remaining shimano baitrunner too

Same here Rob...... I have one rod that is 18 years old. I think it is a "Barry Rickards masterpike". 2 Shimano Symetres that are 10 years old. But I have just bought a Greys Prodigy.
2 of them look a bit tatty but still work fine.

For reels I have a mixture of Shimano and Daiwa.
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 pm

Definitely not a tackle tart.

I only buy what I can afford, as and when I need to.

None of my stuff matches and the majority of it is cheap, second hand or home made (snap tackle mainly)

Currently on the scrounge for bits to make up my drop off indicator.

When I can afford to, I will be upgrading my rod to (maybe) a Wychwood Rogue. I have the matching reel so I suppose I would be a tackle tart then tho Very Happy

If anybody can think of another inexpensive rod that has a thru action in carbon (as the Rogue apparently is) then please let me know.

Don't know when I could afford one so for now and until I get a job I'll make do with my £12.50 Dragon Carp one.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

tackle tarts Empty Lidl Sale

Post  Andy Webster Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:02 pm

The Lidl Fishing Tackle Sale starts on Monday 9th.

I believe they've had some posters made especially for the big day....

"STRICTLY NO TACKLE TARTS"

www.lidl.co.uk
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Andy Webster wrote:The Lidl Fishing Tackle Sale starts on Monday 9th.

I believe they've had some posters made especially for the big day....

"STRICTLY NO TACKLE TARTS"

www.lidl.co.uk

roflmao andy Razz Razz
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:34 am

Am i the only tackle Tart on here, then? lol!

I thought a tackle tart was a person who always buys the top branded latest Gimmicky thingy..oo er you know what i mean.. Razz
In that case, i am not a tackle tart, modest Wychwood rods, entry level Shimano Baitrunners, etc...
I have the excuse of being a newbie & buying most of my gear as a "job lot". Influenced heavily by you lot.. Laughing Laughing

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:42 am

Bazz wrote:I have the excuse of being a newbie & buying most of my gear as a "job lot". Influenced heavily by you lot.. Laughing Laughing

I suppose we can let you off with having that excuse then Bazz lol!
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Bazz wrote:I thought a tackle tart was a person who always buys the top branded latest Gimmicky thingy..oo er you know what i mean.. Razz

That's about the size of it Bazz. The types that think their bankside appearance is of more importance than their ability to actually catch fish. I suppose there is the other type that imagine their catch rate will improve if they have the best, most expensive gear available. Sometimes there are the types that bring both of these descriptions together in sickening harmony. Either way, they're all bangers...lol

....Andy.... Smile
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:48 pm

when i fished tyram hall years ago for carp, there was a lad on there that used to use a spirit level on his buzzer bars, and a tape measure on the rod pod to get it all level. now thats a tackle tart lol! lol!
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 pm

I thought Carpers would get a mention at some stage lol!

I have a cheap rod pod, the Daiwa Mission one. In the shop it looked a bargain. I am an Engineer & have an eye for surface finishes, tolerances & angles etc... I got it home & set my rods up on it in my hall (the tackle tart instinct in me Laughing ). It was soon apparant that it wasn't so well engineered, it is cock eyed when viewed from behind at low level. Ah well, for occasional use it will do the job. Rolling Eyes

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down