Dragon carp

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dragon carp

Post  Alex Makk on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:24 pm

I have been on maggot drowner's (forum) and some of the people seen to be slagging the shop down.....Because of 'dodgy gear' that it's supposed to be selling and refer to the owner as 'Dodgy Roger'. I am one of these people who cannot afford a reel at a 100 a piece so i make do with what my tackle shop does between 10-20.I have brought LOADS of gear off them...still serving me well
I dont know weather any of you lads have had any stuff brought off them. but if so can you say if they served you well?
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Bazz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm

I know Lefty uses one of their fibreglass Pike Rods and has caught some good fish with it. MAD BAD put a good post on here, though... You can, with a bit of searching to do, find much better gear without paying much more for it. Isn't that right, Mad Bad? Very Happy

Bazz

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Bazz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:34 pm

Two of the reels we used at B******D last Sunday were 30 Mitchell Premiums off Pauls Angling Supplies, he trades on e-bay but these were "as new", I did not bid in auction for them.

Bazz

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Alex Makk on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:39 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-carbon-pike-rod-baitrunner-reels-inc-line_W0QQitemZ250417342142QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL?hash=item3a4e0966be#ht_583wt_732

What do you think of these as a starter set for me (and others) deadbaitng bazz?
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Bazz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Looks very good to me.....

What do others think?

Bazz

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Andy Webster on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 pm

I wish starter packs were that price when I started.

Looks ok to me, without handling them obviously.

I use Lineaeffe trace wire and I really rate it.

Andy

_________________
Andy Webster
www.pikeangler.co.uk
avatar
Andy Webster

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2008-08-03
Age : 47
Location : Doncaster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Bazz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Good point Andy, it pays to view & feel the gear, especially rods..

I took a flier on the Mitchells, based on past reputation (I still have a 1970's 300), they are no longer French made but work fine..

Bazz

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Andy Webster wrote:I wish starter packs were that price when I started.

Looks ok to me, without handling them obviously.

I use Lineaeffe trace wire and I really rate it.

Andy

...Brings me onto a topic I have wanted to raise for the last week or so.................I have never bought tackle on ebay or any website for that matter. Are there any tips, tricks, or recomendations you guys are prepared to impart when purchasing fishing goods that you can't physically see, touch, and feel online???

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Andy Webster on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58 pm

I think its worth the risk at that price

When, Mr Makk, you start working in years to come you can tart yourself with whatever you fancy, to a point. But I am from Yorkshire and I have a notoriously squeeky walk so I would be tempted by these, were I in your shoes. I bet they will last a good couple of years. If they don't then you could probably send them back.

Andy

_________________
Andy Webster
www.pikeangler.co.uk
avatar
Andy Webster

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2008-08-03
Age : 47
Location : Doncaster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Alex Makk on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:59 pm

duane wrote:

...Brings me onto a topic I have wanted to raise for the last week or so.................I have never bought tackle on ebay or any website for that matter. Are there any tips, tricks, or recomendations you guys are prepared to impart when purchasing fishing goods that you can't physically see, touch, and feel online???

That's a good question
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:02 am

MrMakk wrote:
duane wrote:

...Brings me onto a topic I have wanted to raise for the last week or so.................I have never bought tackle on ebay or any website for that matter. Are there any tips, tricks, or recomendations you guys are prepared to impart when purchasing fishing goods that you can't physically see, touch, and feel online???

That's a good question
Hopefully we will get a reply...............

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Alex Makk on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:03 am

duane wrote:
MrMakk wrote:
duane wrote:

...Brings me onto a topic I have wanted to raise for the last week or so.................I have never bought tackle on ebay or any website for that matter. Are there any tips, tricks, or recomendations you guys are prepared to impart when purchasing fishing goods that you can't physically see, touch, and feel online???

That's a good question
Hopefully we will get a reply...............

Andy posted something
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Andy Webster on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:04 am

duane wrote:
Andy Webster wrote:I wish starter packs were that price when I started.

Looks ok to me, without handling them obviously.

I use Lineaeffe trace wire and I really rate it.

Andy

...Brings me onto a topic I have wanted to raise for the last week or so.................I have never bought tackle on ebay or any website for that matter. Are there any tips, tricks, or recomendations you guys are prepared to impart when purchasing fishing goods that you can't physically see, touch, and feel online???

Use Paypal or a credit card as you will be automatically covered should something go wrong. Online sales will be subject to the sale of goods act so you are covered for faults. Stick to sites that you have heard of. Ebay, Tackle shops that have websites such as The Tackle Shop at Gainsbrough, Chapmans, Leslies of Luton, Bennetts of Sheffield offer credit (Bosfish.co.uk) should all be ok. There are plenty more (just don't point the finger at me if you have a bad experience) lol!

Andy

_________________
Andy Webster
www.pikeangler.co.uk
avatar
Andy Webster

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2008-08-03
Age : 47
Location : Doncaster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  adie1200 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:06 am

[quote="duane

...Brings me onto a topic I have wanted to raise for the last week or so.................I have never bought tackle on ebay or any website for that matter. Are there any tips, tricks, or recomendations you guys are prepared to impart when purchasing fishing goods that you can't physically see, touch, and feel online???[/quote]

if i see some tackle i fancy on the net i try to find it in a tackle shop so i can hold it and find out if i like it before buying it online Wink that is unless i find its cheaper in a local tackle shop Very Happy

I've had a few things from dragon carp and its like all cheap tackle if you look through it all you will find some decent tackle Wink
I've got a barbus baitrunner from them for 20 had it 3 years now and its spot on but on the other hand i got a 20 2 1/2lb tc pike rod last year only for it to snap the first time out and i was only shaking my snap tackle lose from some grass and not even pulling hard on it Rolling Eyes

they do sell some branded tackle which is worth looking at though Very Happy
avatar
adie1200
Admin

Posts : 3429
Join date : 2008-11-05
Age : 60
Location : Doncaster

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 am

adie1200 wrote:[quote="duane

...Brings me onto a topic I have wanted to raise for the last week or so.................I have never bought tackle on ebay or any website for that matter. Are there any tips, tricks, or recomendations you guys are prepared to impart when purchasing fishing goods that you can't physically see, touch, and feel online???

if i see some tackle i fancy on the net i try to find it in a tackle shop so i can hold it and find out if i like it before buying it online Wink that is unless i find its cheaper in a local tackle shop Very Happy

I've had a few things from dragon carp and its like all cheap tackle if you look through it all you will find some decent tackle Wink
I've got a barbus baitrunner from them for 20 had it 3 years now and its spot on but on the other hand i got a 20 2 1/2lb tc pike rod last year only for it to snap the first time out and i was only shaking my snap tackle lose from some grass and not even pulling hard on it Rolling Eyes

they do sell some branded tackle which is worth looking at though Very Happy[/quote]

Having to kit myself out from scratch again, this is my biggest concern - I can't afford to be buying things twice (the first time based on price, and the second time based on quality).
I would rather pay good money for quality gear the first time round than burn my fingures with cheap kit - does that make sense???
Also don't want to slip up on a bargain though???? affraid

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Andy Webster on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 am

It does make sense Duane

Done that too many times, being a Yorkshireman and all... lol!

Andy

_________________
Andy Webster
www.pikeangler.co.uk
avatar
Andy Webster

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2008-08-03
Age : 47
Location : Doncaster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Lefty on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:25 am

I use a Dragon Carp 2.5lb TC rod and have always been pleased with it in every respect apart from the weight. It has never given me cause for concerns over it's capabilities and never felt out gunned. Not bad really considering it only cost me 12.50 and, as it's a 3 piece rod, packs away to just 4ft.

I suppose with carp and pike fishing, the rod weight is not really too much of an issue because for 90% of the time it's sat on your rod rests. It's only whilst casting and reeling in that you have hold of it.

I have a back condition called Schmorl's Nodes and this past couple of years has started to affect me again. When I had my PB early this year, I bloody well knew about it. Not only did I have an angry 16lb 8oz pike on the end of my line that was pulling like a locomotive, I was also using a rod that isn't exactly a lightweight. To say I suffered later was an understatement.

Therefore, this Christmas I have convinced our lass to get me a carbon fibre rod. The lighter weight of it may put less of a strain on my back.

I gave her a list of possibles and she has opted for a Wychwood Reaction as it is only 30 (ish)

I would have preferred another 3 piece rod as I have a 4ft rod holdall that is ideal for travelling light. My other holdall is 6ft and a damn sight heavier. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

With regards the 'kits' (and in particular the one you have seen MrMakk) they usually come with inferior line. So, if you were to opt for one also budget in for a spool of good quality line of 15lb or more breaking strain.

If you wish to go with Dragon Carp, they do a pike kit where you get 2 rods, 2 reels, and some other bits and bobs complete with holdall for 50. My mate got it last year for a present. I'm convinced the rods are the exact same as mine but with a green finish to them instead of black and the reels don't seem too bad but the line is terrible. Too stiff for my liking and too much memory.

If you are interested, this is it:
http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/acatalog/SSP-Y1.html

BTW, the rod holdall in the picture is the 4ft one I have. My mate passed it on to me as he said it was no good for him. Cool

If you can afford more expensive, better quality tackle then do so. But only by handling the rods and reels first at a tackle shop. That way you can see how balanced and comfortable they are. Obviously buying the cheap kits you are not going to get up to the minute technology and top quality but you can come across some bargains this way.
avatar
Lefty

Posts : 1297
Join date : 2008-08-26
Age : 47
Location : Cadeby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:30 am

Lefty wrote:I use a Dragon Carp 2.5lb TC rod and have always been pleased with it in every respect apart from the weight. It has never given me cause for concerns over it's capabilities and never felt out gunned. Not bad really considering it only cost me 12.50 and, as it's a 3 piece rod, packs away to just 4ft.

I suppose with carp and pike fishing, the rod weight is not really too much of an issue because for 90% of the time it's sat on your rod rests. It's only whilst casting and reeling in that you have hold of it.

I have a back condition called Schmorl's Nodes and this past couple of years has started to affect me again. When I had my PB early this year, I bloody well knew about it. Not only did I have an angry 16lb 8oz pike on the end of my line that was pulling like a locomotive, I was also using a rod that isn't exactly a lightweight. To say I suffered later was an understatement.

Therefore, this Christmas I have convinced our lass to get me a carbon fibre rod. The lighter weight of it may put less of a strain on my back.

I gave her a list of possibles and she has opted for a Wychwood Reaction as it is only 30 (ish)

I would have preferred another 3 piece rod as I have a 4ft rod holdall that is ideal for travelling light. My other holdall is 6ft and a damn sight heavier. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

With regards the 'kits' (and in particular the one you have seen MrMakk) they usually come with inferior line. So, if you were to opt for one also budget in for a spool of good quality line of 15lb or more breaking strain.

If you wish to go with Dragon Carp, they do a pike kit where you get 2 rods, 2 reels, and some other bits and bobs complete with holdall for 50. My mate got it last year for a present. I'm convinced the rods are the exact same as mine but with a green finish to them instead of black and the reels don't seem too bad but the line is terrible. Too stiff for my liking and too much memory.

If you are interested, this is it:
http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/acatalog/SSP-Y1.html

BTW, the rod holdall in the picture is the 4ft one I have. My mate passed it on to me as he said it was no good for him. Cool

If you can afford more expensive, better quality tackle then do so. But only by handling the rods and reels first at a tackle shop. That way you can see how balanced and comfortable they are. Obviously buying the cheap kits you are not going to get up to the minute technology and top quality but you can come across some bargains this way.

Lefty, that is your story and you stick to it...................whatever gets you bigger and better tackle from your lass is fine in my books mate. Wink
lol! lol! lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Bazz on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:39 am

Bigger & better 'Tackle' is always welcome.... Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil lol!

Bazz

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Lefty on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:39 am

There's nowt wrong wi' me tackle, it's filled prams lol!

I don't exaggerate about my back though. Had 6 months on the sick from work a few years back and ended up having to have physio. I do believe though that by using lighter tackle will help me be able to keep going onto the banks for a little longer before it gets too bad to be able to do it.

If it doesn't work then sod it, I'll keep plodding on and taking the tablets. I always vowed that it won't get the better of me if I can help it.
avatar
Lefty

Posts : 1297
Join date : 2008-08-26
Age : 47
Location : Cadeby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:45 am

Lefty wrote:There's nowt wrong wi' me tackle, it's filled prams lol!

I don't exaggerate about my back though. Had 6 months on the sick from work a few years back and ended up having to have physio. I do believe though that by using lighter tackle will help me be able to keep going onto the banks for a little longer before it gets too bad to be able to do it.

If it doesn't work then sod it, I'll keep plodding on and taking the tablets. I always vowed that it won't get the better of me if I can help it.

As I said, that is your story and you stick with it..........................who are we to disagree??? Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Bazz on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:54 am

Talk about bad backs, in 1996 I was competing in a cyclocross race in Sherwood Forest one Saturday & went over the handle bars on a steep drop-off! I broke T4 vertebrae in my spine.. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
2 weeks in Hospital & a Titanium "Methdian Rig" in my back, 6 months off work on statutory sick pay Mad I got into debt & sold my then fishing gear (including some Piking) to my work mates..
These days I'm pretty well OK although i can always feel a "stiff sensation" between my shoulders, the nerves were damaged when the surgeon stuck in the scalpel!
I do like my reclining fishing chair, I can soon get backache, so Lefty, I know how you feel..

Bazz

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:58 am

Bazz wrote:Talk about bad backs, in 1996 I was competing in a cyclocross race in Sherwood Forest one Saturday & went over the handle bars on a steep drop-off! I broke T4 vertebrae in my spine.. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
2 weeks in Hospital & a Titanium "Methdian Rig" in my back, 6 months off work on statutory sick pay Mad I got into debt & sold my then fishing gear (including some Piking) to my work mates..
These days I'm pretty well OK although i can always feel a "stiff sensation" between my shoulders, the nerves were damaged when the surgeon stuck in the scalpel!
I do like my reclining fishing chair, I can soon get backache, so Lefty, I know how you feel..

Talk about stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.....................hope the fishing tackle went to a good home and is still well??? Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Bazz on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 am

Yes Duane, I work somewhere else these days but see one of the ex-wokmates often.... he bought my Aitken 5 tip Quiver rod & its still going strong.

Note to Doncaster lads...... Sherwood Forest / Robin Hood / Nottingham Castle.. where Robin Hood came from, NOT Doncaster / South Yorkshire Razz Razz Razz Razz Basketball lol!

Bazz

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:09 am

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon carp

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum