PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Mono line ?

+28
pete777
esoxjeff
Son Of Fire
paddy pike
onetoner
stubbo
patch
tommynotoes
essox_lucius1
stephen abbott
Alex Makk
noz
RICKYBIGGS
Andy Macfarlane
The Otter
craigpix2000
Lefty
nickcarpy
noodle
Chumley Warner
MAD BAD ANGLER
Andy Webster
Bazz
Trent Piker
adie1200
greg
robh107
BradfordLad
32 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Which Mono line ? Empty Which Mono line ?

Post  BradfordLad Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Hello all,
Just about to load my reels with Mono but need to know which to buy...I need a good line for Deadbait fishing.Whats the line are you Guys using ?

I will be filling a third spare spool with a type of floating braid for drift fishing but thats another post. (unless you can help here too)

Thanks Paul Very Happy

Last edited by BradfordLad on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Which Mono line ? Empty Re: Which Mono line ?

Post  robh107 Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:59 pm

daiwa sensor or berkeley big game.... either one in 15lb b/s should be more than sufficient and both come in 1/4lb spools (normally enough to fill 3 decent sized reels).
both of the above mentioned are reliable and tough but the berkeley has the edge because although it is slightly more expensive it also breaks at a few pounds heavier than the stated b/s and seems to be slightly more abrasion resistant.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:02 pm

daiwa sensor, 15lb. you can go for the moe expensive brands, but you wont go wrong with this. floating braids i dont know about all mine sink Very Happy . noodle named one in an older post but i cant remember what kind it was...
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Daiwa sensor for me also Very Happy

It take some beating!! 15lb should cover just about all your piking needs Wink Wink

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Trent Piker Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:30 pm

I agree with the others, bulk spool of 12lb Daiwa sensor does it for me, excellent line.
Trent Piker
Trent Piker

http://www.trentpiker.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:02 pm

I like and use both, very good they are too. I'm using braid more and more now though, even for bait fishing...

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:03 pm

I use Daiwa sensor too. 15lb B/S.

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:21 pm

15lb big game. never let me down. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumley Warner Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:26 pm

I use Power Pro braid for my floater fishing for carp mate and it floats all day and lifts off the top when correcting lines no bother.

Chumley farao
Chumley Warner
Chumley Warner

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:18 pm

light weights the lot of you 18lb sensor for me Laughing

braid wise if you ar epurely using it for drifting in all honesty the fox drifter braid is good but if you want to use if for a bit of bait fishing then power pro is a good one there are others thogh if you cant buy power pro (he may only buy local not everyone wants to buy online)
penn dynabraid waveblaster, daiwa sensor braid, fireline shimano antares are all good and work, although im not fond of the firelines but thats a personall one they are good

one other thing if you just want it for drifter fishing lightweight braid of 30lb bs will be ok if you intend on mixing it go for 50 its a fair bit more robust (with the fireline you can probably get away fishing a bit lighter as its diameter in 30lb is similar to 50 lb in most other brands)
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:34 pm

yes as i stated in a previous post on this thread berkeley do seem to understate the breaking strain on their products..... i use fireline in 80lb for my very occasional wreck fishing trips off whitby and it does seem to break well above 80lb
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks Guys Daiwa Sensor it is then... alien
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:15 pm

you will be fine with that

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:48 pm

i used sensor line for years but this gone on to krysron krystsronite.top line buta little dearer than sensor but worth it..
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:18 pm

I agree, You can't go wrong with Sensor line. I've used it in various breaking strains over the years and always been happy with it.

Wanted to change my (mono) line for this season and my usual supplier didn't have any. He told me to try his latest one which is Relix Carp Linq in camo finish. He said it is up to 8X more abrasion resistant than 'normal' mono lines. Time will tell.

Incidently, I have gone over to braid and only use the mono on new waters where I am unsure about snags etc. Braid is a fair bit more expensive to replace than mono if you keep getting cut offs due to snags.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Lefty wrote:I agree, You can't go wrong with Sensor line. I've used it in various breaking strains over the years and always been happy with it.

Wanted to change my (mono) line for this season and my usual supplier didn't have any. He told me to try his latest one which is Relix Carp Linq in camo finish. He said it is up to 8X more abrasion resistant than 'normal' mono lines. Time will tell.

Incidently, I have gone over to braid and only use the mono on new waters where I am unsure about snags etc. Braid is a fair bit more expensive to replace than mono if you keep getting cut offs due to snags.

but with hefty enough braid you shouldnt really get cut off as much, if it floats its even harder to suffer with cut offs

Rob, if ou have any spools of the fireline will you see how it rates it?
i mean does it give a knot strength or linear strength?
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:20 pm

tbh i put all the braid onto my reel and threw the spool out so i couldnt tell you mate..... you should be able to find out online somewhere
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 pm

I used to use, and still have loaded on my reels, a line called "Kingfisher Giant Abrasion" which I used to get back in South Africa. It is an excelent line which is extremely limp, has a very low diameter to breaking strain ratio, and could stand up to everything that the Indian Ocean and its coastline had to throw at it so should be able to deal with the rigors of aq bit of pike fishing just fine.
I haven't seen it in the tackle shops here so am not sure what I am going to do when my reels next need respooling - must admit that I haven't given it much thought until I saw this thread????? Rolling Eyes
I may need to have a look what it would cost to have some posted over but am sure it would be cheaper just to buy an equivilent over here.........

Back to top Go down

Post  craigpix2000 Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:14 am

ive used krystonite for a while now in 15lb but recently spooled 2 spare spools with power pro braid and its awsome stuff especially for float work will stay on the surface all day long its a little expensive but worth it Very Happy
craigpix2000
craigpix2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:05 am

noodle wrote:with hefty enough braid you shouldnt really get cut off as much, if it floats its even harder to suffer with cut offs
I use 40lb Power Pro. It doesn't float when legering.

If I go to a new water and don't know what it's like for shelves, drop offs, sunken trees, dumped shopping trolleys, cars etc. then it makes sense to use a less expensive line than the braid.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 pm

Right then so what are we saying for best braid and best mono? again i wll be looking to purchase tomorrow and have also been thinking about braid but not a clue which to use?
The Otter
The Otter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:23 pm

As craig has said, Power Pro is expensive but a good reliable line in my experience.
And you definitely can't go wrong with Sensor mono.

(little tip: buy Power Pro, or indeed any other braid, from ebay America. I got 300mtr spool for same price as a 100mtr roll from UK)
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:54 pm

Got to agree with Noodle here. I wouldn't use anything less than 18lb Sensor these days. That or Daiwa Tournament mono, which is pre-stretched, more sensitive, has a lower diameter and far more durable. That's the stuff I load my Big Pit with.

...Andy...
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Gone for the Berkley Big game 15lb seems ok but will have to see Question
The Otter
The Otter

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:06 pm

It's really tough stuff Otter and I honestly cannot see you having any problems with regards to banking fish of any size, knot strength or abrasion resistance. The only thing I don't like is it's memory. It's very springy and it has a tendency to form huge coils which spring off the spool.

If a pike only pulls at a bait enough to pull the line from the line clip on the drop-arm indicator, huge coils of line spring of the spool and if there's a wind blowing, there's a risk of the line wrapping round a reel handle or getting trapped under the spool. On more occasions than I care to remember, I had to flip the bail arm and retrieve all this line through my fingers to keep it taught, while I wound it back onto the reel. Not a problem if you use baitrunners mind you.

It's good line but I'd hate to see one of my rods disappearing into the water because the line had caught a handle or something. That's why I much prefer the Tournament mono on my Big pit reel. It's pre-stretched so there are no memory issues and the diameter makes for longer casts. It was also originally meant for beach fishing and as such, it's really abrasion resistant and it's strength far exceeds it's given rating.

....Andy....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next