PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line gate clips

+13
Ady Brayshaw
lowdouble
welsh piker
adie1200
tomthepiker
tc
tootall
nightwatchman
stubbo
paul_sheff
noodle
rozzo
kell
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Line gate clips - Page 3 Empty Re: Line gate clips

Post  rozzo Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 am

you can with these m8 and dont have to wait Wink
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-PREDATOR-DROP-ARM-INDICATOR-PIKE-FISHING-BITE-INDICATOR-/370577900690?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item56482a0492
just type fox predator in the search m8,, dozens of em
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 am

or get these....

http://gardnertackle.co.uk/products/bite-indication-accessories/pike-drop-off-indicator/
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 pm

sorry dave but no good i want the fox line gates or nothing
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:29 pm

kell wrote:sorry dave but no good i want the fox line gates or nothing

only problem with the gates which ive been reading from a few people on the PAC of GB that on takes at times the gate doesn't open. which is why im going to opt for the clip when i find them Neutral
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Me and a few others have never had a single problem with the line gates never had one catch and you could even use one with pe braid .
But if the PAC lads have had a problem well what can I say I must set them up wrong and will try and get them to snag in future
But I still love them ?
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

I use the fox drop offs with line gate, I think there much better I can't see how the gate couldn't open, must be noddys having the problems lol!
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Never had one fail and infinitely adjustable but who am I not qualified to catch pike I suppose just a peasant angler and not fit to own a pike rod
And I would still use a fox line gate clip against any other clip and I bet I could see why they have failed on other people's set ups .
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm

kell wrote:Never had one fail and infinitely adjustable but who am I not qualified to catch pike I suppose just a peasant angler and not fit to own a pike rod
And I would still use a fox line gate clip against any other clip and I bet I could see why they have failed on other people's set ups .

im curios about that statement
i watched my mate have no end of grief with one of his gates. it was one of four the other three did work until they got trashed by mud and sand
so in your opinion what could go wrong with them, im asking as thats my only experience with them, i lent him some spare ones with matrix ball clips on.
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  wymo Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Iv been using the line gate clips since fox brought them out and have NEVER had a problem with them releasing the line .
I can only imagine that people having issues with them is down to not using them properly because set correctly they release the braid with the slightest of presure especially if you set them with the drop off head touching the rear of the spool.
Just my opinion lol
Tight lines
Loose clips
Smile

Last edited by wymo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
wymo
wymo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

kell wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:Kell, those are bloody smart mate.... jocolor

Thanks andy but not my idea mate it was tootall who found a pic of some a carper had done and he made a set. I loved them so made a set BUT I am not happy with them i love the fox line gate bar and cannot find any. The solar ptfe clips are crap for braid which i use ? It is just my preferance.
But i coated them in etex which was a pain but makes them very shiny and rock hard,
If you know anyone andy with some old fox line gates i will buy them of them to cannibalise lol!

Contact Mark Houghton. The line gate was, as far as I can recollect, his development. I'm sure if you ask him nicely, he might show you how to make his homemade version, which I've been told, is more sensitive than the production version.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:53 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
kell wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:Kell, those are bloody smart mate.... jocolor

Thanks andy but not my idea mate it was tootall who found a pic of some a carper had done and he made a set. I loved them so made a set BUT I am not happy with them i love the fox line gate bar and cannot find any. The solar ptfe clips are crap for braid which i use ? It is just my preferance.
But i coated them in etex which was a pain but makes them very shiny and rock hard,
If you know anyone andy with some old fox line gates i will buy them of them to cannibalise lol!

Contact Mark Houghton. The line gate was, as far as I can recollect, his development. I'm sure if you ask him nicely, he might show you how to make his homemade version, which I've been told, is more sensitive than the production version.

Already been in touch with mark but he dose not have any only the other type which i am not after.I will get some eventually.

noodle i cannot see for the life of me why anyone should have a problem with them, If before putting them on you check to make sure
a- the gate opens ( dirt or something in bag may have got into spring )
b - the sides have not been marked ( cut mark or something in plastic so line would not go in a notch ) sorry about this explanation
c- when on set up the bar is close and rear word of line AND THE OPEN SIDE OF GATE IS FACING UP SLIGHTLY

Then in all honesty it cannot fail and if someone can make it fail continuiosly i would like to see it. I really thing it is the best clip out there for braid especially fine braid pp etc. I have two solar ptfe clips on and they were adjusted untill there was no light through them and still the slightest breeze droped them off.Tightened up some more and line then stuck when i struck. Not good at all.
This is only my opinion for what it is worth and it is a shame they do not make them anymore and i would match them against any clip with up most confidence (People are too quick to blame there kit and really they never checked them before starting,how many check there drag is set correct ? or is it the reels fault if a big fish snaps you because it dose not give line ? )

kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am

right well let me say fox and quality control are two terms you wont hear mentioned together in a good light very often
and the gate he couldnt get working wouldnt hold the braid full stop, as in he couldnt set the drop off as it would release before he had got his hands a few mm away
your right about the care though thats why he binned his the wear and tear on the plastic mountings was the killer after two seasons
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 am

each to there own. "as they say"

im only going to start alarm work when i fish deeper waters, other than that ill stick with my float rig which clearly works for me Very Happy Very Happy
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 am

noodle wrote:right well let me say fox and quality control are two terms you wont hear mentioned together in a good light very often
and the gate he couldnt get working wouldnt hold the braid full stop, as in he couldnt set the drop off as it would release before he had got his hands a few mm away
your right about the care though thats why he binned his the wear and tear on the plastic mountings was the killer after two seasons

The only thing that springs to mind lol is the spring was snaped and not holding bar at correct tension ? but we will never know.
I dont ledger very often now as i find it is less sensitive than float ledgering but i use the backbiters as a back up incase i snooze been an old man and all.
As dave says each to there own it would be a very boring world if everyone was to use the same things.
When all said and done the end result how ever obtained is a good capture and a safe return of a glorious pike ready for the next person to catch. cheers
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 am

Had to have a go at making some of those drop arms.  I know they arent as perfect as yours Kell, but I can not wait to use them.  Bring on the Autumn Wink 

Line gate clips - Page 3 Photo010
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 pm

i did some as well

Line gate clips - Page 3 DSC_0245
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  tc Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 pm

it looks like a theme is starting, you should market "pike angler" line gate clips.
tc
tc

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 am

Looking good Noodle, did you add any extra weight to help show drop backs. I am struggling to find leads that fit on the 3.2mm tube I used.
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 am

no extra weight they are heavy enough as they are only for my normal rods (p1's) and will probably be used mostly with floats anyway
the matrix clips on them do run on braid with a dropback, if they get used for legered deads then i dont tend to get drop backs (big free running leads) so the ounce and a bit they are is fine
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 pm

I generally fish at long range on the huge Irish loughs. Even with 4oz leads I sometimes get drop backs so I needed to add extra weight to mine. I hope they work as good as they look. Hurry up October I want to go fishing Very Happy 
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:31 pm

lowdouble wrote:I generally fish at long range on the huge Irish loughs.  Even with 4oz leads I sometimes get drop backs so I needed to add extra weight to mine.  I hope they work as good as they look.  Hurry up October I want to go fishing Very Happy 
ah well i have other kit for that those are for dlst p1's which are a 2.75 livebait rod

for big waters ive 3.25 fox pikers with aerlex on em now for normal stuff and 12'6" 4.5lbers with daiwa sealine bull 6000's for more extreme stuff
both have original if somewhat modified ET backbiters that i can add weight too should i need to

um 4 ounce is my small weights:lol: Shocked  well its my standard but ill happily use 5, 6 ounces etc if needed be

i bought the p1's earlier this year as after years of fishing the glacials i wasnt fishing them as much and with my gear aimed at those when i fish more intimate places like 50-100 acre waters im a tad overgunned when it comes to fishing closer in or with more fragile baits those are teamed with the penns in the pic great little reels up until then if i wanted to fish smaller water i was using the fox and a couple of carp rods which worked well enough but when my wife offered me some lumbys in exchance for something well it would be rude not too:D 
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3