PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody Catching

+28
Flyfishin
J Robinson
DELBOY
-CrAiG-
Pikeypete
Tigi113
matt859
leondodd
stephen7
D@veG
dave van dessel
coops440
nopikehere
fatcaff
MAD BAD ANGLER
Eric Edwards
the bat
piketastic
mal wynne
Dave-Newman
psion
lowdouble
admandino
rozzo
adie1200
Idlepiker
stubbo
silkmen
32 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anybody Catching - Page 30 Empty Re: Anybody Catching

Post  adie1200 Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Yes I've had a look could it be a stab hole from a cormorant that's become infected ?
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 pm

seen the same wound on two waters tat i fish a long way apart. it does not seem to affect the fish at all but doesn't look to pretty.

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:18 pm

adie1200 wrote:Yes I've had a look could it be a stab hole from a cormorant that's become infected ?
thats exactly what we thought too adie, and cormorants were seen periodically through the day Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:16 pm

They say god loves a tryer Adie lol.  keep at them and they will come.   well done lads,  that rez has some nice looking fish in it for sure.   My 2 days were a bit slow.  Freezing fog both days and water down to 4C.  Day one deadbaiting for a 5lb jack,  today trolling deads super super slow in 30ft of water produced 5 fish to 16lb 14oz and I missed 2 also.   happy fisherman Very Happy
Anybody Catching - Page 30 Ree_1610
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Unlucky Adie, well done lads on your fish! I can feel a big un coming on . One of us is going to get lucky . 👍 Your 30 might be on its way to you Andy
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:34 pm

It doesnt feel like it craig lol. they are getting smaller each week. fishings real hard now the waters cooled right down. In a few weeks when they are used to it they will feed like hell, but until then doubles will do very nicely Wink
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 pm

silkmen wrote:keep at it adie they will come soon enough.
been out wjth rozzo today we had 3 between us and rozzo lost 1..been a nice day on the bank..caught a fish with some kind of ulcer thing on it and blind in 1 eye poor thing.
Anybody Catching - Page 30 20161213
hey Jacob, thanks for today,, was lovely to see you and Lou again. and thanks for helping us out lou after i forgot the god darn petrol lol. hope you have many pb's with the pod and alarms Twisted Evil
great day in great company,, oh and i ended a run of four blanks Twisted Evil
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 am

rozzo wrote:
silkmen wrote:keep at it adie they will come soon enough.
been out wjth rozzo today we had 3 between us and rozzo lost 1..been a nice day on the bank..caught a fish with some kind of ulcer thing on it and blind in 1 eye poor thing.
Anybody Catching - Page 30 20161213
hey Jacob,  thanks for today,, was lovely to see you and Lou again.  and thanks for helping us out lou after i forgot the god darn petrol lol.  hope you have many pb's with the pod and alarms Twisted Evil
great day in great company,, oh and i ended a run of four blanks Twisted Evil
she is a top wife mate so far anyway lol..i was showing her how use the alarms last night lol its getting her on the bank now as she aint a keen piker prefers carping in summer.
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Well its my first time out this winter
I didnt catch any live bait which i was hoping to but one jack will kick me of for the start
They can only get bigger
maverick
maverick

Back to top Go down

Anybody Catching - Page 30 Empty finally got on the water.... at last

Post  stubbo Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:01 pm

went out this morning early , really up for it..... got to the lake and the boat was ready and waiting for me ,
set up with 3 floats in 22foot of water everything looked spot ...cast out my half mackerel dead baits and waited, and waited and waited
never had a twitch or a sniff , normally there are jacks on offer and a very good chance of a biggy too.. but nowt happened , that's piking for you.. still cant wait till the next outing Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:07 pm

lowdouble wrote:They say god loves a tryer Adie lol.  keep at them and they will come.   well done lads,  that rez has some nice looking fish in it for sure.   My 2 days were a bit slow.  Freezing fog both days and water down to 4C.  Day one deadbaiting for a 5lb jack,  today trolling deads super super slow in 30ft of water produced 5 fish to 16lb 14oz and I missed 2 also.   happy fisherman Very Happy
Anybody Catching - Page 30 Ree_1610
lovely fish pal maybe I should have fished the lures today perfect conditions just a slight ripple on the water Sad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:01 pm

We never had a touch on the static deads either stubbo. all the fish were covered in lice as they were laying static on the bottom. a bottom bouncer rig produced 8 out of the 9 takes trolled at under 1mph, they just arent hunting with this cold snap. but slowly place a bait past them and they couldnt refuse a free meal lol. a bit like me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:55 pm

lowdouble wrote:We never had a touch on the static deads either stubbo.  all the fish were covered in lice as they were laying static on the bottom.  a bottom bouncer rig produced 8 out of the 9 takes trolled at under 1mph,  they just arent hunting with this cold snap.  but slowly place a bait past them and they couldnt refuse a free meal lol.   a bit like me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
was it the bottom bouncer with deads or lives and what size weight do you use pal if you don't mind me asking.. Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:28 am

No livebaits allowed in the republic Stubbo Sad 6oz leads and mono used as the stem. deads work nearly as well as lives. keep moving super slow and just trip the bottom, I use a catfish rattle on the lead too so as to make a little noise every time the lead hits a pebble or swan mussel etc. They seem to like the presentation anyway lol.
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:54 am

stubbo wrote:went out this morning early , really up for it..... got to the lake and the boat was ready and waiting for me ,
set up with  3 floats in 22foot of water everything looked spot ...cast out my half mackerel  dead baits and waited, and waited and waited  
never had a twitch or a sniff  , normally there are jacks on offer and a very good chance of a biggy too.. but nowt happened , that's piking for you.. still cant wait till the next outing  Very Happy
had a fair few of those days stubbo just minus the boat.
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:20 pm

No pike during this morning's roach bashing (or indeed any sign of them), but did get a nice 5lb 10oz brown trout on twitched roach deadbait. Largest brownie I've had to date.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:34 pm

Different water today,me and my mate had 5 fish between 9-13lb

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:37 pm

silkmen wrote:
stubbo wrote:went out this morning early , really up for it..... got to the lake and the boat was ready and waiting for me ,
set up with  3 floats in 22foot of water everything looked spot ...cast out my half mackerel  dead baits and waited, and waited and waited  
never had a twitch or a sniff  , normally there are jacks on offer and a very good chance of a biggy too.. but nowt happened , that's piking for you.. still cant wait till the next outing  Very Happy
had a fair few of those days stubbo just minus the boat.
first session back on the lake up your end pal infact its the first proper session this season apart from the odd stint spinning earlier on in the year , a nice fish came out on the bank opposite me on the boat Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:43 pm

J Robinson wrote:No pike during this morning's roach bashing (or indeed any sign of them), but did get a nice 5lb 10oz brown trout on twitched roach deadbait. Largest brownie I've had to date.
went pike fishing in Nottingham a couple of years ago on a trout water and caught a 14lb rainbow on half mackerel it gave me an brilliant fight too.... no pike just trout were caught:D
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:54 pm

stubbo wrote:
J Robinson wrote:No pike during this morning's roach bashing (or indeed any sign of them), but did get a nice 5lb 10oz brown trout on twitched roach deadbait. Largest brownie I've had to date.
went pike fishing in Nottingham a couple of years ago on a trout water and caught a 14lb rainbow on half mackerel  it gave me an brilliant fight too.... no pike just trout were caught:D  

That's a chunk of a rainbow! Very Happy

This brownie didn't fight that well unfortunately. On the pole on 4lb 12oz line it would have been a good fight, but 50lb braid, even with a forgiving clutch setting makes fairly short work of it. I'd swear blind the pike fight harder, pound for pound.

What was entertaining is that I saw the trout in question 20 seconds before zip across my swim chasing a roach just under the surface. Quickly set the pole down and lobbed the roach in and it went away immediately. Quite satisfying casting to (and hooking) a fish you've just seen.

The brown trout run to just about 10lb in there, so I expect that I'll get a larger fish in time.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:57 pm

the bat wrote:Different water today,me and my mate had 5 fish between 9-13lb
is that the same venue we spoke about last week pal.....Very Happy well in
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:00 pm

J Robinson wrote:
stubbo wrote:
went pike fishing in Nottingham a couple of years ago on a trout water and caught a 14lb rainbow on half mackerel  it gave me an brilliant fight too.... no pike just trout were caught:D  

This brownie didn't fight that well unfortunately. On the pole on 4lb 12oz line it would have been a good fight, but 50lb braid, even with a forgiving clutch setting makes fairly short work of it. I'd swear blind the pike fight harder, pound for pound.

What was entertaining is that I saw the trout in question 20 seconds before zip across my swim chasing a roach just under the surface. Quickly set the pole down and lobbed the roach in and it went away immediately. Quite satisfying casting to (and hooking) a fish you've just seen.

The brown trout run to just about 10lb in there, so I expect that I'll get a larger fish in time.
if you like that , why don't you try fishing for pike on big pike flys it is heart stopping when a big pike takes your fly/ lure on the surface
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:24 pm

one of those micro jack days. 20 takes maybe Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 8 landed to about 5lb. where oh where do the big girls go sometimes affraid
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:36 pm

lowdouble wrote:one of those micro jack days.   20 takes maybe Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed    8 landed to about 5lb.   where oh where do the big girls go sometimes affraid
probably not far away from the shoal bait fish bet you have vast shoals where you are pal needle in a haystack comes to mind. Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:45 pm

stubbo wrote:
J Robinson wrote:
stubbo wrote:

if you like that , why don't you try fishing for pike on big pike flys  it is heart stopping when a big pike takes your fly/ lure on the surface

I see the appeal, but fly fishing just doesn't do it for me (not in any form). The extent to which I enjoy lure fishing is creeping along rivers flicking spinners into swims, or drifting on a boat across weed beds fishing shallow diving plugs. Otherwise it's deadbaiting, or other coarse fishing.

I think the issue for piking up here is perhaps that there isn't the stock density you find on the more productive waters further south, so finding fish can be tougher. Couple that with the inclement weather, and fly fishing becomes unappealing. On the loch I deadbait from the boat, I nearly always get blown off the water come mid morning. Follows the same pattern most days - dead calm at sunrise, with the wind building over the course of the morning.

I'm enjoying my roaching/occasional piking at the moment. I'll get back to boat fishing for pike come late spring - I've always found summer to be the best season by far up here for piking.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next