PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bait poppers

+3
noodle
stubbo
Garrypiker
7 posters

Go down

Bait poppers  Empty Bait poppers

Post  Garrypiker Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:16 pm

I have just made some bait poppers for the first time. I have never used them before but will be in the near future does anyone else use them and are there any noticeable benefits. Does it improve your catch rate??

Garrypiker

Back to top Go down

Bait poppers  Empty Re: Bait poppers

Post  stubbo Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Garrypiker wrote:I have just made some bait poppers for the first time. I have never used them before but will be in the near future does anyone else use them and are there any noticeable benefits. Does it improve your catch rate??
had my best fish on a pop up i always have 1 on a rod
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 am

What have you used to make them?
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  steve.w Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 pm

I've always used balsa sticks pushed down the deadbaits throat.Buy balsa dowel in different thickness,cut to length required,drill a small hole in one end to tie to the trace swivel,sharpen other end and off you go.I used to varnish them but don't bother now.I feel more confident if I have a bait just off the bottom,and with all the different sizes you make it's easy to get the bait just how you want it.I like to have the head raised of the bottom and the tail on the deck,probably still catch the same pike,but a confidence thing,thinking it's more visible.
steve.w
steve.w

Back to top Go down

Post  Garrypiker Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 pm

noodle wrote:What have you used to make them?

I used savage gear bait poppers in various sizes and colours and made them how fox describe in there book Very Happy

Garrypiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:27 am

I wouldn't say they improve your catch rate but it's always useful to have a mixture of methods employed.

As an instance, if the water if calm, your bait might not create a scent trail and if it's hidden from view, it could take hours to find, if at all. A pop-up is at least visual.

I normally fish one rod with a pop-up at least and if it goes more than once, I'll happily stick them on all 3 rods.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:25 am

i find a lamprey section for some reason a good bait to pop up maybe its the scent or the bait is not that big and it is a better presentation done well on lamprey and smallish trout...... Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Bait poppers  Empty prowla

Post  creamcake007 Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Greys prowla screw in pop up sticks, really are the dogs do das, tough and easy to use. even screw in to frozen baits Very Happy
creamcake007
creamcake007

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:36 pm

I used some fox pop ups for the first time last year, the red foam ball ones, so basically my bait looks like a small fish trying to eat a boilie, I had two runs a fair bit faster than your normal pike run, I struck and nothing there, I don't think it was a pike so not sure if I should use um them again, bright red boilie looking ball might work for carp but pike?
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down