PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weed and bait presentation

+3
tootall
paddy pike
Andy Webster
7 posters

Go down

Weed and bait presentation Empty Weed and bait presentation

Post  Andy Webster Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:29 pm

How do you tackle bait presentation on a weedy venue. Do you try to avoid it or let the bait land in the middle? Does weed bother you at all?

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Weed and bait presentation Empty Re: Weed and bait presentation

Post  paddy pike Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:16 pm

Well me being an old arris Andy, I always turn a deadbait into a pop-up, But try and make it so its head is down, But just above the weeds, If there are track through the weeds "Rabbit runs" then i do the same thing with the deadbait but within 3 inches of the river bed so the fish looks like its feeding, It works well for me Very Happy Give it a try
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:08 pm

head down feeding Paddy! Never thought of that. I've not had much on popped up baits but always had heads up. Thanks for the tip.

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm

am with paddy the head down thing when using popped up baits.

I try to critically balance my baits like you would a carp bait i.e. with the deadbait JUST sinking...usually on a longer trace and longer lead link too. This means you can pretty much chuck it wherever you want knowing that once the lead hits the deck the bait then very slowly sinks down and rests on top of the weed/debris/silt etc

can be a pain to get that balance right but i have found that messing around with wine corks (rigged like a normal pop up ball) that you can trim easily works well. Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 am

I fish a river which can be weedy most of the year round nowadays, even after all that snow and ice last year. I must say that I can get runs whilst the deadbait is in a formidable amount of weed. As Im sure some of us will find out in the next month or two. But the long trace and the slow sinking dead resting on top of the weed technique would get a big thumbs up from me.
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:43 am

I used to worry about the bait getting lost in weed, but nowadays I am not worried, it seems not to have a detrimental effect, and for the most will lie on top of weed, its only when you move the bait that the problems may arise, I like the idea of head down pop ups though Very Happy

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 pm

i fish in the weed, its where the pike would normally find dead fish. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 pm

If the weed is very thich against the sides of the river and the water is clear enough for you to see the bottom and find a track "Rabbit run" then you can also try this, Useing one treble trace, Hook the dead bait in the belly so as you look at the deadbait the hook and trace hang from the belly then put a piece of lead onto the trace so the lead is at the desired depth to allow the baitfish to show just before the top of the weeds, then useing mono from the dorsil fin to your popup at about one foot in length, this will then look like this from the top down, Popup on line from dorsal fin, deadbait as if swimming, Treble in the belly and trace wire down to river bed held by a lead, This works very well in slow flow and still water as the bait fish starts to look like it is swimming and pike cant resist it
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:48 am

I'll use a popped up bait if the weed is too bad or try to find a clearer area and put a bait in there, I don't care that the bait is head up and neither do the Pike, I certainly don't think they think a bait popped up so that its presented head down is a feeding fish!

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 pm

That was not what it was meant to look like, Just a more natural presentation, But if what you do works for you and you are confident with it then i would say never change a winning combination, Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 pm

I might fishing a 12"+ buoyant leger stem with a popped-up bait but the weed itself doesn't concern me. I often actively cast into weed but that said, the tackle must be up to it.

No 12lb line in there. 50lb braid or 18lb mono all the way.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down