PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody Catching???

+37
piketastic
steve.w
edbeartwo
plantsbrook
hurricane
fatcaff
greg
Phil Blakey
jimlad
Roly
marshman
dickjacksmith
Eric Edwards
pike hunter returns
plumb68
Bazz
Steve French
Andy Webster
craigpix2000
esoxjeff
JAYZEE28
Edbeef
noodle
Andy Macfarlane
Nashr
stubbo
kell
tootall
MAD BAD ANGLER
adie1200
nickcarpy
tackle tart
Alex Makk
Lefty
deadbait
paddy pike
gavin1928
41 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Empty Re: Anybody Catching???

Post  craigpix2000 Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Well i had a couple of hours out with Mart this morning him with his fly rod me with the jigflys......
He kicked my blep litteraly theres no feeling worse than being beaten on a venue you usually manage a few from i managed 1 jack that decided to play silly buggers and spin for hell lol
I did actually have a go with Marts fly rod and i can honestly say il stick with a propper rod and reel jesus them things should come with health warnings nothing like coming close to a pike fly in back of your head lol
cheers Mart mate will after get out again soon
craigpix2000
craigpix2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:00 pm

A Friday perch saved me from a blank today, Very Happy Very Happy

clicky
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:03 pm

I had a fish about 10lb follow my lure in until It was under the rod tip, I kept moving it left and right it just watched it then swam off Sad , then later had a take but it came off straight away, stayed in that spot and it followed my floating lure in until under the rod tip same thing again Sad, I had a run on dead bait too, that came off as well, Im crap at fishing lol
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 pm

lol! I think we've all had days like that mate Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:04 am

oh I forgot to mention, my brand new multiplier broke as well, plus when I got home I realised I had lost my camera, so i had to race back before it got dark and the only luck of the day was finding it in the first place I looked
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Started off around 09:45am due to missing the earlier train. But it didn't bother me that much as I have patience. Train finally came and i was on the tow path in no-time (took around 10-15mins to get to the destination).

As I was setting up two 'stoned' figures approached me and asked if I had wanted to buy a phone and other stuff? I politely declined knowing it's a dodgy dealing. soon enough i was got to my antics.

It was around 12 O'clock & I had covered one stretch of the cut and made my way to another section that produces a fish or two, casting at one end i made my way to the other end, and on the last peg I had a cast with a MH Photofinish 2" Crank`n`Shad crankbait in Brown/Yellow colour and as soon as I started to wind in and work the lure I felt a tug on the end of the line. ''A fish'' I though and yes a jack has got the lure... amazingly it had let go just as I lifted the rod to set the hooks, I told myself that I'm ''not going to leave it at that'' so I recast and worked the lure, hit! the jack took the bait, at around 2/3 the length I had cast, but once again it managed to spit it out. After a few more casts and dropped lure I'm now at the point where frustration is getting to my head, so i took a breather and tried again. This time I reeled in at a much slower speed and managed to set the hooks, the jack went on a real good scrap a tail walk, violent head shakes and several lunges before I landed it. So as soon as it hit the unhooking mat the jack was unhooked and weighed in no-time a quick photo to go with too.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 DSCF0558-1
4lb 12oz jack pike

The Okuma Octana 20FD is very nice! I'm well impressed with it and the braid is new to me (its Cortland {fly/game line people} master braid in sea green at 15lb), but same as the reel I'm well impressed

after that I had nothing else for the rest of the day, Dazz came round in the afternoon and had a good chat & cast of the gear whilst we both went to the local supermarket for a few bits (for Dazz) and a quick bite and drink (for me).
All in all an enjoyable day.

in the blog

Clicky - BLOG
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Caught these fine specimens today, got to love that 12inch lure Wink
Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 10032010
Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 10032011
Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 10032012
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:22 pm

got up bright and early, and got the train (on time today) to the canal, set up and started to chuck lures at around 09:00am. But got pestered by a pair of swans and a few ducks [anyone else heard a swan make cat sounding squeaks? I have today with one of my guests{unusual face}]. So I made my way down stream casting a few times at each stop, the wind was up and in the shade it is chilly so I opted for a deep diving lure to see if the fish are deeper. unfortunately I lost it to a tree after around 30mins with it on the end of the line Mad I attached a Rat-L Trap lure on in ''orange shad'' with SL trebles on, once I had got to a usual stretch and started to cast at one end making my way to the other, i felt a couple of small knocks at the start but found a couple of juvenile perch around the same size attacking it. I moved a few yards down and began to cast out again, on the secon cast i breeling in some weed Rolling Eyes but on the third i thought i had hit a snag. Well the 'snag' result was this

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 DSCF0584-1
3lb 7oz

this little beauty is a small'un it really didn't want to come up! Shocked as I said I'm expecting it a snag! It gave some cracking burst of speed trying to evade the net. At first i though it was the same jack I had caught last week :? I can certainly say it wasn't this was much shorter in length and had a bigger back, it also had some sort of scab on its 'mat' side. so I unhooked it with ease even though the lure was in it chops, a quick photo with the rod,reel and lure and the little sod swam off to have a sulk, I swapped the trace for a fresh one as the other was twisted and kinked.

I got on another stretch of the cut and cast out only to find the Rat-l-Trap is snagged, i attempted to persuade it to be free but the 'ping' of braid made my heart sink Mad Sad Sad Sad . Two lures now with only one fish! I had expected better today but nope looks like luck decided to play foul with me. I met up with Dazz so he could have an afternoons session with me. but before we got sorted I headed into the local supermarket for a quick bit and drink, I emerged with two bags of cookies [Rolo & Smartie] and two bottles of tango (they both were on offer at a nice price) after, we
headed off towards another stretch and began to fish. At this stage in time I'm feeling rubbish, to the extent I'm wanting to wrap up for the day. But instead of wrapping up I stayed and talked to Dazz for an hour, until he wrapped his gear up. we now have plans to fish another couple of waters, (probably as the cut is starting to get a little boring,) but still not sure where yet.

so 1 jack landed Very Happy Very Happy

but two lures lost Mad Mad Twisted Evil Sad

and me beeing in a crap mood. Mad
clicky
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:19 am

managed to get out for the day,
despite me having the comings of a summer cold and a banging headache I'll try my best for a write up.

we got at the bankside for around 09:30, my good friend Bazz fished the feeder whilst I roamed around with the lures. The weather was a bit miserable, low cloud, spotting rain & a chilly wind gave me doubts that it'll be a decent day for us both.

so I started to make my way along the bank of the reservoir casting and swapping lures to get a way of the action and running depth (with the canal its averages around 4ft whilst the reservoir was a lot deeper at over 10ft at places.) I finally settled for a MH 3'' fat belly shad in a pike pattern, this little'un goes quiet a depth if cranked good enough I'm guessing 6ft is the deepest I got out of it. But I wasn't interested in the depth, in fact I wanted to see how well it'll do when reeled in along a marginal reed line.

well I can certainly say it worked a treat, I cast along a margin and worked the lure along with pauses. It must of dived around 2ft so it's just out of visibility from the polars but as soon as it started to come up to the surface, WHAM!

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 DSCF0763-1-1
6lb 4oz

This jack didn't put much of a fight up, but gave a couple of lunges. Upon unhooking it somehow managed to get into a mess, one treble under the gill flaps and the other set at the top towards the other side of the jaw in a diagonal sort of way. well man made side cutters to make life a lot easier, a quick snip of a couple shanks and it released the pressure allowing me to carefully remove the hook close to the gills and soon enough a delicate procedure was a success and the fish swam out of my grip with heed.

By the current time it was getting on for a quick lunch, so i went back to where Bazz was fishing for much needed refreshments, whilst letting the lunch go down I began to play around with Bazz's fujifilm bridge camera.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Alex18-1

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Alex19-1

Neat eh? unsure on what insect it is so it's a 'bug'.

even manage to zoom in on a great crested grebe's nest
Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Alex10-1

& one fishing,
Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Alex17-1

after the play with the camera I got back to chucking lures only to not have another sniff. I even tried the other half where there were a whole row of uniform bivvies on the horizon. Sadly for Bazz he only had two twitches on the quiver, not even a skimmer, it got to around 16:00 and we decided to call it a day.

'here's me expecting to have been sold up and finished with the fishing!!' at least my headache is gone now and I'm ready for my pit.

Also in the blog clicky
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Empty had this recently second cast on the plug,good fun

Post  pike hunter returns Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 542
pike hunter returns
pike hunter returns

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:08 pm

I can't see anything
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:51 pm

me to???
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 pm

The link is missing !!!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pike hunter returns Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:48 pm

adie1200 wrote:The link is missing !!!
sorry but its myprofile pic,cant work out how to put it up
pike hunter returns
pike hunter returns

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:53 pm

adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Empty My pike

Post  pike hunter returns Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

if this works cheers adie

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 54213Pikehunterreturnspikepic

Last edited by adie1200 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added photo)
pike hunter returns
pike hunter returns

Back to top Go down

Post  dickjacksmith Mon May 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Went fishing on friday down the local canal, after a period of nothing at all (spawning season i presume) i had a few fish, only little jacks like but i'm happy with that. Im planning on a fair bit of summer pike fishing this year and it seems there bitting again.

i'm off again this friday so ill get some pictures hopefully.

I've only been fishing for pike since october and i'm yet to break the 10lb mark, i'm sure ill get there though.

only been on is forum for a day or so but its good to read through all the threads, learnt quite a lot just reading through.

Jack.

dickjacksmith

Back to top Go down

Post  dickjacksmith Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Caught on a new fox replicant the other day on my local res.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 11ru649

dickjacksmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Had Planned a session to fish the Trent yesterday with my mate Dazz (http://www.trentpiker.com/) as the weather looked best, but as the conditions went wet the coming Friday, the river level rose for Saturday and I decided the canal might be best worth a bash.
Got up bright and early yesterday morning (6:30) to get myself sorted with the breakfast nipped to the local shop to get a lotto ticket, some change for the train fare & a few sundries for the session, and last minute check on the lure gear and by 7:40 I was on the train and at 8:00(ish) I'm on the towpath. I clipped on a MH alphabet crank and began to fish.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 12-MHAlphabetCrank

Around an hour later I took a cast near a lily patch and worked the lure, when I catch a flash under the surface trailing the lure. My first though was a chub (which could of been a first) but I realised the stripes (perch) as it turned to swim back in the depths of the canal the fish would of been a nice catch as I guesstimate it's be scraping 1lb and half.

Met up with Dazz soon after, and in his first cast he managed to hook a nice perch.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 12Canal-Dazzperch

What a nice fish, well in Dazz.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 12-Dazzperchrelease

And the release, taken by your truly (can you just make out the fish?)

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 12-Dazzperchsplash

My first initial though were that it was the same sod I missed earlier(as it was from the same stretch of canal), but I doubted it. We carried on making our way up the canal casting our lures, I began to feel 'peckish' and we stopped for a break, I wanted to try a takeaway I/we've been passing as it's always smells so good.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 12-Lunch

Not the healthiest I'll admit but the chicken sure tasted nice and certainly filled a gap, all washed down with a can of Pepsi.

We soon on our way again casting lures anywhere that looked potential, it got on for around 15:30 and Dazz took his last cast and wrapped up as I carried on.
Made my way casting and changing lures, I got to a stretch that looked good, with plenty of cover and cover for me (a few shower clouds rolling over) so I clipped on a storm wildeye curltail spin (pre rigged shad with curl tail and a attachable spinnerbait arm).

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 12spinnershad

As I chucked it out in a few swims, I noticed a small jack was following and I decided to slow down the retrieve and Wham! the jack bit into the shad, but not good enough to where I could set the hook. Never mind, I had another couple casts before having an idea.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 12spinnerdawg

I attached the spinnerbait arm to a small/mini bulldawg, and cast out, on a steady retrieve it looks good, so to change I add a stop-pause retrieve certainly looks the business the blade still flutters on the sink and both the tail and blade work very well, soon enough I started to feel that I've had enough for the day.

so at around 18:00 I decided to make the walk back to the station, and call it a day. I checked the lotto result from last nights draw and I won £10, at least it'll get me a couple more train fares for a extra couple of sessions.

All in all an enjoyable day yesterday. and I'm looking forward to another session tomorrow.

Also in the blog - http://www.alexmakkfishing.com/
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Nice write-up Alex, have you written for any of the mags yet? Your writing is very readable.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Nice write-up Alex, have you written for any of the mags yet? Your writing is very readable.

Thanks Eric,

No not written for any magazines yet, never even though about it in all honesty.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:41 am

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 DSCF11621

This thing landed on the mat today, us LAS forum users are having a 'pass the parcel' competition, (where someone catches a fish then pass this lure to next in line) about 6 teams with one lure per team with 8 participants being a team.

I decided I'll have a bash for this afternoon, casting my way from one stretch to another. It wasn't long before I got a sign of life, the lure landed under a tree and I began a slow retrieve and a little perch came chasing behind but as it was so small it dwarfed the lure. A while later I got to a stretch that has produced jacks in the past for me, once halfway down a cast in a opening near some lilies and a fish got the lure. I never managed to hook it but I wasn't bothered, as there is always another chance for a fish. That 'chance' wasn't long after, in fact just before Trent Piker met up with me for a quick few hours. I cast in the same place but a little short and began to slowly reel in with a twitch of the rod tip too (this make the lure flicker like a sick/injured bait fish) and wham! I certainly felt the fish hit and a lifted the rod to set the hooks successfully.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 PikeandMHFatBellyonthecanal29-06-12

Well I never weighed the jack, but I was happy enough as it had actually christened my Okuma spinning rod I got a couple months back, and the Exage 2500FC reel (the drag was smooth and set perfectly) that's loaded with some Sufix 832 braid that I have never used before but so far I'm impressed with it, it casts quiet and with no more effort than an underarm cast to get a lure where I want it.

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 MeandpikeCanal29-06-20122

Well it's also the first fish for a while, had about half a dozen sessions all with a blank,

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 MepikeCanal29-06-2012
unhooking the jack was a 'piece of cake'

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Unhookingjack29-06-2012

and was released safe and sound (likely to go off and sulk)

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Release29-06-2012

After Dazz has set himself up it wasn't long before he was in a fish, smaller than the one I caught but in absolutely inhaled his soft 4play and managed to get itself in a pickle in doing so. Hooked near the rakers and even though I managed to help Dazz unhook the jack, there were still complications,
we rested the fish until it swam from Dazz's grip and we both hope it make it.

After an hour fishing Dazz was needed back to his end to sort out a few things, I stayed an extra hour but not had a sniff nor follow.

All in all a good few hours on the cut,

Alex,

Updated on the blog - http://www.alexmakkfishing.com/
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Once again, I've been out with a some lures Very Happy

Anybody Catching??? - Page 4 Pike23-07-121-1

full report in the 'biking for some piking' thread or in my blog

http://www.alexmakkfishing.com/2012/07/biking-for-piking.html
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Well done Alex Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 pm

well in alex your getting good at the lure fishing lark
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next