PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Venues.....PMs???

+15
pikeing pirates
noodle
Steve French
jim
nickcarpy
bigchris
Andy Webster
Mark Green.PAC
adie1200
wolfie
essox_lucius
MAD BAD ANGLER
Slidze
Lefty
Andy Macfarlane
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Venues.....PMs??? Empty Venues.....PMs???

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:41 pm

There's a general consensus on most fishing forums that mentioning venues is generally a bad idea. We have noddies, half-arsed campers, messy gits, beer drinkers, fire-starters and fish-killing immigrants, to name a few, all reading the net. It's been proven in the past that mentioning venues can be the kiss of death, so I think it would a good idea to keep all talk of venues to PMs only. By all means ask about a venue but I think any replies should be best kept to the PMs.

What does everyone think???
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Venues.....PMs??? Empty Re: Venues.....PMs???

Post  Lefty Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:25 pm

Totally agree with you on that on Andy.

Anybody else care to comment?
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slidze Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:02 pm

Aye......that seems to make sense to me. For you guys that have been doing this for a lot longer than me, who fish all over, I'm sure that you want to preserve good fishing spots. I'm sure I'll travel around in the future to fish but I'm content with my patch at the moment. I'll definitely send a PM if when I decide to move around Wink
Slidze
Slidze

http://slidzenicely.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:43 pm

OK YES A VERY VALID POINT. NEVER GAVE IT MUCH THOUGHT BEFORE, AS I THOUGHT ONLY RESPONSIBLE ANGLERS WOULD BE READING THIS, BUT AS YOU SAY IF ITS ON THE NET ANY FOOL CAN READ IT. I HAVE NO PROB WITH PM ING PEOPLE ABOUT VENUES, ONLY TROUBLE IS IF 10 WANT TO KNOW, THEN THATS A LOT OF MESSAGES. SUPPOSE IT IS WORTH IT THOUGH TO KEEP OUR FAVOURITE PLACES SAFE.
TIGHT LINES...THE MAD BAD ANGLER Embarassed Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Venues.....PMs??? Empty venues

Post  essox_lucius Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:20 am

i agree totaly a loch i fished was blabbed about and its pretty much ruined the fishing you can only tell whole families of numpties to f*** off so many times and i spent half a day picking up there beer cans so the fishing wasnt banned our lass thought i was an alki ffs on venues if anyone has a north east venue or borders worth trying happy to hear about
essox_lucius
essox_lucius

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 am

as you know andy we follow this practise on pikeforum and i think it the general feeling amongst our users is its a very good idea ok some moan about it but the mods on there feel that the ppl who moan about it are just after big quick hits of fish then they move on to the next named venue or are to lazy to get of thier butts and do some home work on the venue + it helps to ease the angling pressure on such venues and if we save just 1 fish from being hammered then we feel we have served our purpose

long live the no naming policy of waters
wolfie
wolfie

http://www.pikeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:20 am

I agree with you about naming water Wink I know of two rivers in and around Doncaster that had a really good head of pike until word got out and now they have been almost decemated ! one of them i found a spot that no one fished at all back in 1985 i never failed to land at least 3 pike and up to 10 in a day up to 23lb Cool Cool
But its almost devoid of pike now Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

So yes pms are the best way Wink Wink

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:20 pm

wolfie wrote:long live the no naming policy of waters

Quite right mate... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Green.PAC Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Venues are still being named on the forum though Sad

Mark Green.PAC

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 pm

They are Mark and I fear that it will take a barrage of anglers, some dead pike and some very unhappy pikers before it stops. scratch

I wonder wether I should moderate the posts but I think it would take quite a lot of work.

I like to feel that someone has contributed to the forum before revealing anything and then again I would stear clear of specifics and do it via a pm.

What do you all think?

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Venues.....PMs??? Empty pm venues

Post  bigchris Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:04 pm

i think we should keep it to pms,but it a bit difficult regarding venues we have listed on web site.as its not just us forum members that fish them and we cant keep everyone that accesses the site from talking.but i think if we are fishing venues should keep it to pms.i personaly have decieded not to fish the ponds or pits anymore but stick to rivers and open waters,where the fish are less pressured.obviously if i catch i will still post minus the detail but would be happy to pm other forum members if askd

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm normally quite happy to arrange a day out with forum members close to my area and if it's upto me to choose the venue, I normally pick an easy, jack-infested water that will allow me to demonstrate tactics and ideas, catch some fish and give me an idea of what the person is like.
If they seem OK, listen to what they're being taught and prove to be consistently trustworthy, the quality of the venues will slowly but surely improve. If I think my trust has been abused or the person just doesn't seem to be interested in learning watercraft and just wants to add numbers to their personal list of fish, I generally leave them alone after that and they can find out about venues the slow, hard way, without my assistance.
Like I've said before, I'll help anyone but nothing is instant in this game. If you give what you get and appreciate my time and experience, I'll always do my best to push things in the right direction at what I believe to be a safe pace. Sometimes it might take 3-4 sessions before I'll put someone onto a good venue and sometimes, it'll take months or even years but just occasionally, they'll get nothing but a ring-tone.
How things proceed is generally upto them.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 pm

only joined a bit go but people af helped me on forum on where to fish around doncaster area,most av kept it to pm;s so i return same.i moved from worsop area an know a few good waters round there so anyone wants help pm me Very Happy Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi im new to the site myself and would say keep it to pm's as a good pike water can soon become a dead pike water and they are a long time dead Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Im no expert on the waters around Donny but if i can help in any way with anything i will !! by pm of cause Very Happy

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Green.PAC Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi Adie

Welcome to the forum mate, Totaly agree with your post once a pike water takes alot of angling pressure the pike become harder to catch or sometimes they die through being repeatedly caught or bad handling.

Mark Green.PAC

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Green.PAC Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Well done to the MODs Very Happy

Mark Green.PAC

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:24 pm

A policy has been drawn up and we would appreciate it if everyone adhered to it. This is not a personal matter. The subject has been discussed at length and we think it can only be for the greater good of all using the forum. Thanks all for taking part.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 pm

As has already been noted, there are venues listed on the main website that you can't really keep as 'secret and for forum members'. However, if a spot starts to be consistent in producing healthy, quality fish then we should all stick to PMs. As we should when we know of a little known spot that produces the goods.

I myself don't go for pike to get a monster. All I'm interested in is having a good day out on the bank, preferably with friend(s), having a good chat, seeing the wildlife and enjoying the countryside. If I catch a fish it's a bonus and (hopefully) proves my cunning and skills do actually work.

I don't mind at all catching a jack. It's my hope that when we return him/her that he/she goes on to grow and mature and come back to say hello to you a few years later still as healthy and capable of putting up a fight that is enjoyable. When you look at the fish swimming away safe and sound knowing you cared for that fish and treated it with respect whilst it was on the bank, that is what brings a smile to my face.

To beat my long standing PB of 12lb would be absolutely terrific. If I don't, I don't. So what?

As long as I can still enjoy my day out and catch a healthy fish or two, I'm happy and the only real way we can all assure this 'feel good factor' is to not blab our mouths off to all and sundry.

Everybody I've met on this forum appears to be in the same frame of mind and share the same passion as I do for Esox Lucius. But there are the trophy hunters and numpties out there that want a piece of the action at all costs. We got to remember that everybody and his uncle can view what we post so we need to be careful and think of the powerful yet fragile pike we all know and love.

I for one DEFINITELY support the use of PM in letting others know of waters I find and will always try to remember not to broadcast them in future.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:44 pm

HI GUYS. DONT WANT TO SOUND STUPID, AND NOT BEING FUNNY BUT WHO ARE THE MODS THAT I HAVE SEEN MENTIONED? LIKE I SAY NOT BEING FUNNY, BUT WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW OUT OF INTREST, THE MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Green.PAC Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi Gary

The Mods are the moderators, They decide on what posts are acceptable and what arent. The moderators can delete or restrict posts, I think Andy will be the moderator.

Mark Green.PAC

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:09 am

Andy Webster is the site Administrator (he's the boss) so if you have any ideas or problems, he's the man with the hat and I'm just forum moderator (his trusty sidekick...lol) and that's it at present. It'll be normal service.... :geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  jim Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:52 pm

hi everyone you well remember me as the one who brought up the subject of naming waters.
i have been too busy the last few weeks to read forums,so just catching up.
i think it is not difficult to see what is going on with people who post on forums wanting specific information.its a bit like chinise whispers no doubt within hours of information being known at least 20 other people will know.how do i know this you may ask.?well having first hand experience of being invaded on certain waters that have been named,is not something you forget in a hurry.
and im sorry to say the people concerned are as far away from being an angler as it is possable to get. in over forty years of pike angling i have got to say that i have never seen things go downhill so rapidly.loutish behaviour,litter that makes you so ashamed you end up clearing it up,just a total disregard for the countryside and everything in it,including fellow anglers.the exeption to this of course is the angler new to the sport who is just looking for a bit of help and guidence.which of course anyone is only to willing to help them.

but having said that the lazy angler who wants the information to YOUR venues could well trick you into beliving he is just a novice and get you to pm them.makes you think dont it.!

jim

Back to top Go down

Post  jim Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi there chumley.

On the canal I've had some success anywhere between xxx and xxx.

Main hotspots for me have seemed to be at the xxx alongside canal at xxx, between the boatyard and white house downstream from there, around the motorway bridge (Mxx), xxx boatyard just after said bridge, xxx lock (both above and below it), and the stretch down to the walkover bridge alongside the main road (xxx/Axxx).

I do most of my pike fishing on the river xxx and will be casting a wider net this winter and trying different venues. Have to admit to no takes on a lure/spinner whilst on the xxx tho.

The xxx hold some decent pike so give that a try.

I should imagine the main man to talk to would be madbadangler as he also lives in xxx.

Happy hunting.

just read this in another forum subject so copied and pasted it.i would interested in what you all thought about this re naming waters etc.jim

Last edited by Andy Macfarlane on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It's a set of directions to productive fishing, so it's been edited...Andy)

jim

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi Jim, i like you and the rest of the guys on here agree 100% with your observations, and i think all of us have demonstrated that very clearly, unfortunatly unless a rule is set as it has on this forum, then people will continue to name venues, the only thing we can do is not to name waters publicly and if we are members of other forums make the point to the Mods of that forum. incidently Jim it would have been good if you had deleted the details of the post to Chumley, we would have got the point with a few xxxxxx in place of the names.

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Did you ask MBA what he thinks of the post before you copied and pasted it onto the forum? It doesn't matter who wrote what where. It's not to go on in here. It's pretty clear Jim and everyone in here knows about the No Venue Policy. It's been adhered to, so it obviously doesn't trouble anyone.

.....Regards.....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next