PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single hook tagging method

+6
stubbo
noodle
nightwatchman
esoxjeff
patch
Alex Makk
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Single hook tagging method Empty Single hook tagging method

Post  Alex Makk Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 am

Looked on piketrace and found this rig out.....looks very intresting...has anyone ever used the rig????????

here is a link

http://www.piketrace.co.uk/hairrigs.html

Last edited by MrMakk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Single hook tagging method Empty Re: Single hook tagging method

Post  patch Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:02 pm

ive tryed it mate and had better results useing one trebble than single hook
sum people only use single hook rigs
but remember ya have to watch what ya doing useing single rigs because there is a reel chance of deep hooking a fish! but some times it can be the only way to get a bite!
my mate used the method on the river afta blanking in the same spots useing normal rigs! so he tryed a single sprat and hook rig hooked through the lip in the same spots 20mins later he had a bite witch he struck into real quick! couldnt believe it! Shocked
the fish was 19lb 9oz so it does work Very Happy
most people use this rig for zander fishing than pike but it does work for both
give it a go! Cool
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:05 pm

MrMakk wrote:Lokked on piketrace and found this rig out.....looks very intresting...has anyone ever used the rig????????

here is a link

http://www.piketrace.co.uk/hairrigs.html
Hi MrMakk
i use a simular rig which has 2 singles attched, never worried about hooking asap,usually in scissors,
if you use the 2 single rig be carefull setting up, as the hooks appear to hook into anything and everthing, until they are in the bait. Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:09 pm

I've started experimenting with single hooks using the 'tag system'
It's basically like a hair rig.

Here's my rig

Single hook tagging method TaggedBait

And here's my first Pike caught on it.
Nine times out of ten they'll be hooked in the scissors.
Nice and easy to unhook! cheers

Single hook tagging method TaggedFish
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:38 pm

lefty one for you methinks

not a big fan of it i do use a hair on occasion for extreme range stuff but thats about it
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 pm

what method would you use with the rig....ledger(alarm setup) or float.....also if it ledgering....what weights would u use?
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Single hook tagging method Empty single hooks

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:31 pm

not being negative mate been there done that dont bother you will go back to trebles mate sooner or later Sleep Sleep Sleep
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:45 pm

MrMakk wrote:what method would you use with the rig....ledger(alarm setup) or float.....also if it ledgering....what weights
would u use?

It's mainly used for ledgering which can be a free running lead or a float ledger rig.
As for weight of leads there's already a post on peoples preferences. Some like a minimum of 3oz and some like as light as they can go.

I've sent you a PM on a forum thats discusses single hook systems in more detail. Cool
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:04 pm

just another fad from the mr brown stable to get people who are new to pike fishing to part with there money. big singles for livebaiting work ok Very Happy trebles all the way for me they dont slip and they dont rip Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:49 pm

well said deadbait pirat
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:55 pm

deadbait wrote:just another fad from the mr brown stable to get people who are new to pike fishing to part with there money. big singles for livebaiting work ok Very Happy trebles all the way for me they dont slip and they dont rip Very Happy
well said Deadbait,
it's all down to how confident you think, what you use for a given time works,
if it works for you WHY? change...IT WORKS Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 pm

MrMakk, I am also a member at the forum that nightwatchman is talking about.

I have always used singles for my pike fishing and I have 4 rigs that I carry in my kit.

Rig number 1 has a single hook of size 2/0 and one of size 4. The size 4 goes into the root of the tail, straight through the bone, and the size 2/0 goes into the flank and back out so as to expose the hook point. I tend to use this for larger baits and/or distance fishing. The smaller hook acts as an anchor to hold the bait during the cast.

Rig number 2 has just the size 2/0 hook for close in/margin work with a large bait. This is hooked through the root of the tail.

Rig number 3 has just a size 4 hook attached and is again for close in/margin work but with a small bait. Again hook goes in the root of the tail.

Rig number 4 is the tagging rig. This has a size 4 hook and is attached to the trace using a knotless knot tied over a 'loop' made in the end of the wire. Through this loop I pass the nozzle of a 'gun' which in turn gets pushed through the root of the tail on the bait fish and a plastic tag 'fired' through. The tags in question are the exact same type that hold labels on to items of clothing.

I always use the early strike method and GOOD bite indication is a must. This is because (my opinion and not proven in any way) I feel that the pike doesn't feel the hooks and there is less chance of them being seen so the pike has no qualms about swallowing the bait there and then.

I use all of my rigs legered and float legered. I have had a disastrous season so far so I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the tag method. However, if you visit the other website, you will see that people do have success and have landed some good fish.

There will always be people who pull down the use of singles and swear by the use of trebles. All I can say is 'Each to their own'. If people are confident in using trebles and can safely use them, then carry on using them.

I personally much prefer singles as I feel they offer a safer and kinder way of fishing if used responsibly and correctly. I also find unhooking very easy.

I have only ever had one deep hooked pike and this was due to not paying full attention. All I can say is, I'm glad I had barbless singles. The pike was returned safely and swam away strongly after a short rest in some reeds alongside where it was returned.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Has the forum got anything to do with ex. pro boxer Graig Winter.....? He is a single hook advocate Cool

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  patch Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 pm

well said there Lefty! Cool
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:33 pm

thanks lefty.... Very Happy
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Bazz wrote:Has the forum got anything to do with ex. pro boxer Graig Winter.....? He is a single hook advocate Cool

The same fella.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:39 am

Lefty wrote:
Bazz wrote:Has the forum got anything to do with ex. pro boxer Graig Winter.....? He is a single hook advocate Cool

The same fella.

there are a good few 'debates' on there keep meaning to head back again but time doesnt allow for it at the moment

singles do have uses

im not a big advocate of them and certainly not from the writings of a certain ex fox employee (who i do think is a true gent based on experience)
for long range and lives then they are good lures and big deads not for me im afraid
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:47 pm

For those who are interested, here is my way of creating a tag method trace. First of all can I apologise for the pictures. My camera is a fair few years old now and only 1.3Mp and not very good at close up's but you should get the jist of things. Also, I'm no David Bailey Smile.

Components:
Wire cutters, hooks, trace wire, twiddling stick (not necessary but makes life easier), rig sleeves and a swivel.

Single hook tagging method Dscf0022

So, lets make it!

Using the cutters, remove 2ft of wire from the roll (I use the depth of the kitchen worktop as a guide) and bend one end over approximately 1".

Single hook tagging method Dscf0023

Thread your trace wire through the back of the hook's eye.

Single hook tagging method Dscf0024

Make sure that the end of the wire is at the very top of the shank and tie the knotless knot. I do 10 turns around the shank before passing the wire back through the back of the eye. This gives a really strong and secure hold and if done correctly leaves a 'loop' of wire below the knot running down the shank of the hook.

Single hook tagging method Dscf0025

From the other end of the wire, slide on a rig sleeve and pull over the coils, leaving the 'loop' exposed.

Single hook tagging method Dscf0026

Now we attach the swivel at the other end of the trace wire. My preferred method is the twist method but you can crimp if you want.

Slide on a rig sleeve, not forgetting to get it the correct way around if using tapered ones like I do (wire goes in the thin end first).

Single hook tagging method Dscf0027

Pass the trace through the eye of a swivel then back through the opposite way to create a loop.

Single hook tagging method Dscf0028

Put your swivel through the loop and pull tight. This locks it in place.

Single hook tagging method Dscf0029

Using the twiddling stick, place the hook into the same eye as the trace wire and hold the wire with the tag end at 90 degrees to the main wire and spin the twiddling stick slowly to wrap the tag end around the main wire. Maintain a fairly tight grip on the wire to create a neat finish.

Single hook tagging method Dscf0030

When this is done, you should end up with something like this:

Single hook tagging method Dscf0031

Slide up your rig sleeve to finish.

And here is the finished article:

Single hook tagging method Dscf0032

The total finished length should be around 20" which I think is ideal.

Don't worry as, the 'kick' at the hook end can aid in hooking. Just ask anybody who goes carp fishing Very Happy .
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:58 pm

Nice write up lofty. Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:56 pm

well explained and pics ok Lefty Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Single hook tagging method Empty missed runs on singles

Post  stubbo Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:48 pm

Lefty wrote:MrMakk, I am also a member at the forum that nightwatchman is talking about.

I have always used singles for my pike fishing and I have 4 rigs that I carry in my kit.

Rig number 1 has a single hook of size 2/0 and one of size 4. The size 4 goes into the root of the tail, straight through the bone, and the size 2/0 goes into the flank and back out so as to expose the hook point. I tend to use this for larger baits and/or distance fishing. The smaller hook acts as an anchor to hold the bait during the cast.

Rig number 2 has just the size 2/0 hook for close in/margin work with a large bait. This is hooked through the root of the tail.

Rig number 3 has just a size 4 hook attached and is again for close in/margin work but with a small bait. Again hook goes in the root of the tail.

Rig number 4 is the tagging rig. This has a size 4 hook and is attached to the trace using a knotless knot tied over a 'loop' made in the end of the wire. Through this loop I pass the nozzle of a 'gun' which in turn gets pushed through the root of the tail on the bait fish and a plastic tag 'fired' through. The tags in question are the exact same type that hold labels on to items of clothing.

I always use the early strike method and GOOD bite indication is a must. This is because (my opinion and not proven in any way) I feel that the pike doesn't feel the hooks and there is less chance of them being seen so the pike has no qualms about swallowing the bait there and then.

I use all of my rigs legered and float legered. I have had a disastrous season so far so I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the tag method. However, if you visit the other website, you will see that people do have success and have landed some good fish.

There will always be people who pull down the use of singles and swear by the use of trebles. All I can say is 'Each to their own'. If people are confident in using trebles and can safely use them, then carry on using them.

I personally much prefer singles as I feel they offer a safer and kinder way of fishing if used responsibly and correctly. I also find unhooking very easy.

I have only ever had one deep hooked pike and this was due to not paying full attention. All I can say is, I'm glad I had barbless singles. The pike was returned safely and swam away strongly after a short rest in some reeds alongside where it was returned.
good article lefty but like you said everybody to there own having used singles myself in the past just see if it was a better method but it never really worked out for me anyway used to fish one rod singles other trebles .To get to the point the trebles out scored the singles by a mile my theory was that sometimes apike will grab abait across the length and run ......then i would strike most of the time missing the fish because the hook not in the pikes mouth ie the tagg method dont have explain why it works with trebles i also think a bait is easier to swallow useing singles than trebles but if your hook up rate is good stick with it ........that was my exsperiance on it Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Pics could have been sharper but that's down to not owning a better camera more than anything.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Lefty wrote:Thanks for the comments guys.

Pics could have been sharper but that's down to not owning a better camera more than anything.
pictures are good mate Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Lefty

I have added your instructions to the website

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk/advice/tagging_trace.html

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk