PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

summer pike fishing good or bad

+15
norfolk pikeman
Steve French
essox_lucius1
Bazz
paddy pike
craftycockney
Andy Macfarlane
Alex Makk
robh107
alex wyness
pete777
greg
deadbait
noodle
stubbo
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

summer pike fishing good or bad Empty summer pike fishing good or bad

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:08 pm

anybody read the fishing mags this week on fishing for pike in summer .Having done most of my pike fishing in winter with just the odd summer stint which ended in disaster a pike of about 12lbs went belly up dispite cradleing this fish for half an hour i just stick to winter from know on any bodyelse think we should seriously think about the pikes welfare in summer i think there are proposals to try to ban summer pike fishing Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

summer pike fishing good or bad Empty Re: summer pike fishing good or bad

Post  noodle Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 pm

no problems fishing through the summer

depends on the venue though

where are these proposals to ban summer fishing one would have to assume its another revision to the salmon and freshwater fisheries act and the usual consultation process applies
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 pm

i fish all year round in summer its mostly lures and ive never had a problem with them going back Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 pm

i think the p.a.c are involved in this one
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

stubbo wrote:i think the p.a.c are involved in this one

where??????

not read anything about it and lets face it the commitee usually are very public

not heard anything through region 31 either if you know something let me know and ill get it to jon or mark leathwood
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm

i will try to find it read it yesterday in one of the mags get back to you when i have located it
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:47 pm

folk have fished for pike for years thro summer. puting a ban on pike fishing in summer is beyond a joke.
i'm all for there wellfair, you can be fishing for roach with maggot and cach a pike. how would you deal with that. all this PC crap has gone to far.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:54 pm

greg wrote:folk have fished for pike for years thro summer. puting a ban on pike fishing in summer is beyond a joke.
i'm all for there wellfair, you can be fishing for roach with maggot and cach a pike. how would you deal with that. all this PC crap has gone to far.

it ne of the reasons the close season still exists though, although why only on rivers and sssi's is a joke it should be as it was or not at all

most of this is down to sngling journalists thinking about how to fill column inches.

write in complain and say i wont be buying your pile of tripe again
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20 pm

found the article somebody must have proposed the summer ban to p.a.c they say quote to be fair to all pike the pac does not seek to recommend a summer pike fishing close season which some poeple seem to think that it would like to see one , but is afraid to say so. i think pac are looking at the different types of waters individually and making a decisoin on there findings the depth and water quality should be looked at closely some water have bad algae blooms that depleat oxegen levels in summer . one water in wales where i have fished in the past suffers badly in summer with algae but still gets fished for pike with quite a few deaths Crying or Very sad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:23 pm

noodle wrote:
greg wrote:folk have fished for pike for years thro summer. puting a ban on pike fishing in summer is beyond a joke.

it ne of the reasons the close season still exists though, although why only on rivers and sssi's is a joke it should be as it was or not at all

most of this is down to sngling journalists thinking about how to fill column inches.

write in complain and say i wont be buying your pile of tripe again

as if it would do any good. our weather aint as hot here which help us in a way. but a ban of any kind is a step in the wrong direction.
why, if it's true should the pac step in. waters all over the country have different aspects.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 pm

stubbo wrote:found the article somebody must have proposed the summer ban to p.a.c they say quote to be fair to all pike the pac does not seek to recommend a summer pike fishing close season which some poeple seem to think that it would like to see one , but is afraid to say so. i think pac are looking at the different types of waters individually and making a decisoin on there findings the depth and water quality should be looked at closely some water have bad algae blooms that depleat oxegen levels in summer . one water in wales where i have fished in the past suffers badly in summer with algae but still gets fished for pike with quite a few deaths Crying or Very sad

stubbo, it comes down to common sence. i hope this go's no further. papers or pac.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:39 pm

sometimes its down to bad angling that some pike perish even in winter............ Crying or Very sad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm

stubbo wrote:sometimes its down to bad angling that some pike perish even in winter............ Crying or Very sad

yes, but people like us take every precaution we can. thay cant make us accountable for everything.
i've had some great sessions during the summer months. long may thay last Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 pm

stubbo wrote:found the article somebody must have proposed the summer ban to p.a.c they say quote to be fair to all pike the pac does not seek to recommend a summer pike fishing close season which some poeple seem to think that it would like to see one , but is afraid to say so. i think pac are looking at the different types of waters individually and making a decisoin on there findings the depth and water quality should be looked at closely some water have bad algae blooms that depleat oxegen levels in summer . one water in wales where i have fished in the past suffers badly in summer with algae but still gets fished for pike with quite a few deaths Crying or Very sad

whats it in?
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  pete777 Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 am

it was in this weeks angling times Smile

pete777

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 pm

pete777 wrote:it was in this weeks angling times Smile

say no more

one ofthe reasons i dont buy them anymore same old faces spouting the same old carp
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  alex wyness Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

pike can live in wet mud it doesn't harm them i don't think. as i am not a fish or i could let you know what it is like . they reason i know they can live in wet mud is a know a fishery and it got drained and the owner thought all the pike were removed because the water was all gone . but the thing is the pike were all living in the wet mud . when he filled it back in people were still catching them and this is what he tells me .

alex wyness

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 pm

alex wyness wrote:pike can live in wet mud it doesn't harm them i don't think. as i am not a fish or i could let you know what it is like . they reason i know they can live in wet mud is a know a fishery and it got drained and the owner thought all the pike were removed because the water was all gone . but the thing is the pike were all living in the wet mud . when he filled it back in people were still catching them and this is what he tells me .

ive heard the same thing from a fishery owner round here ive read in a old book they used to transport them in wooden boxes full of wet grass many years ago Shocked
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 pm

someone i know used to catch tench and would occasionally transport them to his own pond carried in a damp keepnet in the back of his car.... i think as long as you keep their gills damp/wet they will survive for an extended period (i'm not making any guesses as to just how long though).
i know we were talking about pike but the principal is the same
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 pm

heh, funny all this,

me grandad was big in fishin in his days,
when me mam was a kipper grandad brought a pike home to eat,
he wrapped it around in a wet towel, and knocked it on its head,
when he came home he placd it on a stool,
with my mum being all intrested whats in the towel she prodded it,
it jumped up and flapped,
When me grandad told me this we could not stop laughting Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
me mam went in the kitchen as she was embarrised. i'm lautghin now...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 pm

a few years ago i had permisson to take some roach from a small pond for deadbaits my mate helped me catch them i was knocking them on the head he was just putting them in a bag when i got home i filled the sink to give them a wash before freezing some of these fish had been out of the water over 3 hours they came alive and i was knocking them on the head in the kitchen with a can of mr muscle oven cleaner in front of our lass mum she was not impessed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 pm

its amazing just how much stuff fish can survive Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:58 am

To answer the original question, I dont see a problem with Summer pike fishing if the water in question can sustain suitable oxygen levels, like large glacial waters and reservoirs etc. Even at that, you can shorten the time you have a pike out of water by travelling well prepared for the worst, in order to get the fish back in the water ASAP.

I think it's the ill prepared angler or the bad angler who isn't prepared for unhooking fish properly or the types that must take 12 pictures from every possible angle, whilst mishandling the fish that are the threat.

It all sounds like yet another blanket ban affecting everyone because of the few....again!

...Andy...
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  craftycockney Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:27 am

cant see a problem with summer pike fishing, so long as you return the pike a.s.a.p. we allow it at cellars, but we are lucky, we have a constant water flow in, and dont suffer from weeds, or algee of any sort. all we ask if summer piking is to return the fish quickly, I have had 2 of my biggest catches in the summer 21lb plus, and a 24lb plus, both caught between may-september, my 24lb was the lake recod for a week Rolling Eyes and someone came and caught a 27lb plus. Exclamation Exclamation that lasted a month and 32lb plus became the record. that was caught in the october,
so summer piking has had some quailty pike banked.

bas.......................... Cool

craftycockney

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Summer piking is as good as winter piking, I find newby Pikers dont understand that a pike can gas up and needs more care when returning, Also when a Pike is out of the water, You should have a wet towel with you, This is for covering the Pikes eyes, They cant blink, And on a very sunny day the eyes can be damaged by the sun light, I tend to take 1 picture in sumer just for my Blog, But again if the pike in my oppinion has been out of the water long enough, Or its to bright, Or it faught very well and feels gased up, I only unhook the Pike and return it strait away, After all the welfare of the Pike is more important than any Pictures, Very Happy Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next