PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seasonal waters ?

4 posters

Go down

seasonal waters ? Empty seasonal waters ?

Post  essox_lucius1 Sun May 16, 2010 8:25 pm

i fish a lake glacial that only fishes in the warmer months and does nowt during the winter has anyone fished waters of same ilk ?
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

seasonal waters ? Empty Re: seasonal waters ?

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun May 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Welcome to Scotland....lol

Seriously, that's how it is up here.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Most waters North of Windermere are just like that, Fished a lot of Lochs and river in Scotland, And i think Andy would agree, They can be more than just hard work, Drove me mad at times haha
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

seasonal waters ? Empty seasonal

Post  essox_lucius1 Sun May 16, 2010 9:56 pm

why cant them scots pike make it easy for us lol
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sun May 16, 2010 10:02 pm

essox_lucius1 wrote:why cant them scots pike make it easy for us lol
I know, And i remember fishing Loch Ken in the 70s, And waiting 3 days to catch anything, Mind you i went at the wrong time of year, Ill equiped, And the best pike of the 4 i caught was 28Lb, So i was happy for a little while, Had to dry my clothes every night as well, Wet proofs are a hundred times better now though haha
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon May 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Joking aside, I don't know mate. they get caught in Siberia and North America, Canada etc. from under the ice, so you'd think they'd make a more regular appearance in somewhere a little warmer.

Perhaps it's got something to do with the photoperiod. Remember, some of these really Northern countries have months of continuous daylight/nighttime.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  essox_lucius1 Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:

Joking aside, I don't know mate. they get caught in Siberia and North America, Canada etc. from under the ice, so you'd think they'd make a more regular appearance in somewhere a little warmer.

Perhaps it's got something to do with the photoperiod. Remember, some of these really Northern countries have months of continuous daylight/nighttime.
so i have it sussed then when i win the lottery im building a retractable roof over some lochs interesting point you may have something
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue May 18, 2010 1:47 pm

I was trying to remember a term ('torpor re´tinae' it turns out) and found a post I made a few years back on this very subject...

"I think photoperiod might also have an effect on how mobile pike are. Naturally pike won't spawn until the temperature of the water they lay their eggs in is suitable enough to keep them alive but as the length of daylight increases, temperature or not, that is a sign that spring is on the way and so, their habits like feeding, investigating possible spawning grounds, feeding etc. will all vary.
I know pike don't hibernate as such but they certainly go into a state of torpor or lethargy, which is thought to be light related. In fact there is a condition known as 'torpor re´tinae', which is sluggishness brought on by a lack of light in the retina, so theoretically, as the length of daylight hours increase, the state of torpor should decrease."
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun May 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:I was trying to remember a term ('torpor re´tinae' it turns out) and found a post I made a few years back on this very subject...

"I think photoperiod might also have an effect on how mobile pike are. Naturally pike won't spawn until the temperature of the water they lay their eggs in is suitable enough to keep them alive but as the length of daylight increases, temperature or not, that is a sign that spring is on the way and so, their habits like feeding, investigating possible spawning grounds, feeding etc. will all vary.
I know pike don't hibernate as such but they certainly go into a state of torpor or lethargy, which is thought to be light related. In fact there is a condition known as 'torpor re´tinae', which is sluggishness brought on by a lack of light in the retina, so theoretically, as the length of daylight hours increase, the state of torpor should decrease."
my missis says i have got that condition too What a Face
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Mon May 24, 2010 1:00 pm

stubbo wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:I was trying to remember a term ('torpor re´tinae' it turns out) and found a post I made a few years back on this very subject...

my missis says i have got that condition too What a Face
Very Happy Me to stubbo, Very Happy But i find what Andy has said realy interesting, As i have known about this with the pike, But never knew what it was called, "torpor re´tinae" This is why all the Pike get coverd with Leeches at certain times of the year, Top Marks Andy Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 pm

they will probably still feed in this state but not very often...caught afew pike when the lake was thawing out they were covered in leeches probably been static on the bottom for a while
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down