PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW SUIT 1 OR 2 PIECE

+6
Lefty
nickcarpy
kell
Chumley Warner
jimmy
MAD BAD ANGLER
10 posters

Go down

NEW SUIT 1 OR 2 PIECE Empty NEW SUIT 1 OR 2 PIECE

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:06 pm

hi guys. wanted some opinions on what you all think is the best type of suit for pike fishing. i'm in the market for a new one, and over the last 2 years i have been using a one piece suit with no real probs, but just wondered what other people though was best, 1 piece or bib brace and jacket?
my 1 piece has been good, but the lower half is now very worn, with holes in it so have to replace the lot. my main concern about a 2 piece set is getting a draft round the middle bits Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

NEW SUIT 1 OR 2 PIECE Empty Re: NEW SUIT 1 OR 2 PIECE

Post  jimmy Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:09 pm

i use the sundrige iq , its bib n brace with jacket ,its waterproof and breathable done me well the last couple of years and not too expensive, well recommended cheers
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumley Warner Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:32 pm

My mate uses these trousers: http://www.coppullanglers.co.uk/clothes/pro-logic-max-4-bib-and-b.shtml

and the ProLogic Thermo Armour Pro jacket and I have to say that although they are a bit pricey they are the dogs. Warm as you like and 100% waterproof.

If I could afford it Id have a set Sad
Chumley Warner
Chumley Warner

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:06 pm

one piece sundridge artic awe some Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:56 pm

2 piece trakker armo is brill,but fancy the bib an brace version.if its better than 2 piece it will be super dogs danglers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Personally I would go for 2 piece as you can do your toilet duties much easier Very Happy
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:04 am

You and your 'toilet duties', Lefty! Razz lol! lol!

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:41 am

When a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.................................
lol! lol! lol!
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Could be even worse......if you are a woman! cheers lol! lol! lol!

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:03 am

two piece they are far more flexible

mind you i still wear wax and ok goretex pants dont like sweaty thingys
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:41 pm

i agree with noodle, i used to have a single piece (freezer suit) and, although it kept me warm as toast, it really was constrictive..............not to mention the hassle when you wanna have a leak....... Laughing
You should look into the "freezer suit" thing. They are used in the cold storage industry by guys who spend a lot of time working in the freezer rooms and can be bought in both two and single piece versions..........

See the link below - there are obviously plenty of variations and am sure there would be more "local" suppliers available as well..........
http://www.polarwear.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Which suit did you get Gaz?

Andy
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Before I went and bought an expensive outfit, I'd definitely go and look in an Army/Navy Surplus store. It's amazing the stuff you can pick up for next to nothing. If it's good enough for Siberia it's definitely good enough for our little island.

That said, I tend to wear lots of layers of mixed materials. Long Johns, tracksuit bottoms, denims, wader, 2 long-sleeve T-shirts, 2 jumpers, a body warmer, fishing jacket, scarf, Thinsulate hat/balaclava, wooly gloves (always take spares), 2 pair of socks....pile it on. Mixed fibres is the key though. If it's good enough to survive the Highlands, it's good enough for you softies...lol... Smile

Last time I went into one, they were selling Army 'Trangia' stoves for 8 quid!! The best stoves money can buy and they work better with increasing wind speed, which is something few stoves can claim to. I'd tell anyone to go with Trangias before any other kind of cooking device. Easy to clean, easy to use and sooo cheap to run. A capful of methylated spirits is enough to boil a pan of water. talking buttons really. What's a bottle of meths these days?? A quid from the pound shop?

...Andy...
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:20 pm

got my new suit. got a prologic 2 piece float suit. very thick and warm plus it acts like a flotation suit as i intend to do some boat fishing will be handy, best of all got it 1/2 price Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:22 pm

anything in a "1/2 price" size is a good buy mate...................... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Ah well, if it acts as a flotation suit, that's an entirely different prospect, in which case, surplus Army gear won't do, unless you're right into drowning....lol

Half price and floaty to boot. Well in chief. By the way, what was the price, if you don't mind me asking?

...Andy...
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:50 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:I'd definitely go and look in an Army/Navy Surplus store. It's amazing the stuff you can pick up for next to nothing. If it's good enough for Siberia it's definitely good enough for our little island.

That said, I tend to wear lots of layers of mixed materials. Long Johns, tracksuit bottoms, denims, wader, 2 long-sleeve T-shirts, 2 jumpers, a body warmer, fishing jacket, scarf, Thinsulate hat/balaclava, wooly gloves (always take spares), 2 pair of socks....pile it on. Mixed fibres is the key though.

Me and thee think alike Andy Very Happy

I wear multiple layers of ex army surplus too. Norgie top, army jumper, fleece pullover with high zip up neck (£5 from Primark), army fleece (new generation type with zippy neck), army goretex jacket. On my lower half I have long johns and windproof, breathable, waterproof ski trousers with built in gaiters to stop draughts up the leg (£10 from Matalan at end of last Winter). I also have a 2 piece quilted suit that fits under the outer most layer (army ECWS system) when winter arrives properly.
Boots are Regatta waterproof hiking boots (£15 Matalan at same time as ski trousers).
I wear a TFG fleece hat (warmest I've worn) when the weather gets properly cold or just a beenie hat at the moment. 2 pairs of socks (one is wool) and then to finish off a pair of gloves.

I am wanting to get some new gloves this winter as my neoprene ones seem to have gone missing since I last used them Mad

Can anybody recommend a pair? Preferably breathable as the neoprene ones made my hands sweat too much. Nice and toasty but no good when you need to take off the gloves as they VERY quickly go cold what with being damp.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:44 pm

managed to get it for £70, also got 200yds of 20lb fox braid for £15 another bargin Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:35 pm

£70 quid. That's alright if it saves your life.

Lefty, I bought 2 pairs of thick Thinsulate gloves. The mutt's nuts mate and you don't sweat like a rapist.

Word of warning though. I tried cranking a very decent looking 20+ (possibly a PB...was quite big) one day and I decided halfway through the ensuing battle that the gloves were getting in the way AND I chin all my fish so they had to come off. While footering around, the fish managed to snag the upper treble on a submerged tree stump, so the fish was basically tethered by 4" of wire and my line was locked up solid. Not a good scene. I tried shaking and wiggling and bouncing the rod to no avail and the line eventually parted, leaving the fish idling beside the tree, still tethered.
I was looking wading out the fish but after a short rest, the fish threw a fit and managed to bust the treble!!
A mate of mine appeared in a boat later and retrieved my traces for inspection. The pike had snapped a VMC size 4 like a twig.

Now I try to remember that the gloves have to come off when I get a run, no matter how cold it is.

Bummer....might have been a PB...who knows?

...Andy...
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 pm

wore the suit today for the first time....top marks Very Happy Very Happy very,very warm, and totally dry in fact may be a bit too warm Laughing Laughing Laughing
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down