PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deadbaiting questions.

+8
stubbo
cobbler
Bazz
lowdouble
rozzo
MAD BAD ANGLER
psion
Flyfishin
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Deadbaiting questions. - Page 2 Empty Re: Deadbaiting questions.

Post  Bazz Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:09 am

The way Graeme does it on the video works well... He uses Partridge double hooks which are as rare as rocking horse manure but a pair of large singles works well, or trebles. A swan shot squeezed onto the trace just in front of the bait fishes nose works well, its pretty well free-lining the bait on the retrieve. I fish on a small local river, caught more Pike on twitched deads there than anywhere else, its deadly! I fish fly too on a 9' 9wt Vision Big Daddy rod, pretty good technique. Do you fly-fish for Pike? Wink

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  cobbler Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:32 am

They have some Partridge double hooks here http://www.onepoundfishingtackle.co.uk/product/partridge-vb-pike-down-eye-10-x-size-8s-offset-doubles/
There was other sizes but I think I`ve bought them all Very Happy

cobbler

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Bazz wrote:The way Graeme does it on the video works well... He uses Partridge double hooks which are as rare as rocking horse manure but a pair of large singles works well, or trebles. A swan shot squeezed onto the trace just in front of the bait fishes nose works well, its pretty well free-lining the bait on the retrieve. I fish on a small local river, caught more Pike on twitched deads there than anywhere else, its deadly! I fish fly too on a 9' 9wt Vision Big Daddy rod, pretty good technique. Do you fly-fish for Pike? Wink

Thanks for Reply I really like TAF there great videos, Actually I Normally Fly fish for Salmon and trout During the summer In Ireland and give the Pike a rest till October, I've Tried it though great fun I Just cant seem to cast well with a high Rated fly rod like #9 or #10 I might give it a few more trys this season!

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi lads

Sorry for double posting but I had a look at second hand Delkims alarms there seems to be a few around 30£ + there the Ev plus version, what line holder indicator should I get with Delkim I was looking the delkim es but it's a bit steal at 30£ any suggestions?

Thanks FF.

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Flyfishin wrote:I have some perch too small though how would you approach the river? with a ledger rig?
if there are trout in your river . try one of those you would sure to get a take pal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Deadbaiting questions. - Page 2 Empty treble posting

Post  stubbo Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:27 pm

don't know what happened there with that posting
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 am

stubbo wrote: don't know what happened there with that posting

lol! lol! lol! Sorted it Stubbo lol you must have tapped the post button 3 times lol!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion

Will try it out! Very Happy

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Well lads

Had a go in a new stretch way down where I normally fish, started with savage gear lures nothing, changed to a Abu garcia hi los and fished it deeply and had a follow from a very decent pike about 15lb plus she inspected the lure and turned away the spot itself looked very pikey! Trees all around and deep,

I've a new plan to go out a deadbait that spot a good idea? ill probably go with a legered setup a good idea? Haven't tried deadbaiting much on rivers so any advice ?

Thanks FF

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Well FF, there are a few options for you in that case. It could be worth travelling light on the first trip and having perhaps one or two rods maximum and spend an hour or so in each likely looking haunt before moving to the next spot. Even peg to peg.
You could ledger a dead bait on the alarm and on the other rod have a float fished dead bait covering the swim off bottom , in the flow.
This way you should be lucky enough to find one or two pike holding areas.
Good luck mate !
P.S .....you can believe me when I say that I'm already excited thinking about how you are going to go on!😀👍
Cheers Craig.
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  mal wynne Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:16 pm

it,s deffinitely worth having a go where you had the follow mate , also have you tried the savage gear "real eel" , I,ve got a lot of faith in them worked slow and deep on rivers Smile

mal wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 pm

piketastic wrote:Well FF, there are a few options for you in that case. It could be worth travelling light on the first trip and having perhaps one or two rods maximum and spend an hour or so in each likely looking haunt before moving to the next spot. Even peg to peg.
You could ledger a dead bait on the alarm and on the other rod have a float fished dead bait covering the swim off bottom , in the flow.
Good luck mate !
P.S .....you can believe me when I say that I'm already excited thinking about how you are going to go on!😀👍
Cheers Craig.

Cheers for the reply

I can't wait to get back myself!! Only prob that there's a fair bit of weed around, should be gone in about 2 weeks and I've a few days off and I'll hit it should update the thread around then, also I might try and stick to 1 deadbaiting rod as I've to walk a few miles and jump drains etc! What method should I stick to?

As for deadbait fish what should I use ? I was think trout as stated above any other suggestions ?

I used the reel eel for awhile not in that swim and no luck green 19cm I herd if you change the position of the tail is fishes different?

Thanks FF.

Last edited by Flyfishin on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit)

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Flyfishin wrote:
piketastic wrote:Well FF, there are a few options for you in that case. It could be worth travelling light on the first trip and having perhaps one or two rods maximum and spend an hour or so in each likely looking haunt before moving to the next spot. Even peg to peg.
Good luck mate !
Cheers Craig.

Cheers for the reply

I can't wait to get back myself!! Only prob that there's a fair bit of weed around,  should be gone in about 2 weeks and I've a few days off and I'll hit it should update the thread around then, also I might try and stick to 1 deadbaiting rod as I've to walk a few miles and jump drains etc! What method should I stick to?

As for deadbait fish what should I use ? I was think trout as stated above any other suggestions ?

I used the reel eel for awhile not in that swim and no luck green 19cm I herd if you change the position of the tail is fishes different?

Thanks FF.
lamprey or dead eel section
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Cheers

What popup rigs would we suggest? I currently have greys prowla popups but I don't think my deadbait is fishing right at all! When I went to the river a while back the whole deadbait was floating until you tightened up with the ledger I was using a half piece of deadbait and there large popups, any suggestions?

Cheers FF.

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:35 pm

Flyfishin wrote:Cheers

What popup rigs would we suggest? I currently have greys prowla popups but I don't think my deadbait is fishing right at all! When I went to the river a while back the whole deadbait was floating until you tightened up with the ledger I was using a half piece of deadbait and there large popups, any suggestions?

Cheers FF.
IF USEING POP UPS TRY USEING THE MINIMUM POP UP SIZED BALL
I NORMALLY POP MINE UP ABOUT 6INCH TO A FOOT USE A HEAVIER LEAD SAY 3OZ TIGHTEN UP USEING A RUN RING YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THAT CLOSE RANGE TO MEDIUM RANGE.. TEST IT IN THE MARGINES FIRST TO SEE ITS RIGHT
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:07 pm

if you are fishing moving water the only pop up you need is a three ounce lead and a short trace paternoster with an up-trace, that will suspend the bait off bottom
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 pm

rozzo wrote:if you are fishing moving water the only pop up you need is a three ounce lead and a short trace paternoster with an up-trace, that will suspend the bait off bottom

Cheers for the reply

I normally use a swivel on the mainline with 3ft connects to a ledger 20lb line with knots to weaken the line so if it gets caught it would snap, the river is fairly weedy and I as using a popup to keep off the weedy bottom I herd foam is good any thoughts ?

Cheers ff.

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I sometimes think the red pop up balls put the pike off

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:26 pm

the bat wrote:I sometimes think the red pop up balls put the pike off

Cheers for the reply,

What other pop up method would you suggest ?

Thanks FF.

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:48 am

I've got some black pop up balls or paternoster baits off the bottom

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Deadbaiting questions. - Page 2 P1030510 This is a picture of my pop up rig. As you ca see I don't have the ball

attached to the hooks because I think it pulls the hooks out of the bait. I don't know if red puts the pike off.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 am

Cheers for the reply ,

I was thinking that the popup would pull the hook out of the deadbait I'll try and make that rig!

Thanks FF.

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:34 am

Hi lads

Just a wee question went out for quick session one rod for lure fishing and one for deadbaiting, put a tail piece  mackerel one was using size 6 semi barbed hooks and after a hour or so I had a run and the line was coming of the spool so I waited about 5 seconds reeled in slow and striked fish on! I felt the fish and he felt very big straight away she took line of me and a minute later gone! Gutted felt like a big fish, so I put on a new piece of deadbait nothing happened but every time I reeled in the first hook was not on the deadbait only one hook was in the deadbait itself, kept happeneing.. I think it was becuase the hooks were a bit small and I was casting out far so I'll have to get some new traces, I was using a legered setup basic with a swivel on the mainline and about 4 foot of 20lb line attached to the ledger then a rubber bead to protect the knot.
Also I was putting the second hook through the deadbaits tail and then the first hook on the dorsal fin.

EDIT: I didn't have any bait elastic with me so meaby that's another reason why?

Any ideas?

Thanks ff.

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:03 pm

The pop up rig as size 4's hooks on it. I had two pike on pop up Trout last week. You can over think things sometimes

If you look at a lot of post on here you will see that they caught X and missed or lost Y. It happens. I sometimes use bait flags

on the hook in the tail to help hold it on.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:13 pm

Flyfishin wrote:Hi lads

Just a wee question went out for quick session one rod for lure fishing and one for deadbaiting, put a tail piece  mackerel one was using size 6 semi barbed hooks and after a hour or so I had a run and the line was coming of the spool so I waited about 5 seconds reeled in slow and striked fish on! I felt the fish and he felt very big straight away she took line of me and a minute later gone! Gutted felt like a big fish, so I put on a new piece of deadbait nothing happened but every time I reeled in the first hook was not on the deadbait only one hook was in the deadbait itself, kept happeneing.. I think it was becuase the hooks were a bit small and I was casting out far so I'll have to get some new traces, I was using a legered setup basic with a swivel on the mainline and about 4 foot of 20lb line attached to the ledger then a rubber bead to protect the knot.
Also I was putting the second hook through the deadbaits tail and then the first hook on the dorsal fin.

EDIT: I didn't have any bait elastic with me so meaby that's another reason why?

Any ideas?

Thanks ff.
ok mate here is what you did wrong,,, starting from the mainline the first hook should go into the tail root, right before the tail and if possible into the bone,, this hook will take the weight of the cast. the second (end hook) can be placed anywhere in the flesh of the half mackeral. everything depends on the hook hold of the first hook from the mainline. make sure on the semi barbless that the point with the barb is the one in the bait.
can you get out with an experienced piker? its easier to show than to explain. where are you?
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next