PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use of braid

+3
MAD BAD ANGLER
fatcaff
Hiker
7 posters

Go down

Use of braid Empty Use of braid

Post  Hiker Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:42 pm

I saw that Martin Bowler used 30lb braid with a 40lb trace together with heavy duty swivels. I wondered how he deals with snags. I know that when I've hit a snag, pulling for a break takes some doing even with 15lb line. What are the general views on using such heavy duty tackle. Is it really necessary?

Hiker

Back to top Go down

Use of braid Empty Re: Use of braid

Post  fatcaff Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:20 pm

I use 50lb braid and use a rotten bottom system for my lead and never had to pull for a break. If the hook snags 50lb powerpro takes no time in straightening them.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:00 pm

the idea of using heavy braid is that if you do get snagged and have to pull for a break, the hooks will straighten out first therefore getting your rig back, and not leaving a baited trace in the water to potentially kill a pike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Just as MadBad says..... Plus braid is so much nicer to fish with than heavy mono eg it doesn't kink or have any memory and the knots pull tight nicely and neatly, plus bite detection is so positive with virtually zero stretch. I detest the thin Drennan legering braid for general fishing though, had a few bad experiences

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:25 am

i use 65lb power pro with 28lb esox drannan 7 strand
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  Hiker Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:03 pm

fatcaff wrote:I use 50lb braid and use a rotten bottom system for my lead and never had to pull for a break. If the hook snags 50lb powerpro takes no time in straightening them.

What is a rotten bottom system?

Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:18 pm

I use a length of 15lb mono attached to a ledger boom that way if the lead snags up the mono will give up before the braid and you dont leave a baited trace in the water.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:53 pm

30lb whiplash all the way mate. casts like a dream and no wind knots. always manage to straighten my trebles as i use ashimas or vmc's depending whats in stock. owners are bloody dear and sometimes you can't straighten them out but they do snap!
plus with the braid if a fish farts near your rig you can see the line move Razz

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:13 pm

coops440 wrote:30lb whiplash all the way mate. casts like a dream and no wind knots. always manage to straighten my trebles as i use ashimas or vmc's depending whats in stock. owners are bloody dear and sometimes you can't straighten them out but they do snap!
plus with the braid if a fish farts near your rig you can see the line move Razz
whip lash does go a bit furry after a while you don't get that with power pro pal Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:44 pm

stubbo wrote:
coops440 wrote:30lb whiplash all the way mate. casts like a dream and no wind knots. always manage to straighten my trebles as i use ashimas or vmc's depending whats in stock. owners are bloody dear and sometimes you can't straighten them out but they do snap!
whip lash does go a bit furry after a while   you don't get that with power pro pal Very Happy
i don't go often enough to have that problem! lol Smile

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down