PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gate/clip on Fox Predator Drop-back indicators...

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

gate/clip on Fox Predator Drop-back indicators... - Page 2 Empty Re: gate/clip on Fox Predator Drop-back indicators...

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:35 pm

I'll take your word for that. I haven't put both to the test but to be honest, I've never been that fussy about what line-clips I use. Funnily enough, most of the folk that seem to find fault in line-clips can't set up their bite-indication up properly in the first place. hat isn't directed at you btw. I sometimes think folk make more of line-clips than is really required. If there's enough weight at the head of the drop-off, any clip should show a drop-back.
You should read the indicator thread on anglers Net. It's turned into a science. Whatever happened to dough-balls, foil, washing-up bottle tops and homemade monkey climbers? People caught fish then too.

....Regards....Andy....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

gate/clip on Fox Predator Drop-back indicators... - Page 2 Empty Re: gate/clip on Fox Predator Drop-back indicators...

Post  Bazz Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:42 pm

Ive used Fairy bottle tops myself Laughing ok until it gets windy Twisted Evil
Yes, i know, then you droop it into a bucket lol!

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:15 pm

lol i've used all manner of things...... my first indicators were some home made monkey climbers that my uncle had made up for me.
i do tend to look at clips in a scientific way lol but thats only because pike are really sensitive to resistance.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Depends on what you mean by sensitive to resistance. I don't think pike are sensitive to resistance per se. It's changes in resistance that they seem to be sensitive to. I've known of pike to happily drag a 4 oz weight around without caring a jot but as soon as the resistance altered (increased or decreased) they instantly reacted to that change so I know what you mean but I think it's how that resistance is felt by the pike that matters.

.....Regards.....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 pm

this is what i mean mate: lets say you're fishing on a free running ledger.....
scenario 1: (this seems to be the case with the fox gates) pike picks up the bait and tightens to the rod, if the clip offers too much resistance then it will move the lead creating (as you quite rightly said) a variation in resistance, the pike feels this change and drops the bait before you have chance to release the gate manually and let the fish run.
the above has happened to me no matter how "light" the gate is set and all you see on the indicator is a drop back followed by nothing.
scenario 2: again, the pike picks up the bait and tightens to the rod....... pulls against a clip that is only just tight enough to hold the tension against the bait while static, as soon as there is the slightest pull the clip releases leaving the pike with minimum resistance to take line and run, leading to a banked pike which otherwise may have dropped the bait.
the above mentioned clip is set so light that even if the pike moves towards you 9 times out of 10 it will dislodge the line from the clip before moving the lead and indicating a dropback..... i used to have some drop off bobbins that behaved exactly as above and never had problems with dropped runs.... matter of fact i think i only had one dropped run per twenty or so fish..... since i switched to the line gates that conversion rate has dropped to as low as one in three which has led to me modifying them with the clips.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 am

^^ That's what you call a thinking piker ^^

Nice post Rob.

.....Regards.....Andy..... Sleep
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 pm

well..... after a few sessions fishing with my original modifications (refer to previous post on this thread) i've decided to try it the "macfarlane" way lol. i'm adding beads to the end of the clips because after that drop back last week i've discovered that the indication is not as smooth and instant as i first thought (myself and tootall actually SAW the line go slack a good 5 seconds before there was even the slightest indication at the drop off).
i'll post some pics in a bit when i've finished the new build.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I find it refreshing when people admit a fault in their tackle and then go about addressing the problem, rather than just banging on about how brilliant their methods are, like they're faultless from the off.
One thing I've just discovered fault in is my experiment with Gemini clips on lure traces. I lost 2 lures yesterday and that's was with a rubber sleeve on the clip. I cannot imagine what it takes (momentary slack perhaps) for the lure to come off but I'll be going back to some form of snap-link.
I had been trying to make super quick-change trace for pike that have been following lures. Normally I'd have 2 lure rods set up so I can throw something different as soon as possible, if I see a pike flowing but not taking. This isn't always possible if you're walking a lot or wading and when you only have one rod, it's handy to be able to change a lure in seconds. I thought I just bout had this sussed. I was sure centrifugal force would keep the lure in the clip but alas, after 2 losses, I'm back to square one again. One loss is an accident. 2 losses is a problem....especially over a single session.
Back to clips for now...hrrumph!

...Andy... Suspect
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 pm

[img]gate/clip on Fox Predator Drop-back indicators... - Page 2 Muddywaterskippaclip[/img]

I have converted my Fox indicators to these, a bit of machining, drilling & tapping was required Very Happy

They are Muddy Waters Kippa clips and they work a treat. The PTFE ones you describe, Andy Mac. are Solar ones, st.steel with PTFE bobbins/beads & a threaded adjuster collar. Planet Carp in Nott'm sell them..

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:26 pm

how did you remove the original gates bazz??? i've had a good go at mine and daren't try any harder for fear of breaking something i dont intend to
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 pm

[img]gate/clip on Fox Predator Drop-back indicators... - Page 2 ModifiedPSMk2[/img]

like this.....saw them off and drill and tap end 3/16" BSF.

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 pm

thats great cheers mate.... i know exactly how to do it properly as soon as i get the cash now!!
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:I find it refreshing when people admit a fault in their tackle and then go about addressing the problem, rather than just banging on about how brilliant their methods are, like they're faultless from the off.

...Andy... Suspect

one thing with me mate..... nothing ever works well enough and i'm always trying to better my methods.
however i will admit that the way i make my traces hasnt changed in over 10 years purely because i've not found a better way to make them.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2