PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

will the spawn be over

5 posters

Go down

will the spawn be over  Empty will the spawn be over

Post  silkmen Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:51 pm

hi guys do you think the spawning will be over now and how long do you think they should be left alone before having a go a catching them again
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

will the spawn be over  Empty Re: will the spawn be over

Post  S Pike Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi mate, dont know about the spawning being over, it has been warm, so who knows, personally, I dont even think of trying for a Pike by any method until at least Late July / August, when they are activley hunting and recovering and gaining weight again.... summer Pike are very active and fight like stink...I may even break out the fly gear and try for one on the fly, that will be a first for me.

Spike.
S Pike
S Pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 am

Hey pike are fishing good at wigan i went yesterday got 3 in 5 hours went at half 11 came home alf4 1 at 8lb 1 at 20lb 4oz and 1 at 4lb
will the spawn be over  Pikech10
will the spawn be over  Pikeha11

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Bull3t wrote:Hey pike are fishing good at wigan i went yesterday got 3 in 5 hours went at half 11 came home alf4 1 at 8lb 1 at 20lb 4oz and 1 at 4lb
will the spawn be over  Pikech10
will the spawn be over  Pikeha11
any pics of the the 20lb 4 oz fish bull3t
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:12 pm

imo the fish will not feed when in spawning mood (would you stop for a snack???) so anytime should be ok and i reckon they will have finished now anyhow.
be aware tho that they may be ravenous and swallow baits quickly, and also they will need to be nursed a bit to ensure they have recovered before letting them go. hold onto them right way up until they struggle free,, cool hands are better than a belly up fish out of range. gonna start myself next weekend i think and hopefully catch a few skinny buggars  Cool 
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  memacca Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Good advice there rozzo, out myself this Sunday, only thing is the lake is river fed so hoping all this rain doesn't balls my plan up..... Crying or Very sad 
memacca
memacca

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 pm

rozzo wrote:imo the fish will not feed when in spawning mood (would you stop for a snack???) so anytime should be ok and i reckon they will have finished now anyhow.
be aware tho that they may be ravenous and swallow baits quickly, and also they will need to be nursed a bit to ensure they have recovered before letting them go.  hold onto them right way up until they struggle free,, cool hands are better than a belly up fish out of range.  gonna start myself next weekend i think and hopefully catch a few skinny buggars  Cool 
was thinking the same rozzo.
I was more wondering weather they needed a break from being caught after a spawn and the last thing I want is a belly up fish
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  memacca Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Pikers that fish all year round usually leave it till may normally Jake, but that said if your acquainted with the venues you fish then you'll have an idea or have seen signs of spawning and an idea when its over. Like rozzo mentioned, if their spawning then they'll not be feeding so go when you want mate.....
memacca
memacca

Back to top Go down

will the spawn be over  Empty Spawn

Post  piketastic Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm

We had 11 pike last week , in just a few hours. 6 rods between 3 of us ... The majority of pike came on the same rod. All the pike were under 10 pounds. Until the last one that Darren had, it was a female around 12 pound. Spawn was pouring out of it.. So it just seemed right to pack in at that point.
We thought they would have finished spawning by mid April , gonna give it another week or so now.... I tend to pike fish all year round these days because of losing endless weeks due to the harsh winters that we are now usually getting. Although up here , it was not bad compared to the flooding further south this winter. .

So Jake, to answer your question pal...... In some waters.... They are still at it !  Very Happy 
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  memacca Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Good result piketastic and Bull3t. This time last year I had same ammount on two rods piketastic,  yet this year their still spawning. Was out this morning and had two, biggest 8lb.  Still at it in the margins so packed up.  Thought they would of finished by now giving that they were thrashing about all over the lake a month ago.  That's fishing eh.....
memacca
memacca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down