PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Deadbait do you reach for first?

+13
Mick Cobb
stubbo
paddy pike
Steve French
Alex Makk
deadbait
benacre
Pikey_Mike
noodle
Lefty
MAD BAD ANGLER
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Webster
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Deadbait do you reach for first? Empty What Deadbait do you reach for first?

Post  Andy Webster Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm

Soon be time to dust off the winter clothing and soak the deadbaits.

For me, you can't beat smelt.

By far my most sucessful deadbait.

What about you...?
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

What Deadbait do you reach for first? Empty Re: What Deadbait do you reach for first?

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Brown Trout, laced liberally with salmon oil or aniseed oil every time but smelt and lamprey come very close behind.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

What Deadbait do you reach for first? Empty Re: What Deadbait do you reach for first?

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:35 pm

well for me guys i also would go straight for a smelt, but i would also pick up a sardine for the other rod. i know they don't cast well when thawed out, but they are a great bait, and i have no worries about dropping one in the margin. they are really oily and if you watch the are you cast too you will see oil on the surface as they start to thaw.
Having said that, i have found that on rivers and canals eel section is very hard to beat. MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:48 pm

Well, earlier this year I was in Doncaster fish market and decided to give sprats a go. I noticed that they resembled roach to a certain extent so thought I would buy some. As they were sold by the kilo I asked for just that.

When I got home and counted them, there were 84 in the bag (if I remember correctly).

As I don't get to the bank half as often as I want to, I still got a fair few left. This is despite my mate Gav using them as well.

So, to sum up, I use sprats as my main bait. Until I've used 'em up Very Happy
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:42 pm

And have you caught on them Lefty? Very Happy
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Every pike caught this year, matey.

Nothing big though.

Had 4 from one swim in 20minutes in one session on the Torne, that was mad Very Happy

Biggest pike I've had from the Torne was approx 9lb and that was on a sprat. I understand they used to be a popular bait but went out of fashion. Maybe that's why they seem to work for me, due to nobody else using them.

You may well have noticed that all my qouted weights are approximations. That's because I don't have any weighing scales. My mate Gav, who comes fishing with me, does own a set but always seems to forget them Crying or Very sad
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:42 pm

1st choice sardine
then sardine
then sardine

i suppose id have to say mackeral as well as lamprey though but sardines need to be with me, plus they are nice on toast with a little cracked black pepper
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Sprats...yea...yea they're good wee baits. I forgot all about them. I guess they kind of got left behind but I used to use them regularly and I've had some proper fish on them too. The biggest I think was about 17-18lb. I think I'll start using them again.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Sprats are a great bait, had my 2 best pike on them (23lb 8oz and 21lb 8oz).
I find eel to be a cracking bait too.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  benacre Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:05 pm

My secret River Waveney Deadbait. It works everytime.
benacre
benacre

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:20 pm

sardine for me every time killer bait Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:47 pm

owt thats in the box, not that fussed, had on lamprey, had takes with joey, had 1 take with a sardiene,

Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Smelt and Lamprey for me, saying that the biggest fish this year was caught on a Mackeral head, I wouldnt have used it, and argued for some time with my boat partner who had selected it for me, just finished cursing him when the float went Embarassed Embarassed

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Steve French wrote:Smelt and Lamprey for me, saying that the biggest fish this year was caught on a Mackeral head, I wouldnt have used it, and argued for some time with my boat partner who had selected it for me, just finished cursing him when the float went Embarassed Embarassed
Hahahaha thats just how it happens Steve, Then you cant stop praising them haha

My favourite bait really depends on where i am fishing, But as the all rounder i would plump for brown trout then bream then smelt, But have had best all round results on brown trout
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Soon be time to dust off the winter clothing and soak the deadbaits.

What about you...?
trout then smelt .... but today it never worked tried a new local venue seen a picture of a good pike caught there
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Cobb Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Never have a favourite deadbait.. conditions location, presentation determines your bait choice,not because you've had a PB or other big fish on a bait..if you don't try you will not know other baits catching potential, and you will gain confidence in using other baits..
Most work equally well as each other, but it's when and where and presentation of the choice of bait that makes the difference Smile

Mick Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:09 pm

sardine or roach as a tester, one or other usually works Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Forgot to say that on the treble hooks that are not stuck into the dead bait i somtimes hook on crayfish tails, Had some good results doing this,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:04 am

Sardine is one bait I almost never catch on. In fact, out of the kilos and kilos of the things I've tried (cos they're big and cheap), I've only caught on them a handful of times. Dunno why either when sprat, herring and mackerel does the business. I'll probably never buy sardines again, except to eat myself.

Maybe using the ones in tins was the problem. Do pike know how to use a can-opener?
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Sardine is one bait I almost never catch on. In fact, out of the kilos and kilos of the things I've tried (cos they're big and cheap), I've only caught on them a handful of times. Dunno why either when sprat, herring and mackerel does the business. I'll probably never buy sardines again, except to eat myself.

Maybe using the ones in tins was the problem. Do pike know how to use a can-opener?

lol andy i dont understand how you've not caught on sardines.... they're one of my first choices Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Edbeef Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Im a mackerel tail kinda guy...

sardines follow that and herring have done me a good fish but I really need to have confidence when I use them because they're just so damn big!
Edbeef
Edbeef

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:13 pm

robh107 wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:Sardine is one bait I almost never catch on. In fact, out of the kilos and kilos of the things I've tried (cos they're big and cheap), I've only caught on them a handful of times. Dunno why either when sprat, herring and mackerel does the business. I'll probably never buy sardines again, except to eat myself.

lol andy i dont understand how you've not caught on sardines.... they're one of my first choices Very Happy
I have used the big sardines but i can honestly say i have only ever caught once in the local waters with them, So i dont rate them, Yet as Andy said about Sprat Herring and Mackerel, They must be the top ones for the bigger waters we use like the res at Anglezarke
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:31 pm

same hear mate dont think ive caught on sardines when used close in the margins cheap baits though Cool
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 pm

It does seem odd. They have everything going for them it seems but the catch-rate tells me all I need to know. For me, they just aren't as good as other baits.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Soon be time to dust off the winter clothing and soak the deadbaits.

What about you...?

trout
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next