Hooks and stuff

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Hooks and stuff

Post  Andy Webster on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:20 pm

Okay then, as it was mentioned in another post I thought I'd start you off with a hook topic.

I have used size 4 doubles from Partridge in the past but I missed a good number of runs so I am now happier using trebles in size 6 and 8. I use a standard two hook rig with no bells and whistles (or sleeves etc).

Andy

_________________
Andy Webster
www.pikeangler.co.uk
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2008-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Doncaster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  BradfordLad on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Just tagging on Andy as i'm confused as what hooks to purchase and there's not a lot of debate on the forum on this subject.

I have tried to fnd a supplier for VMC hooks but could only find Ebay sellers and i dont fancy a biddy war as none of them where BUY IT NOW ?

Can anyone recommend OWNER trebles for deadbait fishing ?

Thanks Paul
BradfordLad
BradfordLad

Posts : 131
Join date : 2009-11-01
Location : Bradford City

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Andy Webster on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi Bradfordlad

I have used Owner trebles but the less expensive eagle claw are fine IMHO.

Try this link http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/search_results.asp?section=112

Andy

_________________
Andy Webster
www.pikeangler.co.uk
Andy Webster
Andy Webster

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2008-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Doncaster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Have any of you guys tried circle hooks for pike?
I know "trebs" are effective but the guilt kills me on the odd occation that you end up gut hooking a fish!!! Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  robh107 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:52 pm

i used size 6 drennan super carbons for all my bait fishing for pike..... they have never let me down
robh107
robh107

Posts : 835
Join date : 2008-11-28
Age : 39
Location : hull, east yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:40 pm

OK, if nobody has tried circle hooks for pike then I will and report back on the outcome......... geek

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  nickcarpy on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:50 pm

used them for catfish,,[circled hooks]
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Posts : 1733
Join date : 2008-11-03
Age : 47
Location : hatfield doncaster

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Bazz on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:55 pm

duane wrote:OK, if nobody has tried circle hooks for pike then I will and report back on the outcome......... geek


explain what one is, Duane..?

Bazz

Posts : 1188
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:09 pm

How did you get on with them then Nick?
Sorry Bazz, I just assumed everyone was familiar with circle hooks. Embarassed
Granted, they are a bit weird and look as if they couldn't hook anything, but they do the job brilliantly......lip hook every time with the end result that the chances of harming the fish are greatly minimized!!!
[img]Hooks and stuff Circlehook1[/img]
[img]Hooks and stuff A-range-of-circle-hooks-Gre[/img]

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  deadbait on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm

i cant say they wont work but i would not feel right using them hooks for pike. get your self some quality trebles mate and make some traces up Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Posts : 331
Join date : 2009-01-21
Location : batley

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 pm

deadbait wrote:i cant say they wont work but i would not feel right using them hooks for pike. get your self some quality trebles mate and make some traces up Very Happy

Same way I felt the first time I saw them Deadbait but they are largely advocated in the neck of the woods which I come from and I can vouch that they do work, and brilliantly at that.....
Big secret with them is that you must not strike the fish as you normally would. This does take some getting used to but once you have diciplined yourself to resist this temptation you will be amazed at the results............. as I said, lip hook every time with the end result that the chances of harming the fish are greatly minimized!!! Laughing
Check this out..........use it, don't use it geek


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Lefty on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:28 pm

I've never tried circle hooks but apparently you always hook 'em in the lip or the scissors without fail.

As Duane says, you have to resist that temptation to strike. It's the 'turning' of the hook as it's is passing over the lip or scissors on the way out of the mouth that nobbles 'em.

They have been used for pike fishing with some degree of success. I read about them on some website a long time ago. Sorry, don't know the site and the way my memory is, I'm highly unlikely to remember. If our lass asks me to go to the shop for more than 2 things she needs to write it down for me Embarassed
Lefty
Lefty

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2008-08-26
Age : 50
Location : Cadeby

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  greg on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:35 pm

duane wrote:How did you get on with them then Nick?
Sorry Bazz, I just assumed everyone was familiar with circle hooks. Embarassed
Granted, they are a bit weird and look as if they couldn't hook anything, but they do the job brilliantly......lip hook every time with the end result that the chances of harming the fish are greatly minimized!!!
[img]Hooks and stuff Circlehook1[/img]
[img]Hooks and stuff A-range-of-circle-hooks-Gre[/img]

if anyone uses circle hooks for pike fishing thay must be nuts........

IF you hook them in the scissors, it will make a mess of the fish trying to get the hook out.
i wont use them for pike, but thats my opinion study
greg
greg

Posts : 666
Join date : 2009-01-11
Age : 53
Location : SCOTLAND

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:43 pm

.................and you are entitled to it Greg. Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  robh107 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:30 pm

tbh i cant see them being any worse than a big single...... thats one of the reasons i still stick to small trebles despite alot of people trying to preach about singles to me, at the end of the day a large single will penetrate much deeper than a small treble will, and if you deep hook one on a single?? oh dear
robh107
robh107

Posts : 835
Join date : 2008-11-28
Age : 39
Location : hull, east yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  greg on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:05 pm

i've seen the damage thay can do, in comparison to a single hook, it doesnt go in inside the mouth then come out the outside. if i've said that rite... it go's between the inner and outer flesh. as been said you dont strike the fish just lean into it. i'm not going to say it will happen every time, but when it does you have a problem.


thanks for the reply rob Very Happy
greg
greg

Posts : 666
Join date : 2009-01-11
Age : 53
Location : SCOTLAND

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Lefty on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 pm

robh107 wrote:tbh i cant see them being any worse than a big single...... thats one of the reasons i still stick to small trebles despite alot of people trying to preach about singles to me, at the end of the day a large single will penetrate much deeper than a small treble will, and if you deep hook one on a single?? oh dear
If you are used to trebles, happy with your performance using them and have sufficient knowledge of how to deal with an awkwardly hooked fish then I see your point (no pun intended) robh.

Same with everybody else for that matter. If you want to use them, then do so.

I have always used singles with the biggest I've ever used being a size 2/0. I used these (flank of baitfish) in conjunction with a size 4 (root of tail) but just recently have gone onto using just the one single of size 4. This is used with the tagging method which is basically hair rigging the baitfish.

I have only ever once deep hooked a pike and was glad I was using a single as I feel this made the experience much easier for me to handle. It was when my youngest son wasn't very old and it was my week to get up to him during the night so my reactions weren't as quick as they should have been. Don't worry, the fish had no major damage.

I have seen the damage that can be inflicted using overly large hooks and it wasn't until I gave it some thought about 2 hook setups and seeing how, if the fish is hooked by just one hook, it leaves one hook free to flail around which could potentially hook the fish in an eye.

I for one do not like the idea of this hence the move to just the one hook.

Each to their own, and all that, but I won't use trebles for my pike fishing.

Just my two pennorth.
Lefty
Lefty

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2008-08-26
Age : 50
Location : Cadeby

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  robh107 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:14 pm

i agree mate.... and wont knock you at all for having a different view to me, its just the way each of us thinks about our fishing.
robh107
robh107

Posts : 835
Join date : 2008-11-28
Age : 39
Location : hull, east yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Gents, gents, gents........... Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day the potential to hook a fish badly is always there whether you are using single J hooks, long shank, short shank, single circle hooks, or trebles. I also think that it is important, as anglers, to take cognisense of this and accept that from time to time things are going to happen which are beyond our control. It is not the end of the world and Pike will not dissapear off the face of the planet as a result of it. Let's face it, their are a lot worse things the Pike have to worry about than what type of hook is nabbing them! Shocked

The only way to truly do no harm to all fish is to stop fishing alltogether................ don't know about you chaps but I aint giving up one of the major pleasures in my life???

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  greg on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Lefty wrote:
robh107 wrote:tbh i cant see them being any worse than a big single...... thats one of the reasons i still stick to small trebles despite alot of people trying to preach about singles to me, at the end of the day a large single will penetrate much deeper than a small treble will, and if you deep hook one on a single?? oh dear
If you are used to trebles, happy with your performance using them and have sufficient knowledge of how to deal with an awkwardly hooked fish then I see your point (no pun intended) robh.

Same with everybody else for that matter. If you want to use them, then do so.

I have always used singles with the biggest I've ever used being a size 2/0. I used these (flank of baitfish) in conjunction with a size 4 (root of tail) but just recently have gone onto using just the one single of size 4. This is used with the tagging method which is basically hair rigging the baitfish.

I have only ever once deep hooked a pike and was glad I was using a single as I feel this made the experience much easier for me to handle. It was when my youngest son wasn't very old and it was my week to get up to him during the night so my reactions weren't as quick as they should have been. Don't worry, the fish had no major damage.

I have seen the damage that can be inflicted using overly large hooks and it wasn't until I gave it some thought about 2 hook setups and seeing how, if the fish is hooked by just one hook, it leaves one hook free to flail around which could potentially hook the fish in an eye.

I for one do not like the idea of this hence the move to just the one hook.

Each to their own, and all that, but I won't use trebles for my pike fishing.

Just my two pennorth.


are the hooks you use just normal bait hooks, or circle hooks .....
greg
greg

Posts : 666
Join date : 2009-01-11
Age : 53
Location : SCOTLAND

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Good news chaps, I just checked my hook supply which I brought over with me and you are not going to believe it but i never brought a single circle hook with............. go figure - it must be a sign??? Laughing
Having said this, I have got a shed load of "Bandit" 1/0 & 2/0 short shank hooks and "Octopus" 2/0 short shanks. Would these be suitable for pike or should i be buying some trebles rather?
Also, do you guys only use steel wire traces or can a person use heavy breaking strain mono as an alternative - only ever used steel wire trace for targeting sharks in SA............ Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:42 pm

know where you coming from pal on stiff mono[fished for big game myself] but think wire trace are better,more supple ect.
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Posts : 1733
Join date : 2008-11-03
Age : 47
Location : hatfield doncaster

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  greg on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:45 pm

scratch


Last edited by greg on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : --it happens)
greg
greg

Posts : 666
Join date : 2009-01-11
Age : 53
Location : SCOTLAND

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 pm

???? wots rubber lugs then greg??
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Posts : 1733
Join date : 2008-11-03
Age : 47
Location : hatfield doncaster

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  adie1200 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:52 pm

greg wrote:getting a few rubber lugs in this fourm now Evil or Very Mad .

i think i'll just feck off for good...................

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Shocked
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Posts : 3649
Join date : 2008-11-05
Age : 62
Location : Doncaster

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Hooks and stuff Empty Re: Hooks and stuff

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum