PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

deep hooked pike

+3
Tigi113
rozzo
psion
7 posters

Go down

deep hooked pike Empty deep hooked pike

Post  psion Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:40 pm

The other day I caught a jack pike that had another trace in it, with one hook right down its throat. I have had this a lot over the years. Is it better to get the hook out or to cut the trace as far down as you can? On this occasion, with the hooks being only size 8 (one of the cheap shop brought ones), I removed it ok. I think (hope) it went back ok.

psion

Back to top Go down

deep hooked pike Empty Re: deep hooked pike

Post  rozzo Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:43 pm

it's suprising (and quite gruesome) but with steady hard pressure you can expose almost any hook by pulling the pikes stomach out of its mouth,, un hooking it then gently poking the stomach back down. i will always try everything to do this as with a treble knitting its gullet together it will die.
if ever there was an arguement for single hooks this is it as no matter how a single hook fouls it wont block the flow of food.
i've just taken delivery of some doubles and will eventually stop using treble hooks if i can Cool 
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm

That is what i have allways done but i was thinking at the time was there a better way.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  Tigi113 Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:32 pm

John Roberts Pike Disgorger
Tigi113
Tigi113

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Just had a look at that on the internet I think i will get one and try it.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 pm

there good but could do with being a bit longer there only the lenghth of a very good pikes head ............ we are talking big pike here
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  kevo Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:52 pm

I had a pike one morning with my trace in the scissors and two down its gut. Like rozzo mentioned, I slowly eased its stomach out and removed the hooks and she swam off in a much better state minus two size 4 and two size 6 trebles. Just goes to prove though that they still feed no matter what's in their gut. Of course early striking almost eliminates deep hooking......

kevo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 am

kevo wrote:I had a pike one morning with my trace in the scissors and two down its gut. Like rozzo mentioned, I slowly eased its stomach out and removed the hooks and she swam off in a much better state minus two size 4 and two size 6 trebles. Just goes to prove though that they still feed no matter what's in their gut. Of course early striking almost eliminates deep hooking......
and having the right line , theres still a lot of guys out there fishing light line 12lb and under , if they snag up and lose the trace and the baits attached its just a matter of time before a pike comes along and snaffles it with dire concequence
not having ago at the carp lads but a lake I fish the carp lads put one rod out for pike and there lines are not up for it you can tell just by looking at it its 12lb or even under.
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  kevo Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:18 pm

stubbo wrote:
kevo wrote:I had a pike one morning with my trace in the scissors and two down its gut. Like rozzo mentioned, I slowly eased its stomach out and removed the hooks and she swam off in a much better state minus two size 4 and two size 6 trebles. Just goes to prove though that they still feed no matter what's in their gut. Of course early striking almost eliminates deep hooking......
and  having the right line , theres still a lot of guys out there fishing light line 12lb and under ,  if they snag up and lose the trace and the baits attached its just a matter of time before a pike comes along and snaffles it with dire concequence
not having ago at the carp lads but a lake I fish the carp lads put one rod out for pike and there lines are not up for it  you can tell just by looking at it its 12lb or even under.
+1 stubbo .....

kevo

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:48 pm

i dont like braid for bait fishing,, purely personal and two of the best pikers i know use it but i don't trust the knots and if it brushes a rock when tight it's goodnight vienna.   i trust my berkely big game mono and the breaking strains are under stated for certain Cool
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  kevo Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:36 pm

I love braid and use 50lb power pro for the majority of my fishing, but I wouldn't use it on rocky venues, not very abrasive resistant at all. I use pro clear in 20lb bs, excellent stuff and very abrasive resistant.....

kevo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:59 am

Question 

why does braid have a bad rap for abrasion resistance
age old mantra buy by diameter and its just as good as mono

ok one or two places i go back to mono but thats because i know im probably going to loose gear at some point and mono degrades far quicker than braid
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Preeny Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 pm

I've used power pro for years but this year i've been using some of the new Gardner 0.40mm Pro XM Dark Blend for legering deadbaits and i have to say it's spot on. Sinks like a stone and high abrasion resistence.

Preeny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down