PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

home made traces

+25
Piker_Geoff
noodle
daveb
Andy Macfarlane
bull
Bazz
paddy pike
pikebob
essox_lucius1
esoxjeff
onetoner
alex wyness
stubbo
Andy Webster
noz
greg
Alex Makk
adie1200
nightwatchman
tootall
Lefty
robh107
patch
MAD BAD ANGLER
dave78
29 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

home made traces - Page 3 Empty Re: home made traces

Post  nightwatchman Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:32 pm

MrMakk wrote:

home made traces - Page 3 Dscf1110

Nice job Mr Makk. Wink
I used to double back my trace wire into the crimps like you, however I noticed on some long distance casting my main line sometimes would get caught on that loop!
So now I don't bother to double it back and then place some shrink tubing on to tidy it up.

Jobs a good un' afro

home made traces - Page 3 Pike-trace
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  alex wyness Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:47 pm

MrMakk wrote:I was shown how to make traces by Bazz.........The thing that gets me is that you have all diffrent crimps and swivles etc.... What would you list as a kit for someone like me (who is starting deadbaiting/ what crimp size,wire poundage sixe hooks etc...)?
dead baiting is a thing of ther past fot me i have a new way to catch pike not done before would you like to know

alex wyness

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:40 am

nightwatchman wrote:
MrMakk wrote:

home made traces - Page 3 Dscf1110

Nice job Mr Makk. Wink
I used to double back my trace wire into the crimps like you, however I noticed on some long distance casting my main line sometimes would get caught on that loop!
So now I don't bother to double it back and then place some shrink tubing on to tidy it up.

Jobs a good un' afro

home made traces - Page 3 Pike-trace

it's called 'double back' Rolling Eyes i was wondering what is was called, i probably knew it and just forgot Rolling Eyes
cheers

Last edited by MrMakk on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add signature)
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:44 am

alex wyness wrote:
MrMakk wrote:I was shown how to make traces by Bazz.........The thing that gets me is that you have all diffrent crimps and swivles etc.... What would you list as a kit for someone like me (who is starting deadbaiting/ what crimp size,wire poundage sixe hooks etc...)?
dead baiting is a thing of ther past fot me i have a new way to catch pike not done before would you like to know

Not at the moment Alex, Smile
I'm still learning baitfishing and yet have not caught a fish on this method, Crying or Very sad
I don't want to add more to my plate than what i can handle, if you get what I mean Wink Smile
Cheers anyway,

Last edited by MrMakk on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add signature)
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 am

with traces i think it comes down to what you prefer or what works for you. i like carbo flex but some people think its too stiff and its trashed after 1 or 2 encounters with a tothy critter but it works for me,,, as for hooks at the momment im using kamassan size 6 semi barbed which work ok. i prefer partridge wide gape trebles but not every shop stocks them and of course proper swivels designed for the job.. i always like too have a lesser breaking strain wire than main line so that if it came to a break then the trace would go first
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 am

alex wyness wrote:

So Alex when are you going to let us in on this secret weapon of yours Very Happy Very Happy

Don't keep us in suspense for too long mate Laughing Laughing

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  alex wyness Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 pm

i'm only waiting on the bank manager giving me the cash to get this this new product in every fishing shop in the uk will be sold world wide as well . i will give out my website soon . it takes a lot of time to get this up a running . Very Happy

alex wyness

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:28 pm

alex wyness wrote:i'm only waiting on the bank manager giving me the cash to get this this new product in every fishing shop in the uk will be sold world wide as well . i will give out my website soon . it takes a lot of time to get this up a running . Very Happy

well time will tell alex.... i hope it goes well for you Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:49 pm

I have just made a trace with the shrink tubing which nightwatchman has suggested,

home made traces - Page 3 Dscf1117

anyone tell me any pros or cons with trace i have made? i dont want to make a bunch of em then to find out they not going to work proper.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 am

looks fine to me alex..... you even tie the second treble on the same way i do Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:03 pm

nice job Mr Makk, why not get hold of some red shrink tube, it gives that little extra attractive look ( red bait tags) home made traces - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 pm

esoxjeff wrote:nice job Mr Makk, why not get hold of some red shrink tube, it gives that little extra attractive look ( red bait tags) home made traces - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

will look out for them (i thought they came in only black 'n' green) thanks jeff
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Nice job Mr Makk

How far apart are your trebles?
If your using Smelt or Roach then 3" is about right. You can move up to 4" or more for big mackeral Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 pm

nightwatchman wrote:Nice job Mr Makk

How far apart are your trebles?
If your using Smelt or Roach then 3" is about right. You can move up to 4" or more for big mackeral Wink

i use the width of my hand as a guage it's about 3" away,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:44 pm

To get them spot on I measure mine with a tape or ruler.
All mine are spot on 3" Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 pm

nightwatchman wrote:To get them spot on I measure mine with a tape or ruler.
All mine are spot on 3" Wink

does it help with the size of the bait when having to spot on measure, or can it be dond in my way of guageing?
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:56 pm

MrMakk wrote:
esoxjeff wrote:nice job Mr Makk, why not get hold of some red shrink tube, it gives that little extra attractive look ( red bait tags) home made traces - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

will look out for them (i thought they came in only black 'n' green) thanks jeff

try a local model aircraft/nos car supplier,mate home made traces - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

Mr makk.

You just need to make sure your traces are suitable to the size of the bait you use.
The majority of my baits are smelt, roach and joey mackerel or cut down full mackerel so 3" is right for my use.
All you need to make sure is if the top treble goes through the root of the tail the next treble down should not go past the gill covers or the head or you will not have any soft flesh to put the treble into.
Also if the second treble is 1/2 or 3/4 down the flank you will get a better hook up rate when the pike grabs your bait. Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm

nightwatchman wrote:Mr makk.

You just need to make sure your traces are suitable to the size of the bait you use.
The majority of my baits are smelt, roach and joey mackerel or cut down full mackerel so 3" is right for my use.
All you need to make sure is if the top treble goes through the root of the tail the next treble down should not go past the gill covers or the head or you will not have any soft flesh to put the treble into.
Also if the second treble is 1/2 or 3/4 down the flank you will get a better hook up rate when the pike grabs your bait. Wink

thanks,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:56 pm

[quote="nightwatchman"]

thats to far bud, asking for trubble. hook no further than the dorsel fin.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:26 am

Yeah, thats the point im trying to raise.
The dorsal fin is the best place but we all know baits come in all different sizes and you sometimes find your last treble doesn't always end up where you want it to go.
I suppose the best bet is to carry 2 or 3 of every size? But you'd end up with quite a big collection!
That's why sometimes you have to find a compromise?
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 pm

nightwatchman wrote:Yeah, thats the point im trying to raise.
The dorsal fin is the best place but we all know baits come in all different sizes and you sometimes find your last treble doesn't always end up where you want it to go.
I suppose the best bet is to carry 2 or 3 of every size? But you'd end up with quite a big collection!
That's why sometimes you have to find a compromise?

if you have your hook around the area of the head isnt that asking for trouble, can you compromise the life of a 20lber. just make up a trace on the bank, or carry the traces to the bank.
i aint being funny, when you go on about pikes safety and deep hooking then comment like that. Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  patch Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:14 pm

comment like what Laughing
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:21 pm

One thing more important than where to put the hooks is knowing when to pull into a run I.E Good bite indication !!
It doesn't matter where you put the hooks if you strike too late you have more chance of deep hooking !!
But yes the hooks are best put towards the tail end of your bait to help towards avoiding bad hookups

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Greg I think you've got the wrong end of the stick!

I'm not advocating hooking it in the head with a treble.
In my post I said the bottom treble should not go past the gill covers or the head so that means don't hook it in the head!

In practicable terms we all know that fish come in different sizes and so do traces, its down to the angler to make sure the set up is fish friendly.
Something I do!
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next