PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FISHING VERY COLOURED RIVERS?

5 posters

Go down

FISHING VERY COLOURED RIVERS? Empty FISHING VERY COLOURED RIVERS?

Post  Guest Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 am

Morning all,

I'm out for the day tomorrow to start my river pike campaign but am facing pretty high coloured water and wonder how you might approach it...

I'm thinking very smelly dead-bait on one rod, i.e. lamprey or mackerel, float fished, but popped up off the bottom...

On the second rod a lively roaming live-bait such as perch or roach that should attract the pike via vibration detection...

I'm going to fish a weir pool but will concentrate on the slower lest turbulent water in the run-off as the river bends sharply around to the right.

There's lots of over hanging trees and a wide low bridge that I know should hold the pike from previous experience. Oh, and this is where I got my PB perch 3lb-4oz on a small live-bait so you never know! Cool

Anything you might add to that?

Cheers,Jeff

Back to top Go down

FISHING VERY COLOURED RIVERS? Empty Re: FISHING VERY COLOURED RIVERS?

Post  nickcarpy Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:04 pm

sounds good mate,gave bad weather tomorrow in most places.anyway good luck an let us know how tou get on. Smile
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Ive been given a few tips from my local tackle shop about the Trent. The hot-spots seem to be in the 'slack' areas near the many Weirs, also, like you say, near bridges too. There are a few boating Marinas adjacent to the Trent, too, which are supposed to be good. Trent generally runs pretty clear, unless there's been plenty of rain.

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi Jeff

My one piece of advice for you and anyone else is...

Get the lures out and change types if they aren't working.

The fish will be active at the bottom of a wier and can be relied on to feed.

Regards

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  adamscott Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:01 pm

In my experience a very coloured river does not fish well for Pike. But if you've got a bait in the water your in with a chance.
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:10 pm

I took a look this afternoon before making a final decision and the water colour isn't that bad at all, green haze rather than chocolate brown thank god!!!

I've picked a swim that looks very good indeed, only hope I get it, but thursday, cold, bit of rain in the early hours, I don't expect anyone else to be there...

I'll post tomorrow night with how we get on...

Cheers
Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  John Dinnewell Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:34 pm

I hope you have had a good day Jeff? Today here in gods own country ( North Yorkshire) we have had a bit of snow which will know doubt have an effect on the rivers this weekend Rolling Eyes
My experience of fishing coloured water especially after snow water is in the river is to keep moving swims and never give up. Keep your options open and try fish slack water which will be a normal patrol route for the Pike. A feeding pattern may just last a few minutes each day in such conditions.
I have also found that nailing your bait to the bottom is not sometimes the best option, try fishing a paternoster half depth. If the Pike are on the feed which will probably be for a very limited time in such coloured water they will move up and down in the water layers to find optimum feeding conditions.
Other than large livebaits ( if you can catch them) the usual smelly sea deads and lamprey will probably work better than coarse bait deads.

As Andy has mentioned it's definatley worth chucking lures about. Even if you do not catch on the lures if you have baits out by chucking a few lures about it can stir them up enough to make them go on the feed for a shortwhile
Hope this helps.
All the best
John

John Dinnewell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi John,

I'm afraid that today was a blankety-blank, as we had a ton of rain last night that lasted through until 11am... We were on the bank by 7.30 in said pouring rain and the water was up and more coloured than when I looked at it yesterday...

I fished mackerel tail popped up on one rod. I also bagged a dozen wonderful live-baits (roach and small chub) that on the right day would have cleaned up where I was. I spent the day walking around various swims, plenty of slack areas, over hanging trees, under the bridge, and even paternostered under the sill of the weir. I couldn't have fished it better, and on another day..............

6 hours later the air temperature was dropping fast as the cloud gave way to clear skies, that well and truly killed it off so we packed it in...

I have finally drilled it into my head that I should head for still water in such conditions again... Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Its strange but around here all the Canals join the Trent & the gravel Pits tend to be near it & often, they rise with the River Shocked

Give a still water a go, why not. Not a good day for your river campaign Sad

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:51 am

Bazz wrote:Its strange but around here all the Canals join the Trent & the gravel Pits tend to be near it & often, they rise with the River Shocked Sad

Most lakes will rise and fall as they are usually in line with the water table... Still, they don't flow at a hundred miles an hour as the river was... Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down