PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crushed barbs?

+2
stevecrm
nightwatchman
6 posters

Go down

crushed barbs? Empty crushed barbs?

Post  nightwatchman Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I've just bought my 1st lure (rubber shad) and noticed all the hooks have barbs.

Do you guys fish them with barbs or do you crush them off.
I've always fished barbelss hooks so this is new to me. Embarassed
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

crushed barbs? Empty Re: crushed barbs?

Post  stevecrm Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:39 pm

I crushed the barbs on the lure I used last saturday, I caught one pike no problem and when he was in the net the hooks just popped out nicely. plus crushed barbs help big time with getting hooks out of the landing net Cool
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:37 pm

everyone does it there way i never crush them if you lure fish in summer when the pike go really mental you will loose a few with no barbs Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:44 pm

good point Very Happy

Plus I suppose it could depend on the size of the barbs too ? I have some lures with massive barbs which I am sure would damage fish while trying to get the hooks out so i will definatly crush the barbs on those.
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:58 pm

i never crush the barbs on lure trebles mate... its way too easy for a lightly hooked fish to throw the hooks.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:01 pm

its catch 22 you can crush them on big trebles but if they slip they can make a right mess its just case of the more you do it the more you learn i used to crush them now i dont bother Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm

I am new to this Piking lark so learning a lot as I go along, I had no problems with the crushed barbs last weekend so I will stick with them for now. But if I do have any problems in the future I will be happy to change things Smile
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm

I crush all my barbs on my lures, i have had no problem landing fish, you should see my grandads mepps, the are doubles. than trebles i'll show u my lure at hand on the fish-in
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 am

i will never fish with debarbed hooks on lures. the thing with big trebles is when they go in they frequently come out the other side with debarbed hooks and as a consequence the hook can rehook elsewhere causing a fair bit of damage

with a barb it will penetrate and stop more often then not it is certainly less likely to hook up multiple times and it wont go in and fall out again, which can with a flying treble happen several times during plying the fish.

that is basedon bigger trebles on big lures for more run of the mill stuff say up to a size four then microbarbed hooks are the way forward

one thing dont debarb buy and use decent cutters the fox, greys,ET ones all work well enough for a tenner but the king of the hill is the knippex

i use the foxand to date cant fualt em a great deal tey just rust easily but its only cosmetic, i will add im considering buying some bolt cutter knippex as a just in case measure should the fox side cutters let me down at some point
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down