PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hook placement, half baits

+6
psion
stubbo
tomthepiker
silkmen
memacca
matt859
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

hook placement, half baits - Page 2 Empty Re: hook placement, half baits

Post  memacca Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Thumbs up from me mate......
memacca
memacca

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:30 pm

just made some new traces
got it well sussed
thanks adie found the link very useful
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:57 pm

Does anyone know any websites where they sell everything you need to make your own traces like crimps crimpers hooks etc in kit form?
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 pm

Don't know about kits But  these two are good and I'm sure other members will have their own favourites  Wink 
Click on links below  Wink 

Glasgow angling center

The tackle shop ( Nev Fickling )
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 pm

iam right into this trace making tonight
even making patanostas lol
its easy when you are showed
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 am

Try this Tom http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wire-Trace-Kit-/390754347983?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5afac62bcf
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 am

silkmen wrote:iam right into this trace making tonight
even making patanostas lol
its easy when you are showed
be careful when buying shop bought traces some can be dreadfuly made

stick to the well known makes muck

like I said I always make my own 30lb wire size 4 fox trebles a good strong quiet big swivel or the cross loc type swivel and 18lb reel line which I change every year might swap over to braid this year ......... but on some waters it is banned ive been told
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Why would braid be banned????
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Carp waters ban it. It is said it cuts into the fish when playing them.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:46 pm

The older styles of braid were extremely thin and have been blamed for cutting the mouths of fish when used as a hook length, the same could be said of plain old mono and flourocarbon. Match anglers (using poles and broom handle stiff margin poles) hauling the carp in as fast as they can to get into a net, and the real carp (bivvy and brew kit) anglers have blamed each other for years over the issue.

Braid used as a mainline does very occasionally lift the body scales of carp and bigger fish as they go through the process of trying to escape. Some Fishery owners have blanket banned braid as a result, some have only banned it as a hook length and some only as a mainline.

The modern braided (coated) hooklength materiel is far kinder to the fish and causes less damage than was originally thought.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:30 pm

There's a venue which I really want to try out but they only allow single hooks no trebles but Iv been to somewhere before with same rules and every time I was getting a run I would wind down and strike and near enough always the single hooks were still attached to the bait and the pike would just spook and drop it what's everyone's tips for single hooks?
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Im catching a few on singles at the minute pal. I can't speak for everyone Tom, but I have been catching on ACE long shank carp hooks as a single hook. They are literally razor sharp so be very careful . Obviously I have been using them in conjunction with smaller baits and have been hitting the runs at the very first indication. they have helped put a few decent fish on the bank this season and were recommended to me by a carp angler in the tackle trade. Have belief and confidence in them and you will get results.
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 pm

I like the idea because they make it look more subtle but the problem is (I think) when I strike with a treble only one hook is attached to the bait leaving two hooks to set on the fish where as a single has no way of hooking unless you pull it free with the first strike if that makes sense lol I was thinking of making something like a kebab rig for example just not cut the fish up when I put it on.
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Could you not just use a casting clip and lightly hook the bait through the skin.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:15 pm

I never even thought of that with the braid but kinda obvious when you think about it.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:38 am

double hair rig

make up a trace with two decent wide gape hooks like cox and rawle crab hooks then tie braid hairs to each hook and attach the bait to the hair
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:20 am

That's what I'm thinking noodle just going to make couple different length hairs I think
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:37 pm

noodle wrote:double hair rig

make up a trace with two decent wide gape hooks like cox and rawle crab hooks then tie braid hairs to each hook and attach the bait to the hair

what size singles do you use? there is a tendancy to use massive single hooks to over compensate for the treble. Have a look at the size of the huge hooks in the spinner baits and rubber lures for instance. Another failing of the single hook useage is that they tend to fold flat against the side of the bait fish and dont have a good start for a hook hold, even when in the pikes mouth.

Single hooks used on a hair (kebab style) are better because the hook is completely free and hanging underneath a smallish bait and will have more chance of a hook hold.

I know Tom has been limited to a single hook rule and all of the above suggestions are helpful but far better in my view to have a set of smaller trebles than a single massive wide gape hook. I even cut the silly size top single hooks off my rubber lures and substitute a set of smaller trebles instead.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm

I asked about the rule at a fishery Iv been to before and he said it stops deep hooking?? I personally can't see how having a single can stop you deep hooking i suppose it may make it easier getting a deep hook out tho not really a fan of the idea if I'm honest
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Also I was thinking of same style as kebab but instead of cutting the fish up just use long bait needle through a roach and have the single at the tail end swinging around all freely I agree with you matt about the size just going to use one similiar size to a size six or four treble?
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:09 pm

matt859 wrote:
noodle wrote:double hair rig

what size singles do you use?  there is a tendancy to use massive single hooks to over compensate for the treble.  Have a look at the size of the huge hooks in the spinner baits and rubber lures for instance.  Another failing of the single hook useage is that they tend to fold flat against the side of the bait fish and dont have a good start for a hook hold, even when in the pikes mouth.

Single hooks used on a hair (kebab style) are better because the hook is completely free and hanging underneath a smallish bait and will have more chance of a hook hold.

I know Tom has been limited to a single hook rule and all of the above suggestions are helpful but far better in my view to have a set of smaller trebles than a single massive wide gape hook.  I even cut the silly size top single hooks off my rubber lures and substitute a set of smaller trebles instead.

size 2 or 1 for a normal bait company sort of joey, i wouldnt use them with anything bigger, ive used 2/0 etc as a single with a length of lamprey as a single hook for absolute distance work though that was casting 120 upwards when i could do that
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2