PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water wolf christmas prezzy

+15
mwillis551
JonahJones
Norwester
Idlepiker
fatcaff
lowdouble
petestanley
Dave-Newman
adie1200
tomthepiker
welsh piker
Ash morton
psion
matt859
stubbo
19 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

water wolf  christmas prezzy - Page 7 Empty Re: water wolf christmas prezzy

Post  lowdouble Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:16 pm

WOW!!! Them Perch are Bold Whoooers as we say in Cavan lol Great footage mate. Thanks Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JonahJones Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:50 pm

Here is part one of my Water Wolf video.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123580250@N05/16526501895/

I hope the link works, I am also going to try and sort something out on You Tube.

Jonah

JonahJones

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123580250@N05/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:52 am

JonahJones wrote:Here is part one of my Water Wolf video.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123580250@N05/16526501895/

I hope the link works, I am also going to try and sort something out on You Tube.

Jonah
well done pal Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:50 pm

great vid, but straight away that pike thought something was wrong IMO due to the fact it moved the lake bed to check it by blowing at it...

brilliant thing for analyzing your setup on the lake bed and seeing how weary a pike can actually be..

but what would you do differently to make that pike take it?? is there anything you can do??

mind boggles Very Happy
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  JonahJones Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:52 pm

Good evening Gents

Here is part two of my video.

The Pike returns after a few minutes and repeats the "blowing" and stirring up of the bottom before finally taking the bait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDckOYaaak

JonahJones

Back to top Go down

Post  JonahJones Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Dave

The Lamprey is a "dense" bait and does sit hard on the bottom.

I am going to try and present a more neutral buoyant bait next time if you get my drift.

Some pike back off a "popped up" bait, sometimes you just can't win.

JonahJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:23 am

JonahJones wrote:Dave

The Lamprey is a "dense" bait and does sit hard on the bottom.

i know.......
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:24 am

JonahJones wrote:Dave
Some pike back off a "popped up" bait, sometimes you just can't win.  

seen that on stubbos
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:02 am

Great footage once again. I've seen this blowing lots of times now, and I already knew it went on. We need to work out why the pike do it, it's all too easy to jump to conclusions. I've got three possible ideas, I'd love to hear if there are others that I haven't thought about:

1. The pike is wary of the bait because it has been caught before and is testing to see if it is tethered.
2. The pike is trying to lift the bait off the bottom by blowing it so that it doesn't get a mouthful of silt when it takes it.
3. The pike wants to see if the bait is still alive and is blowing to get it to move.

Any other ideas?
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 am

Eric Edwards wrote:Great footage once again. I've seen this blowing lots of times now, and I already knew it went on. We need to work out why the pike do it, it's all too easy to jump to conclusions. I've got three possible ideas, I'd love to hear if there are others that I haven't thought about:

1. The pike is wary of the bait because it has been caught before and is testing to see if it is tethered.
2. The pike is trying to lift the bait off the bottom by blowing it so that it doesn't get a mouthful of silt when it takes it.
3. The pike wants to see if the bait is still alive and is blowing to get it to move.

Any other ideas?

1. agree, that springs to my mind
2. cant see that actually bothering them
3. agree again, if it moved, this could prompt an immediate take, or the fact if they realise its dead, they could come back later for it??

what other reasons would there be for blowing it?

maybe, them blowing it / moving it would produce more scent off the bait in the water and with them smelling this would know if its an old bait or relativity fresh??? (may sound silly......)

thoughts?
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  petestanley Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:49 am

Eric Edwards wrote:Great footage once again. I've seen this blowing lots of times now, and I already knew it went on. We need to work out why the pike do it, it's all too easy to jump to conclusions. I've got three possible ideas, I'd love to hear if there are others that I haven't thought about:

Any other ideas?

My initial thoughts were maybe they can 'taste' us. maybe through sweat through our hands, tobacco if anyone smokes, anything that makes them wary of a previous capture. Obviously, by wearing gloves you might see a difference, and maybe trying to mask the smell by rubbing oil on the outside of the bait.
The blowing to get them moving idea is interesting. depending on how often you see pike in your swim, maybe the best option to see if this works is to move your bait much more regularly, almost twitch it back every minute rather than wait an extended time. this might bring results.
I'm have an idea that presenting your bait horizontally rather than vertically if its fished mid water might trick one or two into thinking your baits just a lazy fish and they might take it first time rather than inspect it. I'm going to try this in the coming sessions. Not had chance to get out for a bit.Evil or Very Mad
petestanley
petestanley

http://www.northernpiker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JonahJones Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Pete raises an interesting point as regards "Tasting" us, I think it's more like "smelling" us.  My boat partner and I both came from a Match Fishing background and have always rubbed our hands in soil, or run them through any grass nearby before a match.

Why?  Because one night many, many years ago at a presentation evening, Ivan Marks told us to Laughing  Ha Ha!!

Back to the Piking, I noticed the Pike in my video (part 2) briefly did the "chewing" action that was evident in Stubbo's videos.  My bait wasn't injected with any oils or additives, in fact it was an old Lucebait pack I found at the back of my freezer.

The blowing is a mystery, but it could be as simple as their version of prodding it with a stick ??

All good fun to get us thinking.

I hope to get some new footage again soon, but work is busy and they will be heading for the shallows soon for the silly season.

Regards

Jonah

JonahJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:36 am

Dave-Newman wrote:

Any other ideas?

1. agree, that springs to my mind
2. cant see that actually bothering them
3. agree again, if it moved, this could prompt an immediate take, or the fact if they realise its dead, they could come back later for it??

what other reasons would there be for blowing it?

maybe, them blowing it / moving it would produce more scent off the bait in the water and with them smelling this would know if its an old bait or relativity fresh??? (may sound silly......)

thoughts?

Doesn't sound silly to me, it's another line of thought. Many people put their faith in ultra fresh baits but I have to say, I've been "done" several times by mates who were using baits that turned my stomach they were so smelly.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  mal wynne Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm

I know what you mean with "fresh " baits I,ve had a couple of pike on baits that are far from fresh , also I,ve had many codling on peeler thats been in and out the freezer a few times and is stinking

mal wynne

Back to top Go down

water wolf  christmas prezzy - Page 7 Empty more films

Post  stubbo Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 pm

hopefully will try to get out with the camera this weekend for a few hours

been out shooting for the last 5 weekends and training the dog to retrieve , missed the fishing but needed to get the hound on the birds Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:26 am

Got myself one of these cameras today for my Birthday prezzie Very Happy Expect to be bombarded with pictures of lures being engulfed fairly soon lol. Or blanking anywat Very Happy I will be badgering you for tips and hints Stubbo Smile
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:53 pm

This looks a good tool. It interests me from the point of view of 'surveying' waters to find out if they actually contain fish. I'll explain.. I used to fish for Tench and Crucian Carp in two small farm ponds as a boy, my parents knew the farmers that had the ponds. I approached one of the farms a couple of years ago, the farmer I knew as a child had long retired and sold the farm on BUT the current farmer was intrigued. He was surprised I had approached him. He told me that nobody had fished the pond since he had bought the farm, no interest at all. I explained about my childhood fishing there. He was surprised that fish were in there! I went down with one of these £100 'fish-finders'. I cast the drogue out with my 9' spinning rod, in various places.. It showed the contours on the bottom and approximate depth but no signs of any fish or anything moving? I went down on the following weekend, it was late May Whitsuntide holiday Monday, I remember. Not a bite or a sniff, I've not been back. The other pond I mentioned is now a concrete "slurry pit"!

I went Piking on a boat on Rutland water with the late Andrew Cooper, Ash Morton and Notts PAC in October last year. Andrew had a high end fish finder but it was semi-permanently fixed to the transom on his and Ivan Cooke's boat so I took my £100 one. It showed the depths of Rutland, sometimes over 50 feet deep. I told Andrew about my pond adventure and he told me that fish finders were more useful for finding depth and contours but not totally dependable for finding actual fish.. I presume they are alerted when something moves below them?

One of these camera's, to me, is far better for finding the fish Smile

Last edited by Bazz on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 am

Its just another piece in the puzzle Bazz. We as anglers always want to get closer to our catch and think we can outsmart them lol. The little pond could have been really polluted at some time Sad
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 am

lowdouble wrote:Its just another piece in the puzzle Bazz.  We as anglers always want to get closer to our catch and think we can outsmart them lol.  The little pond could have been really polluted at some time Sad

That's quite possible, it was and still is a dairy farm. Farmers always have effluent slurry fro winter cow sheds to dispose of, it gets sprayed on the fields as fertiliser but who knows, a tanker full or more could have been dumped in the pond!

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Trotted the Water wolf down the local river. Surprise!!! stuffed with Roach Very Happy

lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:55 pm

lowdouble wrote:Got myself one of these cameras today for my Birthday prezzie Very Happy   Expect to be bombarded with pictures of lures being engulfed fairly soon lol.  Or blanking anywat Very Happy   I will be badgering you for tips and hints Stubbo Smile
no problem pal happy to help

will be filming the bass shortly attacking my live sandeels when it warms up a bit Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 am

Just watched 2hrs footage on the Waterwolf camera of a Savage Gear albino trout and a 10" rattle trout doing absolutely nothing but swim lol. I always imagined Pike inspected trolled baits all the time but just didnt strike. Apparently not Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:14 pm

lowdouble wrote:Just watched 2hrs footage on the Waterwolf camera of a Savage Gear albino trout and a 10" rattle trout doing absolutely nothing but swim lol.  I always imagined Pike inspected trolled baits all the time but just didnt strike.  Apparently not Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
they do pal
have you tried a dead bait on the bottom or a livy under a float

as you have seen on my vids ....they are always having a look see ,
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:55 am

Only been out the once Stubbo. Soon I will be back on my chosen waters that are clear as Gin. Trolling for trout in the upper layers too so that should be interesting. Live baits in Ireland??? what are you sugesting lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Wink
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:33 am

Here you go Stubbo. 15lb of beauty lol. Had 4 on the lures all on camera, this one tailwalked twice too. Very Happy

lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next