PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

deep hooked pike

+5
adie1200
dave van dessel
Eric Edwards
silkmen
stephen7
9 posters

Go down

deep hooked pike  Empty deep hooked pike

Post  stephen7 Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:28 pm

I deep hooked a pike today Will it survive
stephen7
stephen7

Back to top Go down

deep hooked pike  Empty Re: deep hooked pike

Post  silkmen Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:22 pm

stephen7 wrote:I deep hooked a pike today Will it survive
Did u leave,the hooks in it
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen7 Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:30 pm

No managed to get th hooks out but it sat in the margins for about an hour swam away now
stephen7
stephen7

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. You can get the hooks out even if they're very deep and the fish may swim away but it doesn't necessarily mean it will survive the experience. Best option is always to try to avoid deep hooking if you can.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  dave van dessel Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Studies here have shown even if you can't  remove the hook
If u cut it of deep it has a 85 % chance of surviving
Scar tissue forms around the hook encasing it
Or it breaks down over time
but if u managed to remove it chances are it will survive
I have once caught a pike while carping that was trailing tackle and got entangled in my line
Needles to say it had swallowed
Cut the cable deep as I could 2 years later I saw the same fish come out alive and well
(Distinctive cormorant scars and a missing piece of tail fin makes me certain it was same one)
If I get a swallower I cut the cable and let it go asap
It's better for the fish than trying to jerk the hook out
And keeping it out for ages I don't even take a picture in these cases
To reduce stress and improve its chances
dave van dessel
dave van dessel

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen7 Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:31 pm

dave van dessel wrote:Studies here have shown even if you can't  remove the hook
If u cut it of deep it has a 85 % chance of surviving
Scar tissue forms around the hook encasing it
Or it breaks down over time
but if u managed to remove it chances are it will survive
I have once caught a pike while carping that was trailing tackle and got entangled in my line
Needles to say it had swallowed
Cut the cable deep as I could 2 years later I saw the same fish come out alive and well
(Distinctive cormorant scars and a missing piece of tail fin makes me certain it was same one)
If I get a swallower I cut the cable and let it go asap
It's better for the fish than trying to jerk the hook out
And keeping it out for ages I don't even take a picture in these cases
To reduce stress and improve its chances

Thanks for the post. felt realy bad after this hapend it's the first time iv experienced this and hopefully never again
stephen7
stephen7

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:28 pm

Not good leaving hooks in if you can't see them you don't know if they are holding the pikes throat / stomach closed so they can't swallow which will mean certain death Shocked
If you are very careful you can very slowly pull on the trace and you can 9 times out of 10 pull the stomach out so you can get to the hooks it can be tricky and really its best if you can learn this technique from someone who knows what they are doing but if its a life or death situation for the pike its well worth giving it a go Wink
You may have to stop now and then if its taking a long time and rest the pike in your landing net in the margins and once you have got the hooks out make sure you keep the pike safe in the margin as long as possible until you are as certain as you can be that its ready to go and fingers crossed you've done a good job and the pike will live to fight another day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Have a look at these two below to see how its done Wink

Unhooking a deep hooked pike

deep hooked pike
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Adie is correct in his description but don't think for a moment that this is an easy process or that it always results in a healthy return. A pike's spleen is situated at the downstream end of it's stomach and pulling the stomach up can dislodge the spleen causing the pike to die later from internal bleeding. The fish might live but equally the fish might die. I say again, the best option is always to avoid deep hooking and the very best way to do that is to strike early. If you strike early you will lose more fish, that's a fact, but it's better to lose it today and catch it next year than deep hook it today and nobody ever catches it again.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:18 pm

Couldn't agree more Eric Wink as you say its better to miss some than risk a deep hooked pike Crying or Very sad
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dave van dessel Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Funny how views and common practice differ where you go
The way we see it if the pike swallow something afterwards it loosens the hook because
It is going against the hooks point direction
Also helps to use barbles hooks (crushed down)
One thing I completely agree with tho
Strike early and avoid period
dave van dessel
dave van dessel

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:08 am

Perfect answers, Strike early (this means nothing really but under 5 seconds on 5" baits for me) have the best bite detection you can have and definitely barbless/semi barbed hooks. Fish welfare should come first. Well done for asking Stephen, dont worry its happened to most of us at sometime.
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen7 Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:36 pm

thanks guys after the replys im prity shure this pike will survive. i done every thing right acording to the replys and videos and when it swam off it looked fine and well. im defo going to be striking early now better to lose one than harm it

thanks again guys.

stephen
stephen7
stephen7

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:07 pm

stephen7 wrote:thanks guys after the replys im prity shure this pike will survive. i done every thing right acording to the replys and videos and when it swam off it looked fine and well. im defo going to be striking early now better to lose one than harm it

thanks again guys.

stephen
steve can I ask the question did you strike early or leave it a while Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen7 Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:16 pm

what hapend was i seen the float move across the watter just a little bit it dident go under at all or twich up and down so i waited a couple of secods ceeping a close eye then after about 20 seconds it just shot under so i struck to start with i thoght it was an under curent or wind
stephen7
stephen7

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:36 pm

If your float was moving that's when you should have pulled into it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:41 pm

stephen7 wrote:thanks guys after the replys im prity shure this pike will survive. i done every thing right acording to the replys and videos and when it swam off it looked fine and well. im defo going to be striking early now better to lose one than harm it

thanks again guys.

stephen
well done stephen,, we have all done it,, sounds ike you dealt with it well and more importantly learned from it ;-)
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:49 pm

adie1200 wrote:If your float was moving that's when you should have pulled into it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adies right steve even if the float moves regardless how far or something does not seem right its worth a strike pal

don't think for one moment your the only one pal
we have all been there  
years ago when I was fishing a canal leap frogging down it  100 yrd at a time  a pike just took it when I was lowering it into the water next to the

wall, it sucked it right down   took me a while to free the hooks pal but managed it

have a look at the Roberts deep hook remover  can be useful , but it can be a 2 man operation

just strike as early as possible.... but it can still happen when you do Rolling Eyes stick with barbless pal ,, its so much easier to unhook and done in half the time Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen7 Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:04 pm

think i will go with barbless and tell be about it it sure is a two man job and i was on my owne panicing. barbless it is for me and early strikes i dont care if i lose fish at the end of the day all i want is to have a look at thease amazing preditors and keep them thriving in my local pond
stephen7
stephen7

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:06 pm

stephen7 wrote:think i will go with barbless and tell be about it it sure is a two man job and i was on my owne panicing. barbless it is for me and early strikes i dont care if i lose fish at the end of the day all i want is to have a look at thease amazing preditors and keep them thriving in my local pond
well in pal thats the way forward.....like rozzo said learn from it........ like we all have

Last edited by stubbo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen7 Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:09 pm

cheers m8 i duno where i would be withou the help of this forum lerend so much in a short time. this experience has shooke me a bit but im not giving up
stephen7
stephen7

Back to top Go down

Post  Idlepiker Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:55 am

Well done Stephen, sounds like you did everything you could and you did it right.
Don't let this put you off, like the lads have said we have all been there at some time,
and your right Barbless hooks and strike as early as you can, you may well lose a few fish but the ones you catch will be a lot easier to unhook.
Idlepiker
Idlepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down