PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Night fishing for pike

+4
Andy Webster
BradfordLad
robh107
Brookie
8 posters

Go down

Night fishing for pike Empty Night fishing for pike

Post  Brookie Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:55 pm

thinking about doing some night fishing for the pike, dos anybody else go and do u think its worth it!!! oh and i have been useing the float ledger rig for deadbaiting,with no other indication , but i am going to start useing a straight ledger rig, but the question i am getting at is can i use my normal carp set up of alarms and the chain type backdrops? or do i have to have the steel rod type back drops? these 2 things have been really bugging me!!!
Brookie
Brookie

Back to top Go down

Night fishing for pike Empty Re: Night fishing for pike

Post  robh107 Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 pm

i'd say definitely try it mate, i used to do it all the time on one venue because the pike never seemed to feed as often during the day.
as for the alarm set up i'd say definitely invest in some rear drop off swingers (fox pike ones are just about the best), fish straight running ledgers with open bale arms and the drop off clipped up as light as you dare and as close to the reel spool as you can.
one thing to be aware of though mate, just be sure that whatever alarms you use pick up runs on a slack line/open bale arm properly, i have some fox micron m's and they're terrible when i try using them that way. one way i found to get better indication from them is to position the rod so the butt ring is tight up against the alarm creating an angle for the line to be dragged across the roller.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Night fishing was something i was thinking about when i start Pike Fishing but then i had a re-think.

To me Pike angling is all about indication and speed of hooking all for the welfare of the fish. So your Beepers are fine but i reckon your chain bobbins are not...Rumour as it that a Winter Pike may only give you a single beep on your alarm(Unlike a screaming Carp run) and then the angler has to lift the rod and be ready to set the hooks...As it can only take a matter of seconds to deep hook a fish you have to be ready.

Me and the night dont go too well together i just know if i get into my Bivvey wrapped up i'll be sleep and wont hear the odd beep.

Your other point about the Chain Alarms.The problem with these are false alarms if they swing in the wind,your next false alarm could be fish. Hence the reason i think Drop Back Indicators are rigid...

So i wont be night fishing for the reasons above,i'm sure there's a few more...I will though,camp on the banks until the Sun comes up.

Just my view and i'm a new Pike Angler Cool

Last edited by BradfordLad on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Some excellent points Mr Bradfordlad.

Always caught well when night fishing for pike, but I haven't done much night fishing in the winter...too cold and the dark is too long. Try staying for an hour or two into dark to see if the pike will feed in the dark, but my guess is they will. Then you can consider if it is worth full nighters. You definitely don't want to risk a deep hooking situation so you may be wise to reel in and get some shut eye for a few hours before getting up a couple of hours before daylight and recasting. That will be safer for the fish.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 pm

[img]Night fishing for pike Weighteddroparm[/img]

This is what I would recommend Very Happy

Why not try Pike fishing at night, they often seem to go on the feed at dusk..

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:59 pm

I have also been thinking about doing a few night sessions this winter, but will have to get the bivvy first
The Otter
The Otter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks Bazz, it now all makes sense................I am still coming to grips with all the local gadgetry.... Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Bazz,

Which make and model of drop off indicators are those? cyclops

Like the look of them, Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Trent Piker Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:58 pm

nightwatchman wrote:Bazz,

Which make and model of drop off indicators are those? cyclops

Like the look of them, Wink

Bazz might not be around for a while. He's having problems with his internet connection and virgin media won't be out to fix it until the 12th of Jan! Crying or Very sad
Trent Piker
Trent Piker

http://www.trentpiker.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:11 pm

okey dokey mate, no worries. Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Have a look at this thread Nightwatchman Wink

https://pikeangler.forumotion.com/general-pike-fishing-f1/2-x-bazzbiter-mk1-s-t635.htm

Bazz explains his "bazzbiters".

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:02 pm

[quote="nightwatchman"]Bazz,

Look up "Billy's Backbiters" & Steve Bown, he makes these At about £12 they are very good Very Happy

Currently on works computer to post on here, its a nightmare with a Three mobile! Rolling Eyes

Virgin Media have been hopeless so far, good mind to cancel with them! I am considering buying a 3 dongle & using mobile internet minus any contracts....! AOL will only have me back on a 12 month contract Rolling Eyes

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down