PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody Catching part two

+6
mattjb
David Wynne
adie1200
lowdouble
psion
stubbo
10 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anybody Catching part two - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody Catching part two

Post  stubbo Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:42 am

adie1200 wrote:I would love to be out but no chance at the moment Sad  we have my mother in law in hospital on her death bed since last Thursday just watching her slowly slip away Sad and we are taking my wife's dad to hospital twice a day ! It could be any time now as she is completely unresponsive no Shocked
So no idea when I will get out again Crying or Very sad

Oh well While i was posting that the mother in law past away within 40 minutes of us leaving her bedside  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Good luck everyone and keep the photos coming I may be back out on the bank next week hopefully
sorry to hear this sad news adie
maybe she is in a better place now....... god rest her soul.........
stubbo
stubbo

adie1200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Right Adie as you said, back to the Pike fishing.

I had one of those never to be repeated days in November where everything came good. I was back on the water where I had my big Pike last season and had sat all morning without any sign of a Pike to my rods. In the afternoon they came on the feed and once again I found myself in the right place at the right time. I had fish of 7Lbs 10oz, 14Lbs 7oz, 25Lbs 10oz and topped it off with a 30Lbs 8oz fish. The two biggest are a brace of Pike that I'll probably never repeat in my lifetime and even now pinch myself and ask did it really happen. Although it has to be said, after successive blanks on here and another place since this red letter day, I'm getting back to my normal performance levels.

I'm sure people will understand why I've blanked the background out on the photos, as I really don't want this water recognised. The bigger fish is the photo without the coat on, this was a long and quite lean fish and in pristine condition.

Anybody Catching part two - Page 2 C26eb110 Anybody Catching part two - Page 2 01d20111
David Wynne
David Wynne

adie1200 and Tigi113 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:28 pm

I think a 30lb fish is the holy grail of pike fishing. I have come close but not caught one yet - and I have travelled thousands
of miles trying - very well done and I am not jealous!!!. Sad Very Happy

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:30 pm

David Wynne wrote:Right Adie as you said, back to the Pike fishing.

I had one of those never to be repeated days in November where everything came good. I was back on the water where I had my big Pike last season and had sat all morning without any sign of a Pike to my rods. In the afternoon they came on the feed and once again I found myself in the right place at the right time. I had fish of 7Lbs 10oz, 14Lbs 7oz, 25Lbs 10oz and topped it off with a 30Lbs 8oz fish. The two biggest are a brace of Pike that I'll probably never repeat in my lifetime and even now pinch myself and ask did it really happen. Although it has to be said, after successive blanks on here and another place since this red letter day, I'm getting back to my normal performance levels.

I'm sure people will understand why I've blanked the background out on the photos, as I really don't want this water recognised. The bigger fish is the photo without the coat on, this was a long and quite lean fish and in pristine condition.

Anybody Catching part two - Page 2 C26eb110 Anybody Catching part two - Page 2 01d20111
Congratulations,
That is a cracking brace of beautifully marked pike.30s don't come along often in the average pikers lives so savour every moment!
Being stuck in a tier 3 area with the local river in flood and no stillwaters worth fishing in reach its been a non angling weekend for me unfortunately,bloody covid!

mattjb

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 pm

That's a fantastic days piking David well done mate  cheers  I thought days like that were limited to places like where Lowdouble lives in Ireland  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm yet to even see a 30 never mind catch one  Shocked One day maybe lol
Some fantastic photo's so far this season keep them coming lads  cheers
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:28 pm

OMG dave you have done it again pal ...cracking brace pal ...do you think the 30s is a different fish , not that it matters mind ......
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:27 am

Stubbo, I'm pretty certain it's a different fish to last seasons big fish.
David Wynne
David Wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:05 pm

David Wynne wrote:Stubbo, I'm pretty certain it's a different fish to last seasons big fish.
 As you know I was going to fish this water last year , but never got round to it for the corvid crisis movement restrictions , but like you know you have to put the hours in for fish of that quality.......well done again Dave...... 2x 30s to your commitment , some people don't catch a 30 in there lifetime that's how rare they are,

People say go to chew , its full of thirty's , I say good luck with that .
I know a guy who has been visiting chew for the past ten years , and has not had a pike over twenty pounds... Shocked will try to get there myself in the near future ...on your water , but like any new water you need a few good sessions on there to pick up some hotspot areas ...it could take a few seasons as you know..........
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:31 pm

David Wynne wrote:Stubbo, I'm pretty certain it's a different fish to last seasons big fish
  stubbo wrote
As you know I was going to fish this water last year , but never got round to it for the corvid crisis movement restrictions , but like you know you have to put the hours in for fish of that quality.......well done again Dave...... 2x 30s to your commitment , some people don't catch a 30 in there lifetime that's how rare they are,People say go to chew , its full of thirtys , I say good luck with that. I know a guy who has been visiting chew for the past ten years , and has not had a pike over twenty pounds... Shocked will try to get there myself in the near future ...on your water , but like any new water you need a few good sessions on there to pick up some hotspot areas ...it could take a few seasons as you know..........

mattjb Wrote
People always had a distorted view of chew mainly because the angling press made it look like you just turn up and wind a 30 in!.You have to bear in mind that 60 anglers fish it on the day,someone will usually get lucky. At one time it did hold a lot though. I'm local and was lucky enough to be one of the fabled golden ticket holders, I worked out it took 77 days on there before I caught a 30 ,which proves its wasn't that easy or I'm a crap pike fisherman! My persistence paid off big time in the end though!
Unfortunately chew isn't what it was ,I'd say it peaked in 2017 for the really big ones then numbers seemed to crash,the general opinion being that the hot summer following that caused high water temps and killed a lot off.
It seems that it's picked up slightly this year.

mattjb

Back to top Go down

Post  Tigi113 Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:34 am

Wow thats a fantastic days fishing and some really good piccys, Congratulations Thumb up
Tigi113
Tigi113

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm

mattjb wrote:
David Wynne wrote:Stubbo, I'm pretty certain it's a different fish to last seasons big fish
  stubbo wrote
As you know I was going to fish this water last year , but never got round to it for the corvid crisis movement restrictions , but like you know you have to put the hours in for fish of that quality.......well done again Dave...... 2x 30s to your commitment , some people don't catch a 30 in there lifetime that's how rare they are,People say go to chew , its full of thirtys , I say good luck with that. I know a guy who has been visiting chew for the past ten years , and has not had a pike over twenty pounds... Shocked will try to get there myself in the near future ...on your water , but like any new water you need a few good sessions on there to pick up some hotspot areas ...it could take a few seasons as you know..........

mattjb Wrote
People always had a distorted view of chew mainly because the angling press made it look like you just turn up and wind a 30 in!.You have to bear in mind that 60 anglers fish it on the day,someone will usually get lucky. At one time it did hold a lot though. I'm local and was lucky enough to be one of the fabled golden ticket holders, I worked out it took 77 days on there before I caught a 30 ,which proves its wasn't that easy or I'm a crap pike fisherman! My persistence paid off big time in the end though!
Unfortunately chew isn't what it was ,I'd say it peaked in 2017 for the really big ones then numbers seemed to crash,the general opinion being that the hot summer following that caused high water temps and killed a lot off.
having said that I know another guy who is on his 4th 30 but he visits regularly and really knows the venue well and I think these are all boat caught fish too , he recently took a friend who has never fished before and he had a 29lb first visit ........don't forget some fish don't get reported on there , just to throw people of the scent so to speak .......
but like I have always said if you fish a water long enough and you know there in there you will eventually catch that big fish .....I have fished some vast waters in the past and its always paid off......put the hours in and keep your ear to the ground ,fish good strong tackle and it will happen.....if you have the patience that is , its not everybody's cup of tea sat behind stationary rods for weeks on end .......
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:44 pm

I'mstubbo wrote:
mattjb wrote:
  stubbo wrote

mattjb Wrote
having said that I know another guy who is on his 4th 30 but he visits regularly and really knows the venue well and I think these are all boat caught fish too ,  he recently took a friend who has never fished  before and he had a 29lb first visit ........don't forget some fish don't get reported on there , just to throw people of the scent so to speak .......
but like I have always said if you fish a water long enough and you know there in there you will eventually catch that big fish  .....I have fished some vast waters in the past and its always paid off......put the hours in and keep your ear to the ground ,fish good strong tackle and it will happen.....if you have the patience that is , its not everybody's cup of tea sat behind stationary rods for weeks  on end .......
A lot of the days I fished on there were in the times when 30s were much more uncommon and it was more of a 20s water .It all came good for me in the end, I didn't tot up loads of 20s and 30s but used most of my luck up by catching 2 fish in the mammoth pike category plus another 30.To be honest it's a total lottery,the next run can be 4 or 40lb on there, big fish were coming out in different areas , deep and shallow.Mine also came from the boat,we had our best days moving around until we found fish.I stopped fishing it in 2018,will I go back? Maybe. I've got used to not paying £80 for a days fishing now though.
Seems like things may change in the next year or so with Bristol water considering other organisations possibly being involved in taking on the fishery side of things.

mattjb

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:27 am

WOW WOW WOW David Wynne, what a stunning brace of fish to top off a fantastic day. Very well done mate, i will just add I am as green as could be lol, I want one too☺☺☺
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:48 pm

My mate and I fished Chew valley once - I think we had two Jack's. Most of the anglers we met were very unfriendly, a lot like
the PAC awaydays I have fished, you have to be in the clique.
Places that have thirty pound pike in them are few between and if you find one, like you said, you have to put the time in to catch one.
I am member of three syndicate waters that I know hold very big pike and I have caught them up to 28lb so maybe one day I could get a
magic 30lb but I don't think it will be this year with the Covid restriction.
I also think it's not all about catching big fish - tomorrow I am fishing a small tarn where a double is a good fish but it's a very nice place
With stunnin scenery.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:06 pm

psion wrote:My mate and I fished Chew valley once - I think we had two Jack's. Most of the anglers we met were very unfriendly, a lot like
the PAC awaydays I have fished, you have to be in the clique.
Places that have thirty pound pike in them are few between and if you find one, like you said, you have to put the time in to catch one.
I am member of three syndicate waters that  I know hold very big pike and I have caught them up to 28lb so maybe one day I could get a
magic 30lb but I don't think it will be this year with the Covid restriction.
I also think  it's not all about catching big fish - tomorrow I am fishing a small tarn where a double is a good fish but it's a very nice place
With stunnin scenery.

Unfortunately that's the downside of fishing places like Chew, limited access,very big pike and expensive days
 = competitive fishing.
I don't miss that side of it.also you can end up putting pressure on yourself to catch when you're shelling out 80 notes a time. As you say there was a sort of clique with us locals and regulars, which was fine if you were in it, had some great banter and met some characters in the queue for the lodge and the annual comp day.
Trout water piking isn't everyone's cup of tea and we'd all like to be fishing for uncaught wild 30s but it's needs must if you are after the big uns and you live in this part of the world.
As you also said, I'm happy catching pike of all sizes.A local river 20 would give me as much pleasure as a trout water 35+ for sure.

mattjb

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Well lads Ive had another great day Very Happy     This is my 4th 20 of the season and my third over 25lb,  great odds arent they lol,   I managed 6 jacks,  5 doubles to 15lb and this PIG at 25lb 6oz.  Happy Andy tonight.    Weirdly enough and just to open a bit of a debate,  this is my 63rd 20 and the first I have ever caught on Mackerel Shocked   I do use them quite regularly but never really rated them,  maybe Ive missed a trick not using them more,  I had a 13 and 15 on it too.  We never know it all do we lol Wink

Anybody Catching part two - Page 2 Dsc01111
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:06 pm

Another brilliant days piking Andy cheers well done mate we will make a piker out of you yet Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Meanwhile I had another day out blanking yesterday affraid affraid affraid
My own fault I changed my mind where I was going to fish at the last minute lol I should have stuck to my first choice pale
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

lowdouble likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Tench are my favorite species Adie, but Pike come a very close second lol. I was torn too this morning and a toss of the virtual coin took me there. Its better to be lucky than good Wink Wink Wink
lowdouble
lowdouble

adie1200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:13 pm

lowdouble wrote:Well lads Ive had another great day Very Happy     This is my 4th 20 of the season and my third over 25lb,  great odds arent they lol,   I managed 6 jacks,  5 doubles to 15lb and this PIG at 25lb 6oz.  Happy Andy tonight.    Weirdly enough and just to open a bit of a debate,  this is my 63rd 20 and the first I have ever caught on Mackerel Shocked   I do use them quite regularly but never really rated them,  maybe Ive missed a trick not using them more,  I had a 13 and 15 on it too.  We never know it all do we lol Wink

Well done, that's some fishing you have over there!
My first ever 20 came on a mackerel and I can think of one other. To be honest I don't use them much, their tough skin means the bait often doesn't come away from the hooks and pike throw the bait and hooks sometimes when they shake their heads. Seems to happen more with macks than other baits, maybe being fairly dense gives plenty of weight to pull the hooks from the pike? I much prefer a big sardine or medium herring than a mackerel of the same size.

mattjb

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Ive never caught a 20 on sardine or herring either Matt, loads of jacks though. I must admit I like to match the hatch and Roach and Trout would be my main stay of baits, Pollan a close third. Funnily enough i had 3 doubles on Perch today, and I dont like them either due to the hooks never pulling out on the strike. Fishing is fun isnt it lol.
lowdouble
lowdouble

adie1200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:14 pm

lowdouble wrote:Ive never caught a 20 on sardine or herring either Matt,    loads of jacks though.    I must admit I like to match the hatch and Roach and Trout would be my main stay of baits, Pollan a close third.   Funnily enough i had 3 doubles on Perch today,   and I dont like them either due to the hooks never pulling out on the strike.  Fishing is fun isnt it lol.

I really rate sardines,both of the chew 35+ I had came on smaller sardines than I normally use. The sardines I've been using for the last couple of seasons are Portuguese ones ,glazed and frozen in kilo bags from a frozen food merchant.They are bigger and rounder in profile than the ones we normally get here and you get around 9 to a kilo for £2.50.Even with the head chopped off they are still a decent sized bait.If the water is coloured I'll fish a sardine with the head off on all 3 rods,they let out so much scent and oil.
I've had 2 big ones on herrings as well,I like a medium sized one with the head off.
Other waters seem to respond more to non oily baits,one I used to fish a lot, smelt and coarse deads seemed better. On the river I rate lamprey I got some from Gadda this recently and with 3 different baits out there more often than not the runs came on a lamprey,but they are expensive these days!
One bait I've not used that much but a mate really rates are eel sections,I started using them on one water this season and they definitely were picking up the better fish until lockdowns and tier systems kept me away!

mattjb

adie1200 and lowdouble like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Every water seems to have its preference doesnt it. if i fish the Shannon and its loughs, I love lamprey and smelt, i am sure something genetic in the Pike knows they are seasonal and regular prey. In the midland loughs they are near useless to say the least. Give them what they are used to seeing and its game on, when times are tough try something different, thats my theory anyway. 2 35+ WOW, well done Matt☺
lowdouble
lowdouble

adie1200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mattjb Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:18 pm

lowdouble wrote:Every water seems to have its preference doesnt it.   if i fish the Shannon and its loughs,   I love lamprey and smelt,   i am sure something genetic in the Pike knows they are seasonal and regular prey.   In the midland loughs they are near useless to say the least.   Give them what they are used to seeing and its game on,   when times are tough try something different,  thats my theory anyway.   2 35+  WOW,  well done Matt☺
On stillwaters lamprey have been very hit and miss for me,can't say they are worth the extra expense on any I've fished.I think you are right that especially in rivers they know they are a natural prey even if the river no longer gets seasonal lamprey runs.
.Generaly if they aren't fussy I'm happy to use sardines mostly,cheap,smelly and you don't miss many runs on them.

mattjb

adie1200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:23 pm

Just to muddy the waters a little and contradict my previous comment Matt, on the limestone loughs I fish, Smelt is a pure killer, and thats a sea run bounty too, i just dont know the answers and thats what makes it so interesting lol, every day is different☺
lowdouble
lowdouble

adie1200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:44 pm

lowdouble wrote:Well lads Ive had another great day Very Happy     This is my 4th 20 of the season and my third over 25lb,  great odds arent they lol,   I managed 6 jacks,  5 doubles to 15lb and this PIG at 25lb 6oz.  Happy Andy tonight.    Weirdly enough and just to open a bit of a debate,  this is my 63rd 20 and the first I have ever caught on Mackerel Shocked   I do use them quite regularly but never really rated them,  maybe Ive missed a trick not using them more,  I had a 13 and 15 on it too.  We never know it all do we lol Wink

andy mackerel for me has caught me some nice fish over the years pal , I prefer the tail section but maybe half the fish up to  six inch  in length
but done really well this year on roach dead's and lives I've actually lost count on how many fish I have had probably over seventy fish , but not monsters , but I am past caring now .....I used to chase the big girls years ago .....but I am enjoying it more these days , like matt says I was probably trying to hard to get that dream fish .....it happened in the end 2x30s and a lot of leg work and hours  but these days I am happy with what turns up .......but I must admit I can sit behind a rod all day long if there was a chance of a big girl turning up ... think I have spent a bit too much  time chasing big perch this season  which I have enjoyed too....... but it took my eye off the pike a bit
cracking pike session andy ....you never fail pal well in.......
stubbo
stubbo

adie1200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next