PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Rigs - Adaptable for Pike?

2 posters

Go down

Hair Rigs - Adaptable for Pike? Empty Hair Rigs - Adaptable for Pike?

Post  raf1870 Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi

I have been looking at hair rigs and how they have been devised mostly for carp fishing.

I have never rigged one up but is it easy to adapt it for pike fishing and make it up using carbo flex trace wire instead?

The idea is to also add a popper so that the bait chunk would float up out of the weeds.

However, never having made up a hair rig or ever used one how would my bait and popper remain on the hair rig?

Hopefully I have explained what I am attempting to give a go.

Cheers

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Hair Rigs - Adaptable for Pike? Empty Re: Hair Rigs - Adaptable for Pike?

Post  Lefty Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Last season I started to experiment with the 'tagging method' which is basically hair rigging a bait to your hook. I have always used singles and the method is ideally suited to a single. I don't know of anybody having tried it using a treble hook nor do I think it would be suitable.

Anyway, last season was a disaster for me (health issues and the waters being frozen over) so this season I will be trying it again. A lot of people slate the idea because you don't use a treble and because the hook isn't attached to the bait it's not seen as an instant strike method.

To overcome this use shorter 'hairs' and/or smaller baits. I mainly use sprats, joey mackerel or half baits such as half a herring, half a mackerel etc.

The following link shows you how to tie a trace for this method. My apologies for the picture quality, which is down to me not being David Bailey or owning a top notch camera.

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk/articles/tagging_trace.html

To attach a bait to the trace you use a tagging gun and tags. These are the exact same things used for attaching labels to clothing.

PM me if you are interested in using this method.

Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:09 pm

I've just re read your post. So are you wanting to use a popped up chunk, like the pic below?

Hair Rigs - Adaptable for Pike? 07_-_544_WEB_OF_07_-_407_copyright_AT-228x355

If so, try this link to the Mick Brown website:

http://mickbrownangling.com/2006Technicallibrary.html

Click on "Revolutionary Pike Rigs" on the right near the bottom of the page.

Incidentally, Fox do a product specifically for this style of rig. Do a search for "Fox Predator bait popper stems". These are used in conjunction with the Fox Predator Bait Poppers or some other form of buoyancy aid such as a cork or foam ball. Also try "Fox Predator kebab and popper pin kit" for using a popped up kebab rig.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down