PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody Catching

+28
Flyfishin
J Robinson
DELBOY
-CrAiG-
Pikeypete
Tigi113
matt859
leondodd
stephen7
D@veG
dave van dessel
coops440
nopikehere
fatcaff
MAD BAD ANGLER
Eric Edwards
the bat
piketastic
mal wynne
Dave-Newman
psion
lowdouble
admandino
rozzo
adie1200
Idlepiker
stubbo
silkmen
32 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anybody Catching - Page 29 Empty Re: Anybody Catching

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:29 am

the bat wrote:I had a 13-01 and a 7,my mate had an 11-08,never seen a hook😉
well done catching on a new venue first time out stick at it , could throw up a special fish...good luck pal Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfishin Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Some great fish !
Went out last week to only see the whole lake frozen!!! P*ssed of was an understatement ahah Very Happy going to the river this week shouldn't be frozen Wink Wink

Flyfishin

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:35 am

Happened to us few yrs ago in Scotland,fish sat then woke up to a 10 miles long loch frozen solid!

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:46 am

stubbo wrote:
adie1200 wrote:
J Robinson wrote:Out this afternoon roach bashing on the pole, but got a nice 7lb 12oz pike just a couple of feet from my keep net. Fell to a 4" roach on a single, barbless hook. Find myself increasingly choosing to avoid trebles. Unhooking is such a doddle, and they are nearly always hooked in the scissors. A 7lber is a small fish, but hooked 5ft from the bank on a tiny 6ft kayak rod, it's quite exciting.

Sounds like its stuffed with roach mate Very Happy good fun though on a light pole and handy for free bait as well  Very Happy
I know it can't be helped hooking them in the scissors but I wish there was a way to avoid it i'm not a lovely of hooking in the scissors as it can dislocate the jaw but it can't be helped  Shocked  and if someone comes up with a way to avoid it please let me know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
like I said earlier been there and done the single hook thing , better for the fish to stick with trebles , theres more chance it would hook up in another part of the mouth , for me the pikes welfare comes first..... Shocked

I had no idea that a single hook posed a threat to the welfare of a pike. Is this even the case with smaller fish (there is nothing past 9-10lb in this water)?
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 am

J Robinson wrote:
stubbo wrote:
adie1200 wrote:
J Robinson wrote:Out this afternoon roach bashing on the pole, but got a nice 7lb 12oz pike just a couple of feet from my keep net. Fell to a 4" roach on a single, barbless hook. Find myself increasingly choosing to avoid trebles. Unhooking is such a doddle, and they are nearly always hooked in the scissors. A 7lber is a small fish, but hooked 5ft from the bank on a tiny 6ft kayak rod, it's quite exciting.

Sounds like its stuffed with roach mate Very Happy good fun though on a light pole and handy for free bait as well  Very Happy
I know it can't be helped hooking them in the scissors but I wish there was a way to avoid it i'm not a lovely of hooking in the scissors as it can dislocate the jaw but it can't be helped  Shocked  and if someone comes up with a way to avoid it please let me know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
like I said earlier been there and done the single hook thing , better for the fish to stick with trebles , theres more chance it would hook up in another part of the mouth , ize 4s treblesfor me the pikes welfare comes first..... Shocked

I had no idea that a single hook posed a threat to the welfare of a pike. Is this even the case with smaller fish (there is nothing past 9-10lb in this water)?
not everyone agrees but I have a theory on using single hooks , like I said over the years you go through stages of trying all sorts of edges and methods , personally I fell singles pose a threat of being wolfed down without snagging up in the mouth areas, and some people still leave a take far to long in cases. which could prove fatal to the fish , in the past I have remove single hooks from pikes stomach throat area. and in a few cases they were fishing with mono and not wire traces, don't get me wrong I pike can snaffle a bait down at a amazing speed even with 2 size 4s trebles , so there will be the odd deep hooking anyway , and another point is hook strength, I would have thought a trebles construction would be stonger than a single hook . I take it you use a wire trace to your single hook method. do you crimp or twist pal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Anybody Catching - Page 29 P1030514

Pike are like buses you wait ages for a big one and then two come at once. Had this one at 23 lb. yesterday. My mate also had 18.1/2 lb as well.

I tried to rotate the picture but could not do it.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:49 pm

psion wrote:Anybody Catching - Page 29 P1030514

Pike are like buses you wait ages for a big one and then two come at once. Had this one at 23 lb. yesterday. My mate also had 18.1/2 lb as well.

good looking fish pal looks a very nice spot to fish ...... was you on the river again pal and do you float fish or ledger

well in
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Not this time its a reservoir. I do float fish but most on the time its ledgering. I caught this one on my pop up rig.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Anybody Catching - Page 29 P1030514_zpsxfgqmzfv
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Thats better

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:29 pm

psion wrote:Thats better
well in psion looks a cracker mate.
iam out again thursday either on the rez or a lake up the road
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:32 pm

You do catch some beautiful looking Pike Psion, real stunners. Well done. I am out tomorrow night and Thursday so fingers crossed for one like yours bounce bounce bounce
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Good luck I hope you do. I have book my trip over to sunny Ireland for the 10th-17th June.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:22 pm

stubbo wrote:
not everyone agrees but I have a theory on using single hooks , like I said over the years you go through stages of trying all sorts of edges and methods , personally I fell singles pose a threat of being wolfed down without snagging up in the mouth areas, and some people still leave a take far to long in cases. which could prove fatal to the fish , in the past I have remove single hooks from pikes stomach throat area. and in a few cases they were fishing with mono and not wire traces,  don't get me wrong I pike can snaffle a bait down at a amazing speed even with 2 size 4s trebles , so there will be the odd deep hooking anyway , and another point is hook strength,  I would have thought a trebles construction would be stonger than a single hook .  I take it you use a wire trace to your single hook method. do you crimp or twist  pal

Crimp, but I've never had a hook come off a trace (always use a trace). I don't usually use a single (I'm usually 2 size 8 Fox carbon trebles - nice hooks, and very tough) but as I'm presenting a fairly small bait, a single seemed sensible. On this trout pond I am usually fishing directly under my rod tip (it's deep close in) and I strike immediately. I nearly always fish small baits, even on waters with larger fish and it's been a while since my last deep hooked fish. I find I hit many more fish this way, and the early strike keeps the hooks in the mouth rather than the throat. My most successful bait is a 3" section of mackerel. So many fish fall to that.

Anyway, every day is a school day and I shall certainly take onboard the comments regarding single hooks. I'll persist with them on the trout water, but I won't take them out on the waters with larger fish where I'm not fishing under my rod tip. Also, this water only permits one rod at a time, and one float, 5ft from the feet with my full attention is hard to ignore!
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Well in yet again psion. That fish is as good as it gets mate, beautiful markings.
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:17 pm

Indeed a stunning fish. Huge head on it too - looks like it could go a lot bigger come spring and spawning.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Well i'm off to take my pike floats for a swim tomorrow lol! might even try putting some bait on the hooks see if that works lol!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:32 am

adie1200 wrote:Well i'm off to take my pike floats for a swim tomorrow lol!  might even try putting some bait on the hooks see if that works lol!
good luck Adie
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 am

Anybody Catching - Page 29 20161210
out with rozzo on the rez 1 1st cast
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:41 am

silkmen wrote:Anybody Catching - Page 29 20161210
out with rozzo on the rez 1 1st cast
. Nice one jake😉

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Nice one Jake Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:31 pm

adie1200 wrote:Well i'm off to take my pike floats for a swim tomorrow lol!  might even try putting some bait on the hooks see if that works lol!

Well I think I must need new floats mine don't know how to swim they just sat there all day treading water lol! lol! lol! lol! yet another blank Embarassed Embarassed

I was on a canal near Doncaster where I know there's some good pike into the 20's but the water was pushing through and a bit more colour than normal no idea why it was pushing through maybe something to do with the extra water that we've had lately Shocked Shocked its usually not moving much at all just my luck lol! lol!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:48 pm

keep at it adie they will come soon enough.
been out wjth rozzo today we had 3 between us and rozzo lost 1..been a nice day on the bank..caught a fish with some kind of ulcer thing on it and blind in 1 eye poor thing.
Anybody Catching - Page 29 20161213
Anybody Catching - Page 29 20161212
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:06 pm

I'm sure they will come sooner or later Jake Very Happy Very Happy
Shame about the pikes eye and ulcer but it must be managing ok if its still feeding Very Happy
It might have been someone's hook that did the damage to its eye Crying or Very sad
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:15 pm

adie1200 wrote:I'm sure they will come sooner or later Jake Very Happy Very Happy
Shame about the pikes eye and ulcer but it must be managing ok if its still feeding Very Happy
It might have been someone's hook that did the damage to its eye Crying or Very sad
you can see the ulcer thing just before its dorsil fin adie
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next