PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P.A.C members?

+13
stubbo
Eric Edwards
silvers
barbels1
travman
craigpix2000
tomthepiker
doug6364
hurricane
matt859
noodle
johnnym
plumb68
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

P.A.C  members? - Page 2 Empty Re: P.A.C members?

Post  tomthepiker Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:22 pm

ye i guess it can get quite competative everyone has there own methods, there will always be arguments but it probably best if the area you are in has a good leader or what ever title they have, 'each to there own' as my mum taught me lol!
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  craigpix2000 Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:37 am

I'd been a P.A.C member for a couple of years before i really needed there help but when a local trout water was killing every pike caught i asked for help at this point the wakefield R.O was stepping down but another R.O stepped in and helped me out

We managed to talk the owner round and even had a pike trials on there so bare in mind the owner had the lake for 7years and in that period they had culled about 600/700 pike including alot of 20's but all that has now stopped he was educated on what pike do to help the balance of a good water so good from our point but more importantly his point was the winter revenue that could be earned from it that 1 day more or less paid his monthly rent $$$$$$

Having seen that first hand is what made me takeover the wakefield R.O role........
And i love it we have regular meetings the first one was a quiet one about 9 people and its slowly increased my last meeting there was about 20 of us and its a really good laugh with a good bunch of lads u can make some good freindships at these meetings

What i would say is find a club nearest to you find out when they've got a meeting and pop along have a word with the R.O and im sure u will get a warm welcome uve got nothing to loose on the meeting front u either enjoy it or you dont but at least u know
every meeting ive been to wakefield and other regions ive loved it u can learn alot from them http://www.pacgb.co.uk/page26.html
As mentioned the mag alone is worth the subscription the way i see it if u love fishing for pike its worth joining where u get contact with a massive network of pikers who all love piking as much as the rest of us the more names on the list the bigger the P.A.C's voice is in stopping the things we hate to see and hear.............
craigpix2000
craigpix2000

Back to top Go down

Post  travman Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Don't forget access to some waters which are only for PAC members... Entrance onto events for PAC members ... The annual convention we run with trade stands etc.. PAC forum... teach in days ...

The regional meetings can very between the regions with the one matty quoting appeared to be run badly. Most usually have a guest speaker,slide shows, raffles,some even supply food. a great way to meet new pikers and arrange a days fishing.

Dont' judge them all by just one meeting.

Most welcome non-members ..so why not try popping along to one first.Even if they are not your cup of tea joining the PAC is very worthwhile for the extra's.

oh and by the way I'm a selby member and assist in running the Airevalley region. Very Happy

travman

Back to top Go down

Post  barbels1 Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm thinking of joining although the closest to me would be Reading or Oxford, Is anyone on here a member of either?
barbels1
barbels1

Back to top Go down

Post  silvers Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 pm

I was a member years ago for quite a few years, went to one local meeting all they were interested in was lure fishing and talking about lure fishing not of any interest to me so I never went to another one.
silvers
silvers

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:54 am

silvers wrote:I was a member years ago for quite a few years, went to one local meeting all they were interested in was lure fishing and talking about lure fishing not of any interest to me so I never went to another one.

but but but

lures are the future Razz

i like, no actually i love my lure fishing but i also enjoy bait fishing in a different way. at one time i felt the exact same way you seem(ed) to have felt about lures i genuinly thought they were a marketing thing with a big dollop of bad joke on the side

this is after catching my 1st pike and quite a few as a kid on little alphabet things from intrepid.

however one day arrived in the form of a ban on the use of live and dead coarse fish so i bought one lure rod a few twin tailed grubs and shads from the sea section (already had a multi as id done some beach fishing so the penn 940 got used) and started to use them. i still to this day remember telling two mates that i wouldnt be so daft as to end up with loads of lure set ups and hundreds of lures as to me the lures were a means of offering movement to pike in areas where lives where now banned

Rolling Eyes

ive now got about 10 set ups for lures which range from 1gm up to somewhere above 200gms and throw lures at any fish i can be that pike perch chub bass gudgeon ruffe grayling ariston.
ive recently taken on the las chapter organiser for the north west region.
lures are great fun and whats more they catch fish
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 am

Got to agree with all that, nearly all of the big fish I've had this season came on lures and the thrill of getting that take matches anything else in angling.
TBH it's a bit daft to turn your back on such a successful and entertaining method.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  silvers Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm

It's not that I have turned my back on it as I did do it occasionally (very occasionally), and I do not detract from anyone who loves it but I am a lazy angler, leapfrogging up a river or drain with baits I can do but wandering around all day with lures no thanks. Mad
silvers
silvers

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:51 pm

What would you do if you were sat behind two baits all day catching very little but watched someone come along lure fishing and catching pike after pike? Would that stir you a bit?

A few weeks ago I had a very big catch on lures. A guy nearby fishing baits only had one pike but he wrote to me afterwards saying he "couldn't believe" the number of pike I was catching. He asked what lures I was using but when i asked him how he'd got on the following week it seems the area I was fishing was busy so he didn't fish there. I guess he went elsewhere and fished his baits again but if he'd gone elsewhere and fished lures...
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:What would you do if you were sat behind two baits all day catching very little but watched someone come along lure fishing and catching pike after pike? Would that stir you a bit?

A few weeks ago I had a very big catch on lures. A guy nearby fishing baits only had one pike but he wrote to me afterwards saying he "couldn't believe" the number of pike I was catching. He asked what lures I was using but when i asked him how he'd got on the following week it seems the area I was fishing was busy so he didn't fish there. I guess he went elsewhere and fished his baits again but if he'd gone elsewhere and fished lures...
but it can work the other as well me and my brother was fishing a res not so long ago there were about a dozen boats out all chucking lure all over the place without a take but me and are kid had 8 fish to a selection of deadbaits i think some days thet wont chase a bait no matter what you do
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:33 pm

noodle wrote:
tomthepiker wrote:thats quality sounds really good why dont people like it? it dont sound that bad to me.........and no arguing lol!

ah well no arguing thats asking a bit much seeing as pikers are a bigger bunch of bitches than those that feature in a jackie colllins novel
talk about bitching just read pike and predetors unbelievable slaging each other these are pac members
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:07 pm

stubbo wrote:
noodle wrote:
tomthepiker wrote:thats quality sounds really good why dont people like it? it dont sound that bad to me.........and no arguing lol!

ah well no arguing thats asking a bit much seeing as pikers are a bigger bunch of bitches than those that feature in a jackie colllins novel
talk about bitching just read pike and predetors unbelievable slaging each other these are pac members

er not all and pike and predators has been closed for a while now

the pit is the place to be or not as it happens

im in the pac and love a reasonable debate Laughing
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  silvers Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:28 am

stubbo wrote:
Eric Edwards wrote:What would you do if you were sat behind two baits all day catching very little but watched someone come along lure fishing and catching pike after pike? Would that stir you a bit?

but it can work the other as well me and my brother was fishing a res not so long ago there were about a dozen boats out all chucking lure all over the place without a take but me and are kid had 8 fish to a selection of deadbaits i think some days thet wont chase a bait no matter what you do
Have to agree here too. The other week I was fishing Sussex rezzy and had one but a bloke lure fishing had none but as we all know fishing is always a matter of ifs and buts.
silvers
silvers

Back to top Go down

Post  hurricane Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:14 am

Back on subject,Not all regions are run with the same amount of commitment and effort,I am lucky enough to have 2 regions in my area and they work together for the benefit of the members,take a look at this link for an idea of what well run regions can acheive.
http://pacshakespeare.blogspot.com/
As well as regular bankside activity a number of talks/presentations are arranged throughout the year with some of the countrys top pikers.
Add to this your regular copy of pikelines and the fact that you are actively supporting the fight for the protection of pike and pike fishing,
Its a no brainer really.
hurricane
hurricane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:16 pm

hurricane wrote:Back on subject,Not all regions are run with the same amount of commitment and effort,I am lucky enough to have 2 regions in my area and they work together for the benefit of the members,take a look at this link for an idea of what well run regions can acheive.
http://pacshakespeare.blogspot.com/
As well as regular bankside activity a number of talks/presentations are arranged throughout the year with some of the countrys top pikers.
Add to this your regular copy of pikelines and the fact that you are actively supporting the fight for the protection of pike and pike fishing,
Its a no brainer really.
but like matt said when he went to his alot of bickering to me thats a no brainer not to go again........sounds like some regions are a lot better than others
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 am

matt859 wrote:im not a PAC member anymore, I was once for a few months and quit after attending a local meeting. The less I say about the PAC the better I think.

You dont have to be a PAC member in order to catch pike.

I would take issue with the last sentence, in a way. If there were no PAC members at all in this country, then YOUR ability to catch pike would be severely hampered. Over the last 35 years the PAC has done a huge amount to transform the opinion of pike in the minds of the nations anglers and is continuing to do so. Images of pike being slung up the bank are getting rarer and rarer, but 35 years ago they were common. Club rules stating "kill all pike" are now almost non-existant but they used to be common. The work PAC is doing could be duplicated by anglers up and down the country but then they would need to be coordinated by someone, well that's what the PAC does.

Here are some examples of the PAC's work going on right now;

Sean Ellis is running a teach-in for 80 youngsters on saturday and sunday down in Essex this week, it's all for free and he's got some of the top pikers in the country attending.
I'm running a teach-in for 30 youngsters on Sunday at Gailey reservoir, again all for free and all the tutoring is being done by experienced PAC members.
Meanwhile up in Scotland, some cowboy has been identified who's going round certain lochs gill netting pike (fish to over 30lbs) and selling them, he even had a facebook page advertising the fact!. PAC has made him shut his facebook down and have alerted police to his activities, they are now paying him a visit.

You're right, you don't have to be a PAC member but you can be thankful that the rest of us are!
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:19 am

Thank you for that Eric. You took only small parts of my entire post and immediately went on the defensive, which just about summed up exactly why I am not a member of the PAC. If you want to be a PAC member then thats fine but please dont preach to me that they are the be all and end all and that I should be thankful.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 am

They aren't the be all and end all, the organisation has its flaws, as do the regions but without the PAC we would be much worse off as pike fishermen.
I could equally argue that you only highlighted "small parts" of what the club's about and based your decision not to join on that. It's your choice what you do but I WILL be defensive about the club because I'm deeply immersed in it and I know what good things the club does. As an outsider you won't be aware of these things but make no mistake, member or not you DO benefit from them.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 am

WOW arnt you fantastic, I must rush away now and join right this minute.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 am

Well they do say sarcasm is the poorest form of wit.
I don't know what you expect from me, or from the PAC for that matter. To base your opinion on a single bad experience, which is what it seems, is to take a very narrow view. What I'm trying to do is to illustrate to you, and the assembled multitudes that the PAC has a lot going for it and that instead of cutting yourself off from it you can contribute and you can make a difference - a big difference.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 am

Moreover, in contrast to your bad experience, if you'd been at the region 31 meeting on Wednesday you'd have been in the company of thirty or forty like-minded individuals who were treated to an excellent presentation on pike fishing on the River Severn by Dilip Sarkar MBE. We all had plenty to drink, plenty to eat, there was a raffle with some cracking prizes, loads of chat and not one person got left out.

Some regions might not get it right but an awful lot do.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Eric you took issue and stirred up a thread that had gone quiet if you didnt want a reaction then you should have not taken issue. I tend not to sit on fences and if you cant take sarcasm then dont provoke.

If any other members of the PAC want to take issue then expect the same.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:08 pm

I think you're being a bit childish Matt, I have a view too and it's as valid as yours. I won't be getting into a tantrum though, largely because I have some substance to back up my views and I don't base them on one isolated incident.

I don't particularly want an argument but I think you do. I'm for the Pike Angler's Club, what are you for?
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

You say you dont want an argument and yet you continue to provoke me and continue the thread. Your attitude Eric is exactly why im not a member of the PAC.

I will not continue to post on this thread on this subject.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Funny, I felt it was me that was being provoked.
Now you're blaming the PAC for my attitude, I think you're thinking too far outside the box.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next