PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternative trace materials

+6
Andy Macfarlane
paddy pike
craigpix2000
piketastic
Andy Webster
aaronlee
10 posters

Go down

Alternative trace materials Empty Alternative trace materials

Post  aaronlee Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I have always fished with wire traces has anybody else tried any alternative materials for use as traces i.e. ultima hardcore leader material. (Hard mono) if so what sort of material do you use? would like to try something new maybe improve the lure performance??

Last edited by aaronlee on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

aaronlee

http://www.lurepro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Alternative trace materials Empty Re: Alternative trace materials

Post  Andy Webster Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:11 pm

aaronlee wrote:I have always fished with wire traces has anybody else tried any alternative materials for use as traces i.e. ultima hardcore leader material. (Hard mono) if so what sort of material do you use? would like to try something new maybe improve the lure performance??

I would not recommend anything other than a wire trace for all pike fishing. I've used braided wires and plastic coated wires but they have always had wire. You can get stiff and supple wire and wire that can put up with repeated use so I can't see why anyone would want to use a mono. The trace is put under extreme shearing stress and mono isn't up to the job.

Andy Very Happy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm

I wouldnt use anything other than wire mate, there are a few different ones to try but stick to the tried and tested brands and you wont go far wrong, Too big a risk to the pikes welfare.Thanks.
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  craigpix2000 Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:42 pm

how big a lure are u chucking mate maybe try a llighter trace for my ultra light fishing i use 15lb wonder wire
for medium outfit 30/40lb carboflex traces
and jerkbait 100lb ti traces

i could go lighter on the last 2 but i rather bend the treble free and not risk a snap off if im stuck
craigpix2000
craigpix2000

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 am

Me and my Pikeing budy Eddie have been experimenting over the last couple of months with Mono, Well he's been useing Mono and i will stick with the best thing i know and thats the Wire Trace, The biggest fish Eddie has landed is 14Lb 10oz which is in one of my previouse posts, When i lifted the Pike out of the water the Mono Line was almost bitten through, I think if the Pike had another go it would have been free but also it would have been on death row, I honestly broke what the Pike had almost got through with a gentle tug, The Mono was 80LB Breaking strain, Dont under estimate a Pike and how sharp its teeth are, There is a new trace out that is made of Kevlar, I will stick with the Wire trace, I know this is the safest, Eddie has gone back to wire now as well, Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Dunno why anyone wants to try anything except wire when it's the cheapest and 100% reliable.

Looking for alternatives is just that. It's looking for no reason other than trying something else.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Dunno why anyone wants to try anything except wire when it's the cheapest and 100% reliable.

Looking for alternatives is just that. It's looking for no reason other than trying something else.
I have had some good arguments with my fishing pal Eddie, He is not for changing back to wire, He is a stuburn young feller, I tell him its all been tried before and wire is what comes out as the best, But as he has a one mile spool of 80 or 90Lb sealine mono its going to be a while before he goes back to wire, Unless he loses a big Pike ?
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:06 pm

i'd say its only a matter of time paddy..... hopefully the pike will be able to eject any gear he loses when it inevitably happens mate.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm

we are out tomorrow so i will throw the rule book at him, As it states you must a minimum main line of 15Lb and a "trace wire" of not less than 20Lb, If he says no then i will have to stop him from fishing, Its as easy as that, Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 pm

I have to admit i have used this (link below) as uptrace material before, but i would never ever use it for the main baited trace. the reason i used it was to allow protection for the pike if it barrel rolled and wrapped around the line. I have had that happen before and the braided mainline did do the poor pike some damage. I feel that this gives a fair bit of protection (its not 'cutting' like other braids) whilst still being very abraision and cut resistant ( big cat anglers love the stuff because of this)

http://www.kryston.com/quicksilver.php

I rarely use it now as i don't tend to fish methods that need an uptrace tbh.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 pm

At the end of the day people, theres enough knobbers out there killing Pike, summer piking, leaving runs too long etc etc. Don't make it any worse, just stick to wire.

Andrew.

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 pm

I read the rules to eddie for the waters we are both members of, He said, "You better lend me a couple of traces then", I was well happy, Job Done, Shocked
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 am

tootall wrote:I have to admit i have used this (link below) as uptrace material before, but i would never ever use it for the main baited trace. the reason i used it was to allow protection for the pike if it barrel rolled and wrapped around the line. I have had that happen before and the braided mainline did do the poor pike some damage. I feel that this gives a fair bit of protection (its not 'cutting' like other braids) whilst still being very abraision and cut resistant ( big cat anglers love the stuff because of this)

http://www.kryston.com/quicksilver.php

I rarely use it now as i don't tend to fish methods that need an uptrace tbh.

I use an uptrace nearly all the time, but a wire one!

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:48 pm

I have always used wire as a trace material, especially liking the ET 49 strand as its very soft and fairly kink resistant. I guided for 3 french lure anglers this spring who insisted on using flourocarbon leaders of 30kg (lure fishing only). I tried to persuede them it was inferior to wire but they promptly outfished me on my own waters at 4 fish to my one. They managed 108 Pike in the week and 4 were over the magical 100cm (best 23lb 10oz) and they never lost a single lure in a fish. Laughing
I will be sticking with wire for deadbaiting, but will be thinking more about flouro for lures Question
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:32 pm

lowdouble wrote:I have always used wire as a trace material, especially liking the ET 49 strand as its very soft and fairly kink resistant. I guided for 3 french lure anglers this spring who insisted on using flourocarbon leaders of 30kg (lure fishing only). I tried to persuede them it was inferior to wire but they promptly outfished me on my own waters at 4 fish to my one. They managed 108 Pike in the week and 4 were over the magical 100cm (best 23lb 10oz) and they never lost a single lure in a fish. Laughing
I will be sticking with wire for deadbaiting, but will be thinking more about flouro for lures Question
dont think its worth the chance muck just imagine loosing a big pike and then find ing it starved to death a couple of weeks later ask yourself how would you feel:
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down