PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ledger Rig

+11
paddy pike
mollski
JAYZEE28
kell
stubbo
Andy Webster
BigSithepikeangler
tackle tart
noodle
newie2010
Pikey_Mike
15 posters

Go down

Ledger Rig Empty Ledger Rig

Post  Pikey_Mike Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 am

Thought I would share this little diagram made up on MS paint to try and help any new pikers. I knocked it up myself. I use it myself and it works for me but I am open to any criticism!

Ledger Rig 2vnguns

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Ledger Rig Empty Re: Ledger Rig

Post  newie2010 Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 am

thats 1 easy way, but i wouldnt use that rig, i go this one, making sure the lead link is the weak link and longer than the trace

Ledger Rig Pike
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:49 pm

The lead link is weaker on mine too, 6lb mono mate.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Pikey_Mike wrote:The lead link is weaker on mine too, 6lb mono mate.

i rarley fish straight lead for pike, im normally on the ledger float, BUT if i fished deep waters and large ressies, then i would use the rig shown above.
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Pikey_Mike wrote:Thought I would share this little diagram made up on MS paint to try and help any new pikers. I knocked it up myself. I use it myself and it works for me but I am open to any criticism!

Ledger Rig 2vnguns

go on id love to hear the reasoning behind a fixed lead for plain old ledgering especially with such light wire and heavy mono

newies is about as good and simple as it gets Wink
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 pm

wouldn,t use the fixed one but would use the other but would put an uptrace just for extra safety just in case the trace was to lay over the main line, but thats just me

Last edited by tackle tart on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  BigSithepikeangler Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:57 pm

i'm with Newie on this one,
i've used this set up, all the time if ledgering.
Never used a fixed lead, but thats just me Very Happy
BigSithepikeangler
BigSithepikeangler

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Pikey_Mike wrote:Thought I would share this little diagram made up on MS paint to try and help any new pikers. I knocked it up myself. I use it myself and it works for me but I am open to any criticism!

Ledger Rig 2vnguns

I would never rig up a fixed lead. If the 18lb main line is broken the lead must be able to separate from the bait. I use the john roberts run rings to attach the lead.

Please don't use fix leads on your pike rigs. You will end up tethering a fish if the main line snaps.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Andy Webster wrote:

Ledger Rig 2vnguns

I would never rig up a fixed lead. If the 18lb main line is broken the lead must be able to separate from the bait. I use the john roberts run rings to attach the lead.

Please don't use fix leads on your pike rigs. You will end up tethering a fish if the main line snaps.

Andy
plus i think that rig would be prone to tangling fished at distance tried most if not all rigs over the years newies rig is about the best tangle free rig the bait and the bomb seperate on flight
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 am

There isn't really a reason to it bein fixed, but the tail rubber and sili tube is to try and form an improvised boom section to keep the lead away from the trace.
Gues I could incorporate the tail rubber and sili tube into a non fixed system, but the lead is attached with much lighter line than my main line, to try and prevent tethering.

EDIT: Also, Noodle, what's wrong with 20lb wire? I've never had it go on me...

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 am

Pikey_Mike wrote:There isn't really a reason to it bein fixed, but the tail rubber and sili tube is to try and form an improvised boom section to keep the lead away from the trace.
Gues I could incorporate the tail rubber and sili tube into a non fixed system, but the lead is attached with much lighter line than my main line, to try and prevent tethering.

EDIT: Also, Noodle, what's wrong with 20lb wire? I've never had it go on me...

Cannot speak for noodle but i do not think he has a problem with the size of wire just the fact it is so close to breaking strain of line.?

sorry but i am with the others and i think what you have is a killer rig would NOT be allowed on carp waters of any repute and should never be used for pike.
I use newies rig and never seem to get tangled .
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  JAYZEE28 Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 am

Apart from the fact that the rig is not fish friendly I would have thought you may get quite a few dropped runs because the pike would feel the resistance from the lead. Most rigs aim to keep resistance to a minimum to avoid this problem.

Regards
J
JAYZEE28
JAYZEE28

Back to top Go down

Post  mollski Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:51 pm

newie2010 wrote:

i rarley fish straight lead for pike, im normally on the ledger float, BUT if i fished deep waters and large ressies, then i would use the rig shown above.

hey newie can you pop us up a nice diagram of your ledger float rig please,i used this on sunday for the first time and got into a bit of a mess with gauging the depth of my float ,then when casting out always seemed to tangle? hope you can help a new guy out all the best cheers
mollski
mollski

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:57 pm

newie2010 wrote:thats 1 easy way, but i wouldnt use that rig, i go this one, making sure the lead link is the weak link and longer than the trace

Ledger Rig Pike
This has got to be one of the most Pike safe rigs ever, As losing a weight is a lot better than losing the Pike
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm

paddy pike wrote:
newie2010 wrote:thats 1 easy way, but i wouldnt use that rig, i go this one, making sure the lead link is the weak link and longer than the trace

Ledger Rig Pike
This has got to be one of the most Pike safe rigs ever, As losing a weight is a lot better than losing the Pike

totally agree with comments and rig, simple but effective Smile
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:07 pm

mollski wrote:
newie2010 wrote:

hey newie can you pop us up a nice diagram of your ledger float rig please,i used this on sunday for the first time and got into a bit of a mess with gauging the depth of my float ,then when casting out always seemed to tangle? hope you can help a new guy out all the best cheers

hey up fella, are you talking ledger float setup???

if you are, then its seriously easy mate, fish it OVER DEPTH by a foot.

if you dont know the depth your fishing in, then set up the ledger float as you would. Mine is this, in this order going on 1st.

bead / float / bead / weight / bead / swivel / kiwk link / snap tackle

once thats on, i then tie my stop knott over depth, on an unknown water i start 4ft over depth
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm

esoxjeff wrote:
paddy pike wrote:

Ledger Rig Pike

totally agree with comments and rig, simple but effective Smile
thats the thing keep it simple mate cheers
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:57 am

John Roberts leger-Ring (run-ring...whatever you call it)...paperclip...lead.

That's as simple as legering gets.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:John Roberts leger-Ring (run-ring...whatever you call it)...paperclip...lead.

That's as simple as legering gets.
And that's exactly what I do, as reccomended by your good self Sir Andy of Glasgow Wink
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Ledger Rig Empty Asafe rig for dead bait

Post  THETRUEPIKER Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 pm

That set up is to complecated.The best set up is to use a running rig with a weight around 3 to 4 ounce so the pike cannot move the weight,if it does move the pike will drop the bait every time.The leader should be about 3 -5 inch longer than the trace.Put a few nots on the line so it will snap if caught up.I use line around 10lb on my 40lb braid main lines.
As you cast out you will see the weight and the bait seperate in the air.
The main thing is not to use a weight that is to light.The heavier the better.Coupled with a good drop back indicator this rig will never let you down.. Very Happy
THETRUEPIKER
THETRUEPIKER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down