PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New season

+4
adie1200
lowdouble
David Wynne
psion
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New season  - Page 2 Empty Re: New season

Post  mal wynne Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:48 pm

I've spent the summer lure fishing like I always do , only had a couple pike to about 8 pound from some of the mountain lakes, but I've spent most of my time fishing a small local river getting me waders on and fishing tiny cranks and soft plastics , I've done well with trout, Perch , Grayling and Chub, I did spend a week in hospital in early April with Covid and it wasn't pleasant, I was lucky coz there was a few fatalities while I was in , the trouble is in this area of north east Wales any blokes who are getting on a bit were probably miners when they were younger and their lungs are knackered anyway, I'm ok now apart from getting breathless more often than I  used to, looking forward to the winter season hoping that it's not going to be too wet coz I like fishing the river and the Dee floods a lot Very Happy

mal wynne

David Wynne likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 am

Went out last Sunday, glad I did as this weekend is write off weather wise here.I would have gone anyway when I was younger but I've never done any good in continuous rain in the past so better to have some family time instead.
Last week I ended up with 8 with at least 4 being low doubles,2 others were maybe scraper doubles or just under. I don't normally bother with weighing unless they look to be near 20.Nice day out and a good to start the season with a few.
We seem to have not had the same amount of covid down here in the south west as at a lot of you have had up north though that could change. I had something with very similar symptoms just before Xmas,unlike any virus I've had before and other people I know had the same around the same time.Some are wondering if we had a dose before everyone else and that's why infection rates are lower here but could have just been something else I guess.
By the way I notice Stubbo hasn't posted on this thread,he normally posts more than anyone on here,hope he is ok.

mattjb

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:20 am

Look's like a few people on here have had the virus and are now well.
That sounds like a good start to your season Matt. I hope to be out again Wednesday.
I also was thinking that Stubbo as not rejoin us I do hope he is okay.

psion

Back to top Go down

New season  - Page 2 Empty still here guys

Post  stubbo Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:14 pm

hi guys just arrived home today been on my hols

been fishing my knackers off , none stop boat fishing , after the bass, and big Pollock to lures and live baits
like some off us on here, i was really ill end of February so could have been the virus, lost sense of smell and taste
and really tired and out of breath for 4 weeks......but was lucky, not like some of the poor buggers in hospitals
will put some pics on tomorrow , also had a few pike on lures but very small
so yes guys I am alive and kicking.... thanks for the concern...
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:58 am

Been out a few times this season before being locked down again, managed to avoid blanking so far. Best fish so far was this 15Lbs 4oz fish which was pleasing as it's my best fish from here for a few years and albeit a little bit on the skinny side, looked to be a young fish in immaculate condition. I had another of 9Lbs on the same day, again a little skinny but another young and healthy fish. Anyone who knows this venue (stubbo) will know it's been through the grinder for a number of years, but despite this, I actually feel optimistic for the place this season.

New season  - Page 2 Img_3313
David Wynne
David Wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:22 pm

David Wynne wrote:Been out a few times this season before being locked down again, managed to avoid blanking so far. Best fish so far was this 15Lbs 4oz fish which was pleasing as it's my best fish from here for a few years and albeit a little bit on the skinny side, looked to be a young fish in immaculate condition. I had another of 9Lbs on the same day, again a little skinny but another young and healthy fish. Anyone who knows this venue (stubbo) will know it's been through the grinder for a number of years, but despite this, I actually feel optimistic for the place this season.

New season  - Page 2 Img_3313
it certainly has Dave  , I have been back myself last year twice and had a good session having 4 fish in no time , all good condition nothing over 8lb but things might be looking up .....will be having ago myself but It fishes better after a few frosts for me .........Very Happy by the way nice bream you had there dave .....that venue can be all or nothing , but I think that particular strain of pike in there given the chance can go huge ....just look at the head of your 15lb fish ...some venue I fish the pike have really small slim heads in comparison to there body size me thinks its all down to genetics of the pike ...or could just be down to the food protein source .......

Last edited by stubbo on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:25 pm

Stunning markings on that fish David Very Happy Nice one, It does look a little under nourished though as you say, a good winter feed up will sort it out Wink
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 pm

I agree nice markings. I have noticed that on trout waters they have smaller heads to their body size.
Good to see you back Stubbo alive and kicking the fourm would not be the same without you.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:52 pm

psion wrote:I agree nice markings. I have noticed that on trout waters they have smaller heads to their body size.
Good to see you back Stubbo alive and kicking the fourm would not be the same without you.
cheers pal , you nearly brought a tear to my eye........ lol! lol! lol! lol!
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:28 pm

lowdouble wrote:so,   day 3 of the season.     5 trout over 3lb 8oz,   best going 8lb 4oz,    a load of jacks and a few lower doubles,   50 plus Perch to 1lb 6oz all  topped of with a venue PB of 26lb 10oz .   not too bad a season so far lol.    water temps falling fast and a real Autumn feel to the air.   Bring on those first frosty calm mornings☺

New season  - Page 2 20200911

New season  - Page 2 20200910
cracking start to your season pal ....well in
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:33 pm

psion wrote:New season  - Page 2 20200910
Well done Lowdouble  I love the trout stunning fish. This is a picture of my twenty I hope we haven't peaked to early.
I was out again the other day and blanked it was a new river venue, I think the conditions were against us very bright and the river was low will
give it another go later in the season.
I am going again Thursday reservoir this time. I hope you get out soon Adia its good just to get out on the bank.
looks like your having a good start to the season psion.......well in pal Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Yes, it was a great start to the season and my mate had a 21 pounder the following week.
I thought if anyone on here is thinking of topping up their freezer I'd recommend a new bait supplier - Gabba Baits. The quality is very good, I haven't
compared prices but they don't seem too bad. One thing tho, the Herring tails are a bit on the big side - I haven't tried casting them yet!!
Another company that I've used, who did a good job of bringing my Fox receiver back to life, is Dalectronics.
Hope this info helps.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 pm

psion wrote:Yes, it was a great start to the season and my mate had a 21 pounder the following week.
I thought if anyone on here is thinking of topping up their freezer I'd recommend a new bait supplier - Gabba Baits.  The quality is very good, I haven't
compared prices but they don't seem too bad. One thing tho, the Herring tails are a bit on the big side - I haven't tried casting them yet!!
Another company that I've used, who did a good job of bringing my Fox receiver back to life, is Dalectronics.
Hope this info helps.
do you order on line and they deliver to your door......its hard to get good quality bait these days....

stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:32 pm

Yes have a look at their web site I think delivery is £10.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:04 pm

psion wrote:Yes have a look at their web site I think delivery is £10.
prices seem ok ,but a lot of bait out of stock.... for now
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:25 pm

That's a shame I will have a look tomorrow.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:53 pm

I have been on the website, not looking good I have email him asking when things may improve.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:15 pm

psion wrote:I have been on the website, not looking good I have email him asking when things may improve.
while on holiday caught a lot of joey mackerel just about the right size and plenty of lance ...large sand eels which can be very good baits on waters where the pike feed on eels, I like to fish a big roach dead baits which seems to out fish all my other baits but cant get enough from the tackle shops ...they sell out quickly...
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Tigi113 Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:49 pm

£3.90 for three large smelts per pack from my local tackle shop Shocked , ,,,,am just about over it now,,,,
Tigi113
Tigi113

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:57 pm

Tigi113 wrote:£3.90 for three large smelts per pack from my local tackle shop Shocked , ,,,,am just about over it now,,,,
I bought 6 smelt the other day for 2.50 .........at my outlet but I do shop there often ...... What a Face
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Tigi113 Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:07 am

stubbo wrote:
Tigi113 wrote:£3.90 for three large smelts per pack from my local tackle shop Shocked , ,,,,am just about over it now,,,,
I bought 6 smelt the other day for 2.50 .........at my outlet  but I do shop there often ...... What a Face
first thing I did when I got home was check https://www.onlinebaitsuk.co.uk/Pike-Baits-22/Smelts-37 there down as turbo smelts so paid about right price, They have gone up abit since I last bought deads....
Tigi113
Tigi113

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2