PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the new lynx pike traces

+4
Andy Webster
robh107
big_d2008
stubbo
8 posters

Go down

the new lynx pike traces Empty the new lynx pike traces

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:55 am

Just been looking at the new lynx traces they look very tidy not used them myself but they reckon 100 percnt not strength,no crimps,knotless dont know what hooks there using would have thought they would be a good brand dont know if its going to change fishing for ever though Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

the new lynx pike traces Empty Re: the new lynx pike traces

Post  big_d2008 Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Stubo

I am loving the look of these and really fancy giving them a try but I dont like the price tag that goes with them. I will definatley be getting a couple though. Hopefully they will bring out the seperate component part soon. It says they are no crimp but this isn't true it is the same style crimp we use on high tension electrical cables in the aircraft avionics trade. I dont see it changing fishing forever because a well crimped pike trace should be better than a twisted trace but you try and convince some people that is the case. My great uncle has watched me catch numerous pike on my traces and still he doesnt trust crimps

Big_d
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm

big_d2008 wrote:Stubo

I am loving the look of these and really fancy giving them a try but I dont like the price tag that goes with them. I will definatley be getting a couple though. Hopefully they will bring out the seperate component part soon. It says they are no crimp but this isn't true it is the same style crimp we use on high tension electrical cables in the aircraft avionics trade. I dont see it changing fishing forever because a well crimped pike trace should be better than a twisted trace but you try and convince some people that is the case. My great uncle has watched me catch numerous pike on my traces and still he doesnt trust crimps

Big_d
i will have a look at these myself but i dont have any problems with the ones i make myself i crimp and never had one fail as far as i can remember how much are they pal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:56 pm

i'm just not too trusting of ANY crimps.... i guess i've been twisting my traces for that long i dont trust any other method..... plus i like to keep every part of the rig to the minimum components that i can to reduce weight. definitely wont be trying them Evil or Very Mad
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:54 pm

I had a look at these traces at the PAC convention and the knot strength is very impressive. Despite the blurb it is definitely still a crimp but the pressure is spread evenly along the crimp. The hooks are modified / specially made with a hollow shank that takes the wire. I doubt the hooks will be branded types at the start but maybe they will go that way over time. You will also be able to get ready made rigs for all types of coarse and sea fishing with nylon and wire but not braid. Because the hook strength is much better than a knot you will be able to use finer nylon for coarse fishing which will be an advantage to the match anglers. On the other hand the hooks look a bit clunky because the shank needs to be wider to accommodate the line.

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:21 am

Andy Webster wrote:I had a look at these traces at the PAC convention and the knot strength is very impressive. Despite the blurb it is definitely still a crimp but the pressure is spread evenly along the crimp. The hooks are modified / specially made with a hollow shank that takes the wire. I doubt the hooks will be branded types at the start but maybe they will go that way over time. You will also be able to get ready made rigs for all types of coarse and sea fishing with nylon and wire but not braid. Because the hook strength is much better than a knot you will be able to use finer nylon for coarse fishing which will be an advantage to the match anglers. On the other hand the hooks look a bit clunky because the shank needs to be wider to accommodate the line.

Andy Webster
wish i thought of it andy think it will take off with the match guys... Smile
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 am

another thing that bothers me about them is this... will the hooks be re-tieable? if not then it could be an expensive affair every time you get a kinked trace because you'd have to bin the kinked trace and buy a full new trace instead of just re-tying the wire.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Yea that is my bug bear with them. The trace is gonna be an expensive hobby. I tend to use a new trace every other fish unless it gets kinked. At least i can sharpen and re-uses my hooks you definately wont be able to do this even when they start selling the componet parts as no matter what they say this is a crimp and always will be. The only real problem with crimps is the incorrect use of them ie wrong size for the wrong diameter wire and an over crimped crimp is as bad an under crimped one. What needsto be made is a precision crimping which is set at the correct amont of compression and no more but wont unlock until you have gone to its full extent
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Switch to Ti and say goodbye to kinked traces for ever.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:41 pm

not really a fan of ready made traces but i will have a look at them i think anybody starting out piking and not confident in making there own should have a look at these
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Switch to Ti and say goodbye to kinked traces for ever.

What is Ti or am I just being a numpty?
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:25 pm

big_d2008 wrote:
Eric Edwards wrote:Switch to Ti and say goodbye to kinked traces for ever.

What is Ti or am I just being a numpty?

Titanium
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Titanium doesn't kink no matter how many pike you catch on it. I've been using the same few traces now for three seasons - and I catch a lot of pike. It has to be crimped, twisting doesn't work because the metal just untwists itself straight away, and there's a right way and a wrong way to crimp it.
It's quite unlike steel and you need to take some time with it to get to learn how to use it but once you've switched, you won't go back.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Titanium doesn't kink no matter how many pike you catch on it. I've been using the same few traces now for three seasons - and I catch a lot of pike. It has to be crimped, twisting doesn't work because the metal just untwists itself straight away, and there's a right way and a wrong way to crimp it.
It's quite unlike steel and you need to take some time with it to get to learn how to use it but once you've switched, you won't go back.
purchased a spool early on in the year really good stuff a bit pricey but they last. Had a few problem getting the material through the crimps but impressed with it... Smile
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:34 pm

I tried to get some of these today to try but no one has in stock.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Try these mate Very Happy Very Happy

>> Link
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for that. Most of the items were out of stock but I did order two Titanium Jerkbait Trace so will tried them to see if they are any good.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Titanium doesn't kink no matter how many pike you catch on it. I've been using the same few traces now for three seasons - and I catch a lot of pike. It has to be crimped, twisting doesn't work because the metal just untwists itself straight away, and there's a right way and a wrong way to crimp it.

cheers eric i might give it a try next time i run out of my current trace wire just purely for the kink resistant properties...... still not keen on the idea of crimps though.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down