PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not sure about this, What do you think

+9
Lefty
Andy Webster
stevecrm
stubbo
BradfordLad
Son Of Fire
tootall
Grizzly
paddy pike
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Not sure about this, What do you think Empty Not sure about this, What do you think

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Talking to a piker friend today and he was telling me about the up to date way of making dead baits Pop up, You have to get your dead bait, And then use a mastic gun to fill the fish with mastic Through the mouth ?, Then you can freeze them down ready for taking Pikeing, I would'nt use this myself, I can't even stand the stink from it, And i know i would not eat mastic, But what if the bait came off, Then the Pike eats it, Would it do it any harm ?
What do you think ?
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Not sure about this, What do you think Empty Re: Not sure about this, What do you think

Post  Grizzly Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm not a hundred percent sure about this Question Question

I don't think it's something I would do, although I have thought of using expanding foam in the deadbait before to pop it up but it didn't take much thinking about to decide it was probably a stupid idea and could possibly kill the fish What a Face
Grizzly
Grizzly

http://www.mdpestservices.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Not sure about this, What do you think Empty Re: Not sure about this, What do you think

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:57 pm

Grizzly wrote:I'm not a hundred percent sure about this Question Question

I don't think it's something I would do, although I have thought of using expanding foam in the deadbait before to pop it up but it didn't take much thinking about to decide it was probably a stupid idea and could possibly kill the fish What a Face
Had thought about expanding foam myself, Then like you dropped the idea for the same reason,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm

not good IMO. Mastik or any kind of expanding foam will not be digestable for a pike. If a pike does manage to swallow such a bait i could almost guarentee it would have a long slow starvation due to it being stuck in its intestines.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm

tootall wrote:not good IMO. Mastik or any kind of expanding foam will not be digestable for a pike. If a pike does manage to swallow such a bait i could almost guarentee it would have a long slow starvation due to it being stuck in its intestines.
I did mention this to my friend, And he seems to think that the Pike would throw up the piece of mastic, Rather than it being able to go through its system, But as you know pike are not very good at regurgitating anything
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Son Of Fire Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Evil or Very Mad NO NO NO Evil or Very Mad
Son Of Fire
Son Of Fire

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:49 pm

tootall wrote:not good IMO. Mastik or any kind of expanding foam will not be digestable for a pike. If a pike does manage to swallow such a bait i could almost guarentee it would have a long slow starvation due to it being stuck in its intestines.

Tootall you answered that much better than me, i was screaming at the monitor......Not sure about this, What do you think Free-ashamed-smileys-721
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:00 pm

i chose my words carefully...lol
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 pm

Well i have been looking all over the web, And it seems this Silicon is probably more poisoness to pike than to humans,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 pm

paddy pike wrote:Well i have been looking all over the web, And it seems this Silicon is probably more poisoness to pike than to humans,

well that puts an end to that one then lol. Wink
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Your right tootall, But you never know what they will come up with next do you
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 pm

really bad idea who ever does that wants banning for life Evil or Very Mad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:23 pm

What is the best way to pop up bait? I have not tried popping bait up before but would be interested in trying it Cool
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm

stevecrm wrote:What is the best way to pop up bait? I have not tried popping bait up before but would be interested in trying it Cool
Years ago i used the old balsa wood, It was very effective then other things came on the market, But balsa wood dowel cut into the length of the dead bait and a curtain eye secured in the end, You just push the dowel into the deadbait through the mouth, Set the trebles as you would normaly, But with a seperate wire conected to the eye in the balsa, This was done so if the pike swollowed the bait after being hooked you could retreave the balsa wood without a problem,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:42 pm

I prefer the air injection method for pop ups. They may not stand to attention all day but I am usually after enough to settle on top of weed and for the pike to suck them in easily.

Andy albino

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 pm

ahh thats brilliant, I had heard of the balsa before but not with the curtain hook in it. this is the exact reason I didnt try it, I was worried about the pike swallowing the balsa wood. I reckon I will try this on friday night while I am out on my next night session Very Happy
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 pm

I bought some Fox pop up balls (them bright red foam things) but have shied away from using them as I'm unsure as to whether the foam would do any harm. Question Question
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 pm

lefty wrote:
stevecrm wrote:ahh thats brilliant, I had heard of the balsa before but not with the curtain hook in it. this is the exact reason I didnt try it, I was worried about the pike swallowing the balsa wood. I reckon I will try this on friday night while I am out on my next night session Very Happy
.I bought some Fox pop up balls (them bright red foam things) but have shied away from using them as I'm unsure as to whether the foam would do any harm.
The Balsa is a very good way to make a pop up,
And the Polly balls also work well, And normaly you get them back or you see them floating on the surface, I cant say i have ever heard of any being swollowed, But this might happen you never know,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:55 am

this thread got me thinking whether marshmallows would work/be safe..any thoughts?
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:20 pm

balsa wood for me, and also i inject with air, which makes the fish sink slowly to the bottom rather than getting dragged into the weed (if any)

always tests in the margin before hand though
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:59 pm

what about pop up boilies as used in carp fishing? fish flavoured ones could be like doggie treats for the pike Laughing
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:39 pm

stevecrm wrote:what about pop up boilies as used in carp fishing? fish flavoured ones could be like doggie treats for the pike Laughing

as a carp angler and at £4.99 + a pot i dont think so, you cant really keep them and re-use like you can balsa wood + id just soak fish oils into the wood if i need it as an extra attractor.

but with the oil the wood soaks up, it would just make the wood less bouyant

IMO anyway
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 pm

tootall wrote:this thread got me thinking whether marshmallows would work/be safe..any thoughts?

of course there safe, there perfectly edable.

still dont think you can beat balsa wood or proper pike popup materials
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm

I've used both balsa and polly balls.

Polly balls have the advantage of being bright and well spotted by searching Pike. The problem I had with the balsa sticks was at the end of the day I used to put them straight back in my tackle box and when I opened it up a week later they would be damp and manky covered in mould! Remember all the fishes intestines and juices soak into the balsa! lol !
lol!
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:39 pm

er wine corks both plastic and proper cork if your all worried about a bit of foam not being digestible then 5 inches of balsa wood is how good for a pike internally

spherical external is better for two reasons

a sphere offers the highest bouyancy for a given volume

and if its external it does give the pike a better chance to rid itself of it

noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum