PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth

+14
BradfordLad
esoxjeff
kell
adie1200
Andy Webster
stephen abbott
deadbait
nickcarpy
Lucan
stubbo
Lefty
newie2010
BigSi
raf1870
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth - Page 2 Empty Re: Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth

Post  kell Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:04 am

not get any better than fox really they are all about the same ? Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth - Page 2 Empty Re: Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth

Post  Lefty Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Yeah, Fox Deabait Pencil most of the time for me.

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth - Page 2 Foxdedpenc
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:38 pm

me too....But have some Greys Prowla floats these are good.
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:38 pm

the drennon ones,muti purpose.inline aswell as bottom fixed if you want Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:44 pm

nickcarpy wrote:the drennon ones,muti purpose.inline aswell as bottom fixed if you want Very Happy
sound interesting nick. not seen them ones.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:56 pm

nickcarpy wrote:the drennon ones,muti purpose.inline aswell as bottom fixed if you want Very Happy

Drennon crystal floats for me. Zepler and piker. Although some say they reflect light and so will put the pike off. Tried the balsa floats which always break at the eye.

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:17 pm

the drennan floats (except pikebob) can be fixed on the bottom or inline, and the pike waggler is a bottom only
i have the........

drennan pike waggler no.2
drennan piker no.3
drennan zeppler no.3
not forgetting my home made floats.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Andy Webster wrote:

Drennon crystal floats for me. Zepler and piker. Although some say they reflect light and so will put the pike off. Tried the balsa floats which always break at the eye.
yes there the ones,only fault with them is there a bit weak,ad a few break/crack on me
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:17 pm

I've got a few old Drennon crystal floats and they are a lot better than the ones you get now Nick Wink
I've had lots of pike on them although i don't think mine are as shiny as the newer ones Laughing

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Lefty wrote:Yeah, Fox Deabait Pencil most of the time for me.

Float Fishing - Fishing Slightly Overdepth - Page 2 Foxdedpenc
good floats but they need quite a bit of wieght to fish them correctly couple of foot overdepth too Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm

stubbo wrote:good floats but they need quite a bit of wieght to fish them correctly couple of foot overdepth too Very Happy

That is the only drawback that I've found, they are really buoyant. In dead flat calm conditions, I find that 8gr is the minimum they will take to cock them, with more needed as it gets choppier. The buoyancy helps immensely with showing a drop back bite though.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Right I have been to the tackle shop now and got some eyed unloaded 6ssg floats. Think they might be big pellet wagglers but they will do the trick (all they had)

gonna give it a try on Saturday

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 am

sounds like there the ones mate just use a couple of stop knots either side some small beads as buffers and the bait will cock the float at a slight angle .I use this mainly for close range fishing say upto 25 yard on flat calm days Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:00 pm

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/grumbleweed/Fishing/pike2.jpg

going back to the image on the first page. What's stopping that unloaded float from laying flat? Do you just keep a fairly tight line so it cocks on the lead?

Just wanna make sure I fully understand. I have only used runnig ledgers for pike before

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:29 pm

no lead mate dont forget the wieght of the bait will be about 3 or 4 oz say half a mackrell or adead roach , lamprey section what ever bait you want ........this will act as the weight ...........dont forget the stop knots either side of the float and the small beads........got the picture lucon
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:50 pm

How does the bait do that when it laying flat on the bottom with (for example) 5ft of line above it to the float in 4ft of water?

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 pm

And there is definately a lead on that pic on the first page. I guess that's float ledgerig rather than suspending a bait under a float.

It's float ledgering I'm going for

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:02 pm

heres how i float ledger to fish it over depth just move the stop knot up so if the swim is 6ft set the stop knot at 7ft so your fishing one foot over depth
http://www.pacgb.co.uk/articles/tech1.htm
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Lucan wrote:How does the bait do that when it laying flat on the bottom with (for example) 5ft of line above it to the float in 4ft of water?
you should have 4 ft of line below your float to your bait its just like plumbing the depth of water in coarse fishing getting the picture now lucan Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Ok do I have a stop knot either side of the float or not?

If I'm in 5 foot of water do have 5 foot between float and lead then the trace and bait on the bottom?

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 pm

stubbo wrote:
Lucan wrote:How does the bait do that when it laying flat on the bottom with (for example) 5ft of line above it to the float in 4ft of water?
you should have 4 ft of line below your float to your bait its just like plumbing the depth of water in coarse fishing getting the picture now lucan Suspect
but that's not over depth is it. Or float ledgering?

I think im just gonna try it and see what works for ne

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi there Lucan.

To float ledger, you have (from rod tip) sliding stopknot, small rubber or plastic bead, float, bead, lead, bead, trace wire.

If you are fishing in 4ft of water, you need to set your stop knot 5ft from your lead. Cast out and when it has hit bottom, slowly wind in to cock and set the float. Any rise of the float indicates the bait has been picked up, along with the anchoring lead. Get ready to strike as the float will then start moving or dip under.

Last edited by Lefty on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:27 am

Lucan wrote:http://www.majhost.com/gallery/grumbleweed/Fishing/pike2.jpg

going back to the image on the first page. What's stopping that unloaded float from laying flat? Do you just keep a fairly tight line so it cocks on the lead?

Just wanna make sure I fully understand. I have only used runnig ledgers for pike before

Hi Lucan
right first you need a stop knot on your main line
This link shows you how to do one

Linky

Then you need a bead rubber is best for this then your chosen float then another bead then a bomb 2oz should be ok for this method
then another bead then your snap tackle

So thats stop knot / bead / float / bead / bomb / snap tackle !!
Set your stop knot to the depth you think the water is and cast the rig out if the float sinks move the stop knot up the line a little and try again !
If the float lays flat on the water then move the stop knot down the line
Do this until you have the fload set in the water as you want it Wink
Its now ready to use Very Happy
Or you can set it over depth by 6 to 12 inch so that when you cast it out the float lays flat on the water and you wind the line in until the float cocks and leave it like that !
Heres another link showing a float set up as discribed

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/simplerigs.html

Good luck mate Cool

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucan Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 am

Got it. Simple really but it needs to be set up right to avoid deep hooking and I wanted to make sure that didn't happen. The peny dropped when you said wind back to cock the float.

Thanks for taking the time to explain guys. I'm sure other newbies will find this thread usefull.

Lucan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:20 am

adie1200 wrote: Hi Lucan
right first you need a stop knot on your main line
This link shows you how to do one

Linky

Then you need a bead rubber is best for this then your chosen float then another bead then a bomb 2oz should be ok for this method
then another bead then your snap tackle

So thats stop knot / bead / float / bead / bomb / snap tackle !!
Set your stop knot to the depth you think the water is and cast the rig out if the float sinks move the stop knot up the line a little and try again !
If the float lays flat on the water then move the stop knot down the line
Do this until you have the fload set in the water as you want it Wink

the way i've done it before

Its now ready to use Very Happy
Or you can set it over depth by 6 to 12 inch so that when you cast it out the float lays flat on the water and you wind the line in until the float cocks and leave it like that !
Untill I was Shown this way.... i think it's better for sensitivity and ressistance

Heres another link showing a float set up as discribed

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/simplerigs.html

Good luck mate Cool

Adie
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next