PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

popped up dead baits!!!

+5
robh107
Andy Macfarlane
Lefty
nickcarpy
Higgi - Specimen Hunter :
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

popped up dead baits!!! Empty popped up dead baits!!!

Post  Higgi - Specimen Hunter : Fri May 29, 2009 9:48 pm

i was dead baiting the other day with my bait sat on the bottom and had nothing, just wondered what people thought to popped up dead baits, do they work???

Back to top Go down

popped up dead baits!!! Empty Re: popped up dead baits!!!

Post  nickcarpy Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 pm

yes mate,an they do work.way i look is pike are hunters not scavangers,they chase fish all day long.where do fish hang/go when under threat?weed ,snags ect.so they hang about where protection is easy.so pop a bait over or near weed an see what happens.butthen you will get a percentage after a easy meal gettin a dead bait lyeing on bottom.cud the pike doing that be ill?or could it be bone idle?or even old?loads of questions there lads so whats your veiws.
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Higgi - Specimen Hunter : Fri May 29, 2009 11:13 pm

im gonna have to give them a try, i was fishing on the bottom the other day and i didnt have a sniff, then i changed to a float and fished about a foot off the bottom and first cast caught a 13 pounder on the dot!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri May 29, 2009 11:16 pm

I've personally had very little luck when using popped up baits. Don't know if it's my method that needs tweaking Suspect

Nick, the way I understand it is that pike lay up near likely spots and wait for fish to come along before striking and getting their meal. Only in the warmer months they actively feed and chase fish.

I've found, through my own experience and reading books, articles on line, speaking to old guys that been piking for years etc, that pike usually wait for sick/dying/young/weak/dead prey to come by and take that instead of using up valuable energy reserves going around chasing fitter fish.

Jack pike have a habit of doing that and this is where the notion of all pike being indiscriminate killers of all fish comes from. Hence fishery owners that aren't clued up don't like pike and want rid of them so 'normal' anglers can enjoy their fishing more without fear of getting bitten off as they reel in a roach/bream/perch/ide etc. In turn this just goes to fill the greedy owner pockets because more anglers will go on the banks of his water knowing there aren't pike present.

Only when jack pike grow a little older and wiser do they settle down and go into 'stealth mode'.

Like I say, this is how it has been told to me for a long time and I hold true to this theory. Anybody feel free to enlighten me further and point me in the right direction to see proof if you will.

Must say though, if your bait is hidden in weed it won't be seen so popping up does have it's merits.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun May 31, 2009 5:27 pm

I always pop up at least 1 of my baits. 2 if I'm using 4 rods. It definitely works a treat.

Just have a little faith and make sure the pop up material is tethered to the trace so old esox doesn't eat something plastic or something that could cause it internal damage if a lost bait is picked up.

Very often lazy pikers just shove some foam down the throat of the bait. I'm not sure if this does any actual harm but I don't think foams, plastics etc and digestive juices would be very nice together. That might prove lethal....I honestly don't know but for the sake of 4 inches of old trace wire, is it worth taking the chance?

Seriously, probably half of my bigger pike have come to popped-up baits. Use them in conjunction with buoyant leger stems if fishing into weed, silt or rocky ground, where a bait on the bottom could go unnoticed.

Pop-Ups With Tethers

popped up dead baits!!! Pop-ups

Homemade Buoyant Leger Stems

I make my own leger stems with a length of John Roberts rig tubing, 2 metal screw-in curtain hangers/picture rings and half a cork or 2-3 Fox poppers.
Gently heat one end of the rig tube and screw in your hanger. Once you've screwed the hanger in, dip that end of the tube in cold water to re-set the rig tubing solid. Glue if you're not that happy with the fixing but done correctly, it's solid. I can cast 4 oz leads no problem. Slide half a cork or 2 Fox poppers up the rig-tube and glue into position. Cut your tube to the length you want and then add the second hanger in the same way as the first. Hey presto....1 buoyant leger stem with metal rings.

popped up dead baits!!! HomemadeBuoyantLegerStems
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Higgi - Specimen Hunter : Sun May 31, 2009 5:34 pm

thats great advice andy, thank you pal, i shall be putting that into use the next time i go dead baiting!

cheers again

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun May 31, 2009 8:20 pm

I agree with andy.... the fox bait poppers in particular are great.... popped up baits have saved me a few blanks this past season so give 'em a go rigged the way andy said (same as my own)
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy Sun May 31, 2009 8:43 pm

remember to give the line a few tugs every so often higgi ,to put some movement into the popped up bait, this can produce a strike from a curios pike
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sun May 31, 2009 10:00 pm

Some good ideas there lads, I'll have to give it a try cheers
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Higgi - Specimen Hunter : Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:09 pm

cheers lads, your all being a great help, im quite new to pike fishing so thanks alot, i will be trying all your tips hopefully they'll work for me, ta very much Smile cant wait to go fishin now bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:05 pm

Andy, Could you please post a diagram or photograph of a rig set up and ready to use so I (we) can see how it's done correctly.

As already said, I've never really had much success popping up and was wondering if I was doing it correctly.

It will be very much appreciated. What a Face
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Lefty wrote:Andy, Could you please post a diagram or photograph of a rig set up and ready to use so I (we) can see how it's done correctly.

As already said, I've never really had much success popping up and was wondering if I was doing it correctly.

It will be very much appreciated. What a Face

same for me andy, please, i've never tryed your setup.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am

I will do lads. I just have to get through the piles of tackle lying all over the place and tidy up first. I promise though...will do. Remind me if I don't.

Smile
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks Andy, looking forward to that.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Rolling Eyes come on andy, av a comp on on saterday and i need all the help i can get Crying or Very sad
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 am

greg wrote:i need all the help i can get

People often say that about me. Razz

Our lass says I'm beyond help. Crying or Very sad
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Lefty wrote:
greg wrote:i need all the help i can get

People often say that about me. Razz

Our lass says I'm beyond help. Crying or Very sad

i tryed paying for help, didni help either Laughing
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:48 pm

I'll get on the pop-up rig over the weekend OK lads. Sorry, just been busy.

....Andy....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

popped up dead baits!!! Empty pop ups work

Post  allan fae fife Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 pm

dont laugth at me but wen i started out piking id belive anything the guys selling me would work. cut a long story short me the (sucker)got talked in 2 buying a bottle of predator+ fish attractor in short its a bottle of fish blood supposedly.it smells rank and wat u do is u get a syringe and inject blood in2 your bait fish slowly trickles out and attracts the pike in with the smell.in my oppinion a total waste of my time and money.so now i just make up ice cubes with the blood toss them into the swim where im fishing and use the syringe 2 inject just air in to my bait fish this gives them a little boyancy and lifts them off the bottom a little.a small weight attatched 1 foot or 2 above the trace insures that it dosent just rise rite bac 2 the surface hope this helps u can get syringes from some takle shops or a chemist should be able 2 help.do u know any smack heads lol.hope this helps
allan fae fife
allan fae fife

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:37 pm

I've heard that predator plus is a waste of time too.

Your idea of blood ice cubes is similar to mine that I must get round to trying. Blend up some fish guts along with some sprats/sardines etc. and pour into 35mm film canisters before freezing. Pop these into a feeder that is on my mainline and as it melts it will then release a fishy trail for mr/mrs pike to follow towards my waiting deadbait.

Fish guts can probably be gotten free from the fish market and sprats are very inexpensive. I used sprats exclusively last winter and had decent success on them. Caught my PB on one.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Just a thought on the ice cube guys, make sure they don't float!

You can put a stone inside to add weight.

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Just a thought on the ice cube guys, make sure they don't float!

You can put a stone inside to add weight.

Andy Webster

You're correct there Andy, ice* has a lower density than water so floats. Hence my idea of putting it (them) into a feeder. That way the lead on the feeder will hold it on the bottom.

*frozen water is 9% less dense than liquid water at zero degrees centigrade, at a pressure of one atmosphere, and liquid water is at it's densest at 4 degrees centigrade.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:17 pm

*frozen water is 9% less dense than liquid water at zero degrees centigrade, at a pressure of one atmosphere, and liquid water is at it's densest at 4 degrees centigrade.[/quote]

lefty, you just took that too far Razz
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Sorry, but I have a habit of randomly adding useless information that's no good to anybody really Razz

I wouldn't mind, my powers of memory always let me down when really needed. The amount of times I've gone and forgotten important stuff is unreal. Our lass has gotten used to me now though Very Happy

I blame it on the fact that by the time I was seven I had been to hospital 3 times for severe blows to the forehead area (twice in a week when I was just 3 years old!), getting smacked off my motorbike at a T junction when 17 (helmet was goosed after that, could've easily been my head) and then smacking the top of my head really hard when I was 21.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 pm

i think you will fine it's just OUR time of life Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next