PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Rigs

+6
noodle
Andy Webster
greg
adamscott
robh107
The Flying Scot
10 posters

Go down

River Rigs Empty River Rigs

Post  The Flying Scot Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Now I am just getting back into Pike fishing after some 20 yrs out. I used to fish mainly in large Scottish lochs.
So the question is if you could only use one rig for the rest of your river pike fishing what would it be?

The Flying Scot

Back to top Go down

River Rigs Empty Re: River Rigs

Post  robh107 Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:23 pm

thats a seemingly simple and yet complicated question to answer..... it would depend on the depth, pace and sheer width of the river, but if it was to be one rig then i'd say float ledger with my rod tip as high as i could get it and the line between tip and float (line running through it NOT attached bottom end style) not touching the water surface...... couple this with a ledger weight which is just heavy enough to hold bottom and then when a pike takes the bait the buoyancy of the float takes most of the weight of the ledger weight so effectively the only resistance is the resistance of the float in the current.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  adamscott Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:27 am

One rig will never cover all situations.

One rig I use a lot is a standard float (trotting) set-up and used for fishing lives or deads. By attaching a lead link to the eye of the top treble will turn it into a paternoster rig without having to break any gear down. By having the lead link attached to the top top treble turns your trace into an up-trace as well.
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:53 pm

their seem to be alot of rigs n tips, to do with river fishing that most anglers dont or wont give up. why i dont know..
to get your rod up high try using a sea fishing rod stand.
i mostly do loch fishing for pike bud, not much help i know.
have a look at the PAC site for some rigs "might" help. cheers
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:26 pm

greg wrote:their seem to be alot of rigs n tips, to do with river fishing that most anglers dont or wont give up. why i dont know..

Speaking from a personal point of view Greg, I can confirm that I have all the secrets and would never dream of revealing the "perfect for all river situations rig" for fear of everyone catching a fish. scratch

Or maybe there isn't one. Razz

I answered a similar question on another forum only a couple of weeks ago...

I tend to float ledger when fishing rivers unless I am putting a bait under the rod tip when I will ledger it. With rod tips kept high, the float helps to keep line out of the water. This reduces the amount of rubbish that will collect on your line. Recast regularly (20 mins or so) and move swims too (every hour should be fine). Use fresh baits (see Bill Winship's article in the last pikelines). Check the line for damage before casting out each time.

And continued with another post...

Far bank or mid river use a float ledger and keep the rod tips high so the line from rod tip to float is off the water. This reduces the effect of water flow and debris dragging the line downstream. I like the sensitivity of the float too.

For close in deadbaiting you can still use the float but it will need to be set to a depth that is quite close to that of the water. Or you can use the straight ledger.

The advantage of using the float when fishing further out is that of keeping line out of the water. When fishing close in it doesn't really matter as there won't be much lin in the water anyway; unless you are fishing the near bank water but casting further downstream when doing so.

I guess what this all means is that the further the bait is from the rod tip, the more likely I am to prefer using a float.

I hope this makes sense

The thing is Greg, and the flying scot, there isn't a magic formula for river piking or any other. Hard work, perseverance, tenacity and time on the bank will help you to catch more fish than searching the internet for a revelation.

Keep asking the right questions and the great people on this forum will answer, if they feel they can help. Very Happy

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Andy Webster wrote:
greg wrote:their seem to be alot of rigs n tips, to do with river fishing that most anglers dont or wont give up. why i dont know..

Speaking from a personal point of view Greg, I can confirm that I have all the secrets and would never dream of revealing the "perfect for all river situations rig" for fear of everyone catching a fish. scratch

Or maybe there isn't one. Razz

I answered a similar question on another forum only a couple of weeks ago...

I tend to float ledger when fishing rivers unless I am putting a bait under the rod tip when I will ledger it. With rod tips kept high, the float helps to keep line out of the water. This reduces the amount of rubbish that will collect on your line. Recast regularly (20 mins or so) and move swims too (every hour should be fine). Use fresh baits (see Bill Winship's article in the last pikelines). Check the line for damage before casting out each time.

And continued with another post...

Far bank or mid river use a float ledger and keep the rod tips high so the line from rod tip to float is off the water. This reduces the effect of water flow and debris dragging the line downstream. I like the sensitivity of the float too.

For close in deadbaiting you can still use the float but it will need to be set to a depth that is quite close to that of the water. Or you can use the straight ledger.

The advantage of using the float when fishing further out is that of keeping line out of the water. When fishing close in it doesn't really matter as there won't be much lin in the water anyway; unless you are fishing the near bank water but casting further downstream when doing so.

I guess what this all means is that the further the bait is from the rod tip, the more likely I am to prefer using a float.

I hope this makes sense

The thing is Greg, and the flying scot, there isn't a magic formula for river piking or any other. Hard work, perseverance, tenacity and time on the bank will help you to catch more fish than searching the internet for a revelation.

Keep asking the right questions and the great people on this forum will answer, if they feel they can help. Very Happy

Andy Webster

i think your picking me up wrong here andy Rolling Eyes . some of the tips that you and others have picked up, might not be yours to share with others Exclamation . or some may feel this way. its the same as showing someone your best swim......

i'm not knocking anything on this fourm, or any of its members.
thanks for your reply andy Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi Greg

There are few secrets on here, only the watery ones, and most of those are only due to our rule lol!

Do you feel that there are rig secrets in the piking world?

Andy

Last edited by Andy Webster on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Hi Greg

There are few secrets on here, only the watery ones, and most of those are only due to our rule lol!

Do you feel that there are rig secrets in the piking world?

Andy

perhaps because i put pac in what i wrote, i'm not the first to do it on here Very Happy .
sometimes a picture says alot. more than words at times.
the thing with fourms is no one see's you smile when you write it, then it can at times be taken the wrong way.

Do you feel that there are rig secrets in the piking world?....... perhaps thats a no, perhaps knowing how to read the water better. summer then winter.
using the map site andy mc f put on for us.
it has helped me with one large loch Very Happy

cheers gregor
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:44 pm

er secret rigs

i know a couple but....

one is the inverted drifter by eric edwards which allows you to fish a float with no lead on the deck and keep it in one place in the flow

another upstream fishing i have never seen another pike angler doing this, when ou consider the advantages fishing upstream offers as opposed to across or downstream i think most are missing a trick

lures probably the worst kept secret on rivers cover loads of fish lots of water and find those perfect out of the way bait fishing spots fro when that takes your fancy
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:33 pm

ummmm secret rigs?? i only fish simply and if someone less experienced asks a question about rigs then i answer it with total honesty.
we were literally asked if we were to use one rig for the rest of our river piking lives what would it be?? thats why i said at the start its complicated to answer Laughing
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 am

my one choice is easy

5 ounce of lead with a dead anchored of it
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  The Flying Scot Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks for the replies lads Smile

The Flying Scot

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDg2zpkrWo

trotting a deatbait
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Mr Mak, thank you i enjoyed that Very Happy

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm

MrMakk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDg2zpkrWo

trotting a deatbait

Mick Brown A brilliant piker Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know were he is i used to fish there back in the 70s Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 am

adie1200 wrote:
MrMakk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDg2zpkrWo

trotting a deatbait

Mick Brown A brilliant piker Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know were he is i used to fish there back in the 70s Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Adie

Maybe you should take us there next forum, maybe we might catch a Pike lol! lol!

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am

Steve French wrote:[quote="adie1200
Maybe you should take us there next forum, maybe we might catch a Pike lol! lol!

I would love to go back there Very Happy
I've not been since about 1976/77
We used to go with bob gordens coachs from Rotherham he used to run 3 coachs on a sunday down to the crowland area stopping at the trent at newark then at various places on the river wellend !!
a group of about 8 of us used to go Very Happy Very Happy Happy days Very Happy

That first spot Mick is fishing below the weir is one of the places we fished But i wasn't into pike as much then so never fished for them on that bit !!
If only i know Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

River Rigs Empty river rigs

Post  bigchris Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:49 am

showing youre age there adie lol.bck in 76 77 was more into eating rusks,and giving me parents a headache. Laughing

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down