PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody Catching???

+37
piketastic
steve.w
edbeartwo
plantsbrook
hurricane
fatcaff
greg
Phil Blakey
jimlad
Roly
marshman
dickjacksmith
Eric Edwards
pike hunter returns
plumb68
Bazz
Steve French
Andy Webster
craigpix2000
esoxjeff
JAYZEE28
Edbeef
noodle
Andy Macfarlane
Nashr
stubbo
kell
tootall
MAD BAD ANGLER
adie1200
nickcarpy
tackle tart
Alex Makk
Lefty
deadbait
paddy pike
gavin1928
41 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 Empty Re: Anybody Catching???

Post  Alex Makk Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:45 pm

fatcaff wrote:Had 3 out to 8lb yesterday whilst spinning for perch only managed small perch all day.

well done, certainly beats blanking.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  petestanley Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Went out for two 2 hour sessions yesterday on surface lures. The first session ended in frustration when after about 20 hits on the mouse lure I was using, I didn't land a single fish. The second session, borne out of much whinging and stomping around the house whilst the missus was trying to catch up on corrie, ended much better with a fish just shy of 15lb and a jack of about 4lb on a weedless frog. The fish all day were verging on suicidal, some completely exiting the water like Exocet missiles. I probably had 30 takes and only managed to bank 2, but this is the fourth visit to this water and at least now I've bank something of size. If I can get the fish banked to takes ratio up, I'll be onto a winner.
petestanley
petestanley

http://www.northernpiker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Went out today only managed 3 small jacks all less than 1lb and this perch all caught on my home made spinners.
Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 Img_0110
The spinners that done the damage.
Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 Img_0113
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  steve.w Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Nice one mate,after your 24lber PB its back to reality with 3 micro pike Laughing ,nice perch though.
steve.w
steve.w

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:52 pm

steve.w wrote:Nice one mate,after your 24lber PB its back to reality with 3 micro pike Laughing ,nice perch though.
 Very Happy 
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:13 am

Me and Ian spent a couple hours yesterday discovering a new part of the R.Trent that belonged to a club we'd recently joined.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 10410090_514822591977415_3960252928620072183_n

I myself used these minnows that landed in the postbox last week after being sprayed by Mark Houghton. Over the weekend I had been glued to youtube watching many videos of our American counterparts ''jerkbait'' fishing, I was particularly interested in the retrieves they were using when fishing minnows/slashbaits as such, so that it'd give me a good idea on how to go about it.

At first when we started fishing, I had a small perch follow the spinnerbait I had started off on and as we moved a few swims downstream/upstream? I swapped to the 'baitfish' pattern minnow (top right) and after 2nd cast I hooked into a small perch. Happy to see that whatever I was doing worked, I carried on using the minnow. Ian shortly had a jack inhale his soft 4play just before the heavy showers came.

About 10/15 minutes later just as the rain began to get a little heavy this perch nailed the 'baitfish' minnow!

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 2lb+perch+edited

After the unhooking, picture and release we both took shelter from the heavy downpour under a couple of trees before deciding that we'd call it a day.

Last edited by Alex Makk on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Well done m8 a cracking perch there.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  steve.w Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Nice one Alex,I'm very envious of your lure collection Smile .
steve.w
steve.w

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Ta chaps,

steve.w wrote: Nice one Alex,I'm very envious of your lure collection Smile .

haha,

I've built my somewhat moderate collection of bait over the past few years, I bet you there are chaps out there that put my collection of baits to shame.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 am

Also in the blog - http://www.alexmakkfishing.com

Me and Ian fished this part of the R.Trent again back on Sunday and we certainly had a good days worth too. Off the top of my head I believe Ian had three fish which consisted of two pike and a perch caught using on of my sinking minnows. whereas I have about five fish with 4 being perch the biggest around a 1.2lb and the last being a pike of a couple lbs (the first pike on my minnows).

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2213_zps3261ad4a

Perch of 1.2lb

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2214_zps4852bdcd

Ian Jack of a few lbs

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2217_zpsedbb3763

The gold green Mackerel was the bait of the day, all the fish that I caught was on this minnow

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2221_zps5324beda

When I flicked the minnow along the margins I had a small shoal of perch following and attacking the minnow, then this slightly larger one bursts out from the depths and gobbles it!

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2222_zps91a65240

The biggest fish of the day falls to Ian with this stunning yet thin pike of 9lb, I myself was more awed by the size of its head, probably when it gains more weight it could certainly be a double.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2227_zps8ff143d3

The last fish caught, we have a feeling that this young pike was the one that struck for Ian's bait a couple of times and missed. After about 10 minutes of us two trying to tempt it, it bursts out from the margins from under where I was stood and came to see the minnow I was using, a few gentle taps of the rod was all that was needed to get the young pike to nail my minnow.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  steve.w Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 am

Great stuff Alex,good report and pics.as always.
steve.w
steve.w

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Also in the blog, www.alexmakkfishing.com

I had another few hours yesterday evening spent fishing the R.Trent with Ian. I myself was using the minnows/slashbait yet again with a few nice results. The tally for that session was 5 fish 3 of which were perch, 1 a pike and a small gudgeon!

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2229-001_zpsc79d6f8b
This Pike certainly liked my minnow as it gave a really good scrap on the Sakura Shinjin baitcast rod I have been using of late.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 IMAG0286-001_zps835039d0
Such beautiful markings on the pike.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2232-001_zps78804e5b
2lb 2oz perch! My second 2lb fish within a week.

That evening once I was home I had the grin of the Cheshire cat for the rest of the night, whatever I'm doing with the minnow/slasbaits I don't know, but it seems to be working well especially on this stretch of the river.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 Croppedperch_zps84b8eda9

Had a Perch recently myself. I bet Mr. Makk can work out which peg this fish was caught from! Its Perch city at this peg at the moment, BTW caught on a lobworm and not a lure  Basketball 

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Alex Makk wrote:Also in the blog, www.alexmakkfishing.com

I had another few hours yesterday evening spent fishing the R.Trent with Ian. I myself was using the minnows/slashbait yet again with a few nice results. The tally for that session was 5 fish 3 of which were perch, 1 a pike and a small gudgeon!

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2229-001_zpsc79d6f8b
This Pike certainly liked my minnow as it gave a really good scrap on the Sakura Shinjin baitcast rod I have been using of late.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 IMAG0286-001_zps835039d0
Such beautiful markings on the pike.  

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2232-001_zps78804e5b
2lb 2oz perch! My second 2lb fish within a week.

That evening once I was home I had the grin of the Cheshire cat for the rest of the night, whatever I'm doing with the minnow/slasbaits I don't know, but it seems to be working well especially on this stretch of the river.

Yeah great fishing Alex  Wink 

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 pm

fatcaff wrote:Had a quick session resulting in a new pb of 23lb 8oz on a savage gear 19cm swim n jerk.Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 23lb_810

A perfect looking Pike mate Smile

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 am

Bazz wrote:Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 Croppedperch_zps84b8eda9

Had a Perch recently myself. I bet Mr. Makk can work out which peg this fish was caught from! Its Perch city at this peg at the moment, BTW caught on a lobworm and not a lure  Basketball 

I have a rough idea,

(If) it is where I think it is, I ain't been down that end for a while now. I still need to have a good dabble down there anyway.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Out for a couple hours spinning for perch and ended up with this at 10lb 2oz.
Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 10lb_210
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:53 pm

fatcaff wrote:Out for a couple hours spinning for perch and ended up with this at 10lb 2oz.
Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 10lb_210

well done
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Cheers Alex. It was quite a battle getting her in on my light spinning tackle.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 pm

fatcaff wrote:Cheers Alex. It was quite a battle getting her in on my light spinning tackle.
stunning fish pal
you cant beat taking a good fish on a lure ....well in affraid 
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Also in the blog - www.alexmakkfishing.com

I have been catching a mix of fish from the river consisting of a chub, half a dozen perch and a couple of pike. Yesterdays afternoon session with Ian saw me bank just the one fish which in turn has resulted in a new river PB.

A few picture of some of the fish I had caught within these past couple of weeks:
Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2241-001_zpsad48584b
31/07/14 - With the water having a clear tea like tinge to it, the perch seemed to be more on firetiger pattern baits. Before I took this picture of the perch with a firetiger minnow, I had a smaller fish on a lipless firetiger bait from this very same swim  If you tried anything of a different colour or pattern such as gold or silver the perch didn't seem to be interested.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2244-001_zpsf28d462e
06/08/14 - ''When predator becomes prey'' A week later saw me and Ian on a different part of the river for a few hours during the afternoon after a morning spent blanking on a stillwater. Once again perch seemed to be the species of the day.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2248-001_zps549bcb24
06/08/14 - Just before we decided to call it a day, I had a touch of the last cast magic thanks to this firetiger lipless bait.

16/08/2014 - Yesterday afternoon was spent roaming a different part of the river as there was a match being held on the usual stretch me and Ian had been fishing. We had anticipated that the heavy rain we had here Friday afternoon would cause the river to slightly rise and gain colour overnight but much to our surprise when we arrived the river was crystal clear.

After heading further along blanking at every swim I tried, I soon stopped off at a swim where I had several follows from a nice sized fish but stupidly of me I actually made the minnow bump into some vegetation and that seemed to of spooked the fish. So I decided to leave it and move further down concentrating on other swims. after a couple hours I met back up with Ian whom was fishing a swim further up from where I had just been. We had a breather to see whats what and who'd had some action, so far Ian managed a couple of small perch, a follow of a larger perch at about 1lb and also a couple of small pike. I told him that I myself so far was on a blank run but had some signs of a few smaller fish and also the larger one earlier on.

It was getting on for around 1600hrs and we decided to make our way back to the car, I told him I wanted to have another go at this certain swim where I seen this fish. Ian went a couple of swims further upstream and as I cast slightly left working the minnow I felt a sudden thump and a shake, I gently lifted the rod to set the hooks and asked myself could this be the fish I saw earlier or a different one?

Turns out it was my new river PB for perch at 2lb 6oz being followed in by another perch around the same size which tells me that these larger fish are in small shoals?

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2253-001_zpsc73468d0

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2254-001_zps0c09a4df

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2251_zps0ead8c0b

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2252-001_zpsf44c595d

During the unhooking I noticed and pointed out to Ian that this fish was a bit red underneath close to where the Anal fins are and we both wondered if this fish had spawned or getting close to it as I though the perch spawned late April early May? Anyway after I had released this fish, we decided to have a peek to where the match fishing was but they were just pulling their keepnets in and one of the chaps said they'd be another half hour as they needed to weigh in etc. So Ian and I decided to call it a day rather than wait.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 Empty Had some pike and perch.

Post  Bryanmcdonald Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Yes caught a few over the last couple of years, all on lures, savage gear minnows, rapala shads and devon minnows.

Last edited by Bryanmcdonald on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryanmcdonald
Bryanmcdonald

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Also in the Blog - www.alexmakkfishing.com

Yesterdays session resulted in a couple of PB's between me and Ian,

The fishing for me was considerably slow throughout most of the day, at the beginning of the session we started out where the river runs a tad slower and is also deeper as I wanted to see how my Curado 301E goes with the likes of bigger stuff (glidebaits, replicants etc.) and even then I only had a few halfhearted takes from jacks. After covering this stretch within the space of an hour, we had a quick breather and assessed the situation and what we'd had between us I had sod all whilst I believe Ian managed a perch or two. The river was in good condition, the clarity almost gin clear and there were plenty of the smaller fish around. We decided to move to another part a couple miles away and rethink our approach. I decided to do a two rod approach with my shinjin b/cast and my 3g/18g bushwhacker, and Ian took his basspro b/cast and his dragon 3g/18g. Instead of going our usual way on this stretch, we decided to take a different route just for a bit of exploration to parts we'd yet to cover.

We both covered what we could as a lot of the bankside was a bit out of our comfort zone (high nettles and steep almost near vertical drop of several feet on some parts of bankside). I did have a couple of follow from a small shoal of curious perch followed shortly after by a follow from a larger perch. As we made our way to where we started, we bumped into a familiar face. Steve had been at this area a short while and had already had a few perch for himself. After a chat and a quick drink, we decided to carry on back to where we started with Steve accompanying us. The topic of chub came up and we stopped off at a part as Steve was teaching us a thing or two with chub i.e. where they most likely to be and some of their habits/traits such as patrolling a drop during their feeding spell or keeping tucked under the overhanging vegetation on the far bank.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2150-001_zps03249222

I soon put that into practice using the little alphabet baits from Mark, and after a dozen or so casts towards the far bank. I soon had a sudden sharp tug and felt a tugging weight on the other end of my line, A quick shout to those two that I was onto a fish made them aware and Ian grabbed the net ready, I was soon graced with a nice new PB chub of 3lb 12oz.  

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2260-001_zpsb521dfd5
The new PB chub of 3lb 12oz

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2263-001_zps8a0f834b

But wait, there's more...

I moved further downstream, swapping my little alphabet for a different patter and flicked it under some overhanging trees and felt another sudden sharp tug and weight pulling and lunging. Another chub! This time slightly larger that the previous one so I knew instantly that this is another PB. A quick whistle to Steve as he was nearest to me. As he asked what's up this time I told him that I'd like him for taking a couple of quick pictures as I've yet again broke the Chub PB in space of quarter of an hour.  

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2266-001_zps9bff9716
4lb 2oz Chub graces the net! New PB for me

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2265-001_zpsb7e6c5d4
4lb 2oz Chub

Ian came along to see what the commotion was about and he congratulated me on my new PB, I told him to start casting towards an area as I was packing the scales and unhooking tools away and instantly he was onto a fish.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 DSCF2268-001_zps336970c2
Ian's PB Chub of 4lb 6oz

After the release of Ian's new PB I noticed his bait was back into the water quicker than I could say ''chub'' and soon enough he was on another smaller fish of 3lb 2oz. It soon went quiet and that was what we were left with the rest of the session.

I found it quiet unusual that there were no perch showing  any interest especially with my recent fish I've had but I guess they have their ''off'' days too. Hopefully now I properly know how to approach the like of chub, you should see more of them included in future posts.

Alex,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Anybody Catching??? - Page 8 Empty Luck has its days.

Post  Bryanmcdonald Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am

Went lure fishing with a mepps and it something I usually never do, but look.
Bryanmcdonald
Bryanmcdonald

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

Bryanmcdonald wrote:Went lure fishing with a mepps and it something I usually never do, but look.
at what Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next