PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Clothing

+8
Steve French
Andy Macfarlane
psion
Lefty
noodle
plumb68
stubbo
Saintsince73
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winter Clothing Empty Winter Clothing

Post  Saintsince73 Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Have some money that needs to be spent on myself. Don't really need any tackle, however am looking forward to some winter piking. Would like to get a set of camo Bib & Brace and also a jacket. Needs to be very warm, waterproof and ideally a hood. Any recommendations.

Many thanks
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Winter Clothing Empty Re: Winter Clothing

Post  stubbo Mon May 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Saintsince73 wrote:

Have some money that needs to be spent on myself. Don't really need any tackle, however am looking forward to some winter piking. Would like to get a set of camo Bib & Brace and also a jacket. Needs to be very warm, waterproof and ideally a hood. Any recommendations.

Many thanks
whycwood solace mate very very very warm mate
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 am

ive got a Wychwood jacket and bib and brace, had them since about 96 very warm indeed
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun May 27, 2012 7:03 pm

decent fleece and a wax wtih a floppy hat
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:45 pm

The best way to keep warm is to dress appropriately.

For Winter, the trick is to dress in layers. Thermals, wooly jumper, ex army 'Softie' jacket and trousers then ex army gortex jacket and trousers.

Keeps me very snug and warm as well as dry Wink
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for that Lefty, i was once a cub and scout some 30 years ago, however clothing has come a long way since then. I was thinking more along the lines of http://www.drennantackle.com/productDetail.php?category=59. In this day and age, a t-shirt, undies, long johns if really needy and some sort of specific fishing suit is all thats need. Juat after advice. For example the cheap Ron Thomson, keeps you warm, but as you move along the river covering many swims you sweat like a Twisted Evil in a sweat shop.
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:40 pm

ESP Digital 25000 mm (waterproof) and 10000 breathable

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:06 pm

I just pile on as many mixed layers as I can. I normally have waders on so I'm not a bib and brace type. Long-sleeved T-shirts, jumpers, fleeces, bodywarmers etc.

As long as the layers are of different matrials, you should be pretty well sorted.

A stove and hot food also goes a long way.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 am

Hi guys, floatation suit, bib and brace plus jacket, warm as toast and very good on bank or boat Very Happy

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  Birchyboy90 Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:27 pm

I hace a set of rivers west camys and they'r amazing. Totally waterproof and roasting lol!
Birchyboy90
Birchyboy90

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm

They look and sound like the buisness, however at that price it understandable. However when you cold, real cold - a few more pounds spent can turn a really cold day into a pleasure. I like the bib and also the Parka - whats your view mate? 10 year guarentee as well.
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  Birchyboy90 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 am

Yes 10 year garuntee that makes the price a bit more reasonable. I would recommend these to anybody. The best quality camos av seen!
Birchyboy90
Birchyboy90

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Prologic Max 4 Thermo Armour Pro and sallopettes, anyone tried them?
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 am

Ended up buying the prologic Max 4Thermo Armour Pro Jacket and also the matching prologic Max 4 Thermo Armour Pro Salopettes. Dont bother if you want to stay dry, Waste of £200-00. However to be fair to prologic, they refunded my within 48 hours of complaint.
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:05 am

the problem is finding something that is 100 percent waterproof dont believe all the hype when there product says waterproof .Theres plenty of suits that are warm but once the get wet say youve been out 8 hours in the rain its a different matter its seems to get in somewhere and then your cold and it puts a damper on the day. The only thing that i can suggest that is totally waterproof is a ex army type jacket and pants which i bought from a game fair the stall sold ex army gear its like a rip stop material welded seams couple this with a all in one fleece under suit and it keeps you warm but if your mobile you might sweat a bit this is the problem your wet again . some times i wear a neoprene chest wader with a good coat but you can get to warm at times but better to be warm than cold i say........
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 am

8 hours, i was wet through after 45 min. Made it a very long and cold session
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:17 am

Saintsince73 wrote:8 hours, i was wet through after 45 min. Made it a very long and cold session
theres nothing worse pal did a stint on me boat rained all day long the most miserable session i have ever had once you get cold your hearts not innit mate
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am

I reccomended a ESP Digital on here but I was out in heavy rain the other week and it let in.

I had an Ocean waterpoof that was 100% waterpoof but you could not walk 10 feet in it before

you were a pool of sweat, it was great in the boat tho.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 pm

psion wrote:
I reccomended a ESP Digital on here but I was out in heavy rain the other week and it let in.

I had an Ocean waterpoof that was 100% waterpoof but you could not walk 10 feet in it before

you were a pool of sweat, it was great in the boat tho.
great when your fishing static but not when a mobile approach is needed
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Right, well ive gone and spent the money, wife will kill me but ive just brought rivers West Original Bib & Brace and also the Rivers West Kentdale Parka. Brought from http://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html Spoke to a bloke called Jamie - top bloke highly recommend. Will report back out the gear, but comes with a 10 year waterproof guarantee
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:49 am

i find ex military stuff pretty good, you can get gortex gear for peanuts. Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Winter Clothing Empty layering

Post  brownfox Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:33 am

Most of you guys seem to be concentrating on the final layer,but the more, protective your outer layer from wind and rain is the more you will sweat which is a major problem when lugging all your gear to the swim if its some distance. The base layer wants to be a running long sleeve top ie helly hansen or similar this will wick the sweat away from your upper body, the same, for your socks get wicking ones that draw any sweat away.Theres a lot of bull talked about suits, Firstly if you want to see how dry and warm you can get in winter try riding a motorcycle unfaired. I have owned several BMW. Goretex full winter bike suits, are they warm no, do they keep you dry no it eventually gets through.All these fancy suits are fine but they dont tell you Goretex has a shelf life and will need replacing after several seasons. As has been said several layers with a waxproof top one or similar will do the same job cheaper.
brownfox
brownfox

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm

my thoughts exactly, i'm a biker too and the expensive stuff is no better than the cheaper stuff.
the ex-german military cold weather gear i'm buying now is terrific,, fully kitted out with thermal gear for under 50 quid.
if it pours down i'll get under a brolly lol
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 am

stubbo wrote:the problem is finding something that is 100 percent waterproof dont believe all the hype when there product says waterproof .Theres plenty of suits that are warm but once the get wet say youve been out 8 hours in the rain its a different matter its seems to get in somewhere and then your cold and it puts a damper on the day. The only thing that i can suggest that is totally waterproof is a ex army type jacket and pants which i bought from a game fair the stall sold ex army gear its like a rip stop material welded seams couple this with a all in one fleece under suit and it keeps you warm but if your mobile you might sweat a bit this is the problem your wet again . some times i wear a neoprene chest wader with a good coat but you can get to warm at times but better to be warm than cold i say........
same as really santa
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintsince73 Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:12 pm

The new Jacket & bib and brace seems great, however it’s not rained yet. Guaranteed waterproof for 10 years can’t be bad. Walked a long way with gear and did not sweat, although it was minus 3. It is a very hard wearing product and I know you can buy cheaper army style clothing, but this is specifically suited to my needs as the bib & brace keeps my back warm. Will feedback, but for a cheap fix ex army is a great solution.
Saintsince73
Saintsince73

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next