PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drop shotting for perch

2 posters

Go down

drop shotting for perch  Empty drop shotting for perch

Post  stubbo Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:00 pm

any of you guys on here do any drop shotting on deep lakes say up to 60ft
have tried it on occasions but not really found it any better than using a small lure/ spinner/worm... attached to the end
not sure what the best tactic to use static or drifting on a boat , but obviously I would have to locate the fish ,which can be hard on a large venue
all I seem to catch are pike which is not the target fish and its hard work playing a big pike on a drop shot rod...... Sad
any advice would be welcome
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

drop shotting for perch  Empty Re: drop shotting for perch

Post  mal wynne Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Steve I,ve done a bit with perch in deep water on resevoirs and I,ve found that I get more fish when bank fishing if rather than drop-shotting I use a floating lure on a mushroom shaped jig-head, something like a "crazy fish polaris " and keep it bouncing on the bottom but really slow, and also if the bottom is snaggy with rocks use the lightest jighead you can get away with , coz this won,t fall too far between the rocks , small shads like a 1 inch kopyto work well too Smile

mal wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 pm

mal wynne wrote:Steve I,ve done a bit with perch in deep water on resevoirs and I,ve found that I get more fish when bank fishing if rather than drop-shotting I use a floating lure on a mushroom shaped jig-head, something like a "crazy fish polaris " and keep it bouncing on the bottom but really slow, and also if the bottom is snaggy with rocks use the lightest jighead you can get away with , coz this won,t fall too far between the rocks , small shads like a 1 inch kopyto work well too Smile
yes mal done a bit  from the bank myself  which is not a problem because your in relatively shallow water. And working it back to the bank side .
been out on the boat today anchored up it 25ft water with the sonar showing a lot of fish under the boat , I used the drop shot rod and the usual grubs  but to no effect , the water was solid with bait
fish 6ft off the bottom  ,there was plenty of pike to about to 14lb...  to be had on float gear.
so need some advice about fishing from the boat using dropshotting gear
and your right about the kopyto lures really like these..
thanks mal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down